Did I just prove the purple fringing is software?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mercury7, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

I experienced some fringing issues and got curious about the claims of coatings and internal reflections.... Please duplicate this and explain if you can... Set up a shot where the purple is very obvious, now simply switch to video mode.... It's gone right? Only did one experiment in my living room with a bright light but if it is coatings or internal reflections then it should still be there in my mind

2. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Interesting find, and no disrespect to you at all, but id say this is pretty much a non issue to begin with. How often will you compose a shot with glaring light right in the lens?

The 4S exhibits red circles of light in certain circumstances too. Its just individual camera artefacts, nothing of any concern.

3. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Video mode crops the image.

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

The real test is touse another app to take a picture (like Instragram without a filter). This is because currently, third-party apps don't have access to the "low-light" software advancements (Apple will make the API available soon as stated by numerous sources).

5. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it is a issue because I took a random photo at a birthday party and the overhead light created purple rain in half the photo... Just saying my 4s did not do that, also I realize the video crops but you can run the experiment and see that as you pan you can not duplicate the fringing in video mode. I wish people wouldn't dismiss this because apple can probably fix it

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

yep.

try camera+?

7. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes camera+ exhibits exact same purple... Only disappears in video mode.... Pan to duplicate exact angle after it crops

8. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I haven't seen the fringing. Could it be the camera changing aperture after switching into a different mode?

9. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought of the aperture thing.... Perhaps that is the fix, maybe apple can give us some default apertures to choose from .... Goes away from there simplicity model but if the aperture is what is causing this then I need to stop it down some

----------

Just to be clear.... In most normal snapshot photography there is almost always a lamp or something just off frame.... Apple should fix this if they can, especially if it is showing up a lot which it is in my case so far

----------

Additional experiment.... Fired up camera+ again and tried the independent exposure control by moving the circle around to lighten and darken the photo.... That does not effect the purple at all that I can tell, just lightens and darkens the saturation of it

10. nws0291 macrumors 6502

If you aim your studio lights at any DSLR and take a picture you will get the same purple lens flare. Direct vs indirect light is very different. It's a property of the physical lens. All iPhones and other small lens cameras are vulnerable to this.

Why do you think they sell so many different types of lens filters and most of the top glass from Nikon/Cannon are all huge. Wide open fast lenses. Also every lens comes with a lens hood to help mitigate the issue. Some even neew a small shield to block any incoming direct light.

[​IMG]

11. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Curious why no one is duplicating what I found instead of posting information... I know all about lens flare, it only takes a second to recreate this. I'll go read that review btw but that's not consistent with what I'm seeing on both my iphone5 ... If the purple is still there in video mode it is negligible

12. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Canon lenses only come with a lens hood if it's an "L" lens. :)

But yes, chromatic aberration is a physical property of lenses. Checking on some of the complaints though, it's a large area of the image affected by a purple haze. Not sure if this is common on smaller cameras or not, I've not seen the wider spread haze on my DSLR.

13. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Im a pro photographer with a £2000 camera and a £2000 lens. If I shine a light into it I get lens flare. Is the camera busted? No, its how things work, glass makes things flare. Thats why we have lens hoods. The colour of the flare depends on the filter I have attached.

It doesnt happen when I stop down my aperture and the ip5 has a wider aperture than my ip4 so its to be expected.

Answer, stop shining lights into your camera.

14. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

It's overcast here, and the indoor lights are not causing any purple tint that I can see. I've not had the problem myself yet, so I'm not sure how strong the light has to be, or how much purple I should be seeing.

15. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Since video mode is a crop of the frame, even when you move to the 'same framing' you've now got the lightsource IN the whole frame of the sensor, which is outside the area where the purple fringing occurs.

Fact is, the purple stuff is a complete non-issue if you know how to take a photo. It only appears with really bright sources on the very edge of the frame. Well, a good photo isn't going to have the light source on the edge of the frame 99.9% of the time. You're either going to compose to keep the source out of the frame, or you're going to include further in the frame (sunset, sunrise, backlit portraits, etc.)

16. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

.... One more thing..... This is not about lens flare.... It's about excessive lens flare..... Many many times worse than the 4s for whatever reason and will show itself with any bright lighting source just outside of the frame.... I promise this is a real issue and not just a uninformed amateur thing.... Can you avoid it? Of course you can but you should not have to deal with it in normal snapshots inside your home, a lamp just outside your frame should not cause an objectionable photo

17. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tiptizzle, not sure why your lighting is not showing it, both of my iphone5s are ... I hadn't taken any shots outdoors yet but have observed the effect with both incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, they are bright though, 90w in one and three 60w in the overhead in another room

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

19. lordhamster macrumors 6502

http://bit.ly/xClT6s

20. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Funny how people are so dismissive..... Apple screwed something up in the iPhone 5 that made lens flare worse than on the 4s.... That's all I was saying and suggesting that a software fix might be in order since it appears to be the same lens set as the 4s, if your iphone5 doesn't have excessive lens flare compared to your 4s then more power to you.

21. cRuNcHiE, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I agree the lens flare/fringing is worse on the iphone 5 than 4S.

It may be 'normal' due to optics, however it is still definitely worse than the 4S so obviously it is a problem. Newer model should work better not worse!

I have also found I am getting more blurry shots on my iphone 5 compared to my 4S in the same lighting conditions.

The issue appears at its worse right on the edge of the image for me. E.g if i have a light source just outside the viewfinder image, i can see purple on the edge of the photo. Video mode crops the image so you don't see it then.

see below, purple fringe on the left image where the light source is just outside the view. Photo on the right doesnt have it.

Attached Files:

22. Mercury7 thread starter macrumors 6502

So Crunchie... In your opinion is it something apple will try to address in a update or do you think the this is normal statement is all we will get ?

23. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Maybe the rest of the room was too bright for me to notice? Or maybe I just have bad eyesight.

----------

The lens is supposed to be different in the 5. Sapphire or whatever, plus I think they said they upgraded the lenses at the press conference, which would make sense since the phone is now thinner.

24. XboxMySocks, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Dude... It's lens flare. This is a physical property of any lens but especially one that is so tiny. There's no "update" to fix this. If you really want, you can take the Magenta saturation out of the photo post processing. Or you can simply stop holding it wrong and take a picture properly.