Did I just screw up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by capcaveman, Oct 5, 2011.

1. capcaveman, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

capcaveman macrumors member

So ebay is buying back iPhones today for cash (well paypal anyway) http://instantsale.ebay.com/articles/promo/1/?_trksid=p5197.m1256 after I mail in my phone and they check it out. My 4 is mint 32gb and the total offered is $357.

A few things worry me, one they could be overly critical when they get my phone and lower the amount. B, my upgrade isn't available 'til Oct 30. I have to use my old RZR on ATT. I called them and they assured me the phone will work, all I have to do is take it into the store for a new sim card which they offered to give me for free (usually $25) and told me NOT to use the data service on the RZR or else I'd loose my grandfathered unlimited plan.

So, I'll have to be without an iPhone for a month, use a crummy RZR, mail off my phone to another company that I only have ebay to vouch for all to get $357.

The thing that scares me the most is that come Oct 30 there will be a shortage of the 64gb 4s and I'm stuck with the RZR.

I went ahead and took the chance because I didn't want to deal with the hassles of selling it myself, the $357 was more than I got when I sold my 3GS. Also, I keep hearing a used 4 is going to tank in value. So anyone think I screwed up and will be using a RZR until Jan?

2. LagFighter macrumors regular

I'm doing essentially the exact same thing that you are, except that my upgrade is ready now and I'm substituting a BlackBerry Bold for the RAZR. But other than that, everything is exactly the same.

Don't worry so much. You obviously have it figured out, just let it happen.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

October...

iPhone 4S will be most likely sold out on both AT&T and Sprint. I expect Verizon one to be least popular.

I doubt iPhone 4S will be on back order until January. But, it will be hard to come by for next 1-2 months.

I would recommend talking to AT&T or Apple to have them hold iPhone 4S for you on the day that you are eligible for an upgrade.

I don't think 4S is a bad phone. In fact, it is the best smart phone still.

Did you make the right choice? In my opinion, no. Because I would not want to be without an iPhone. Besides, you still have to pay for the data. That's 30 dollars...

4. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

Crap, hopefully that's the only expense I forgot about...good point.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you had an unlimited data plan, the second you put your SIM in that RAZR you won't anymore - That would be a screw up.

6. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

Not according to the ATT rep I talked to, I asked her specifically if that would happen and she assured me it would not. I'm going to double and triple check that before popping in the SIM.

Oh and I can't use the SIM from my iphone 4 in the RZR anyway, not compatible. That's why I have to go in and get a new SIM at the ATT store for the crummy RZR.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the Verizon model will be less popular? I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I'm just curious about your reasoning. The reason I'm asking is because around campus I see more Verizon iPhone 4's than AT&T models.

8. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Since when have AT&T reps been reliable? :confused:

Haha, but for your sake I hope she's right.

9. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Considering the fact that you are hanging out in a phone forum for a company that you despise, and wasting your time bashing it, I don't think you should be telling anyone about mistakes.

You're life is a mistake at this point. Go get some fresh air. Apple isn't hurt by your stupid remarks, and you can go about your sad little life without worrying about what phones people carry.

10. Monkey-House macrumors newbie

I'm guessing because the IP4 came out this past Feb. Most of the people that wanted the iphone got them then.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Okay, that would make sense. Also they wouldn't be as far along in their contracts to warrant early upgrading or anything. I completely forgot about this point.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm thinking of doing this as well. Do you guys know if we need to send in the box? I still have mine, but if my estimated price is still the same regardless of sending in the box or not, I'd rather keep it.

13. cberry240 macrumors member

Anyone else getting a server error? I can't get a shipping label.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Can you update us on what carrier they are using for shipping? thanks

15. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

After you finalize it with ebay, you get the following email:

Thank you for cashing in with eBay Instant Sale powered by reseller Alltechwholesale.Your confirmation number is: xxxxxxxxxxx

There are just a few simple steps left:

Pack your Apple iPhone 4 32GB:
    Use a sturdy box and be sure to add bubble wrap or scrunched up newspaper to protectyour item. Please be sure to include any accessories you told us about as well.
    Print label:
    http://ebay.cexchange.com/online/cart/ViewConfirmationEbay.rails?orderid=xxxxxxxxxxx
    Tape it onto the box.
    Drop off at FedEx location:
    The closest FedEx location can be found at http://fedex.com/Dropoff/start
    Track your Shipment:
    Track your item through our status page. We will email you as soon as we have received your Apple iPhone 4 32GBso you will know your order has arrived safely.
    Get your Cash!:
    Your offer will be deposited into your PayPal account within two days after we receive the item(s), assuming that your evaluation of the condition matches ours.

To speed up the process and give yourself peace of mind, please remember to remove any passwords and delete ALL personal information from the items you're shipping. If you're sending any CDMA cell phones (Sprint, Nextel, and Verizon), please be sure to remove the phones from your accounts and pay any outstanding balances. Finally, don't forget to remove any memory chips, microSD cards, or SIM cards before sending your items in.

Electronics are pretty fragile, so please take care when packing them, especially when you have more than one. Keep those items safe!

Thank you so much for your partnership in protecting the environment and earning extra value by participating in Instant Sale. Team up with eBay Green Team and join a community of 250,000 eBay users who are inspiring the world to buy, sell and think green every day.

Thank you again for your business. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us at eBayInstantSale@cexchange.com or via phone at 800-351-6864.

Regards,
    eBay Instant Sale Customer Service Team powered by Alltechwholesale

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You didn't have to get a new sim. You could've just used an adapter. :rolleyes:

17. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

Actually analyst have said that the luck luster (they sold a lot but not as many as people thought) verizon iPhone 4 sales were due to people waiting out for the next iPhone.

18. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

I haven't gotten the SIM yet, so I could do that but really wanted to avoid using the same SIM to decrease the risk of loosing my unlimited plan.

Did find another hidden cost I hadn't considered...PayPal charge of 2.9% to withdraw my money...little more than $10 plus the time and annoyance of going to the ATT store, $30 for a month of data I can't use, risking my unlimited plan, having to be without my phone...starting to think this was a dumb idea.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Completely forgot about the 2.9% fee. It'll probably still be worth it though. I think I'm getting a fairly decent deal on it either way.

20. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

Called in again to ATT, rep confirmed I can use my RZR and should not loose my unlimited data plan. She recommended that I use the same SIM that's in my iPhone on the temporary RZR but with an adapter. She said to be sure they DO NOT change my hardware profile in their system. According to the rep, as long as that stays the same I won't loose my unlimited data plan.

I asked if anything could be done about the $30 monthly for data I won't be able to use while on the RZR, they credited my account $30. Tried to convince them to bump my upgrade they did go thirty days sooner (to Oct 30) as they told me they'd do yesterday but refused to budge any further.

Oh well, at least I got $30 back. Feeling much better about selling to ebay!

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

I would bypass AT&T completely. Don't even tell them what you're doing and/or consult them, just stick your iPhone 4 SIM into your RAZR with the adapter.

I've routinely done this with my old Sony Ericsson T616 as my "in between" phone between iPhones. I can tell you without a doubt AT&T has not touched my unlimited data plan. In fact, AT&T HAS changed my phone profile in my online account to the T616 and my data plan remains unchanged.

You don't really have any control over the hardware showing up in your online account anyway, so the rep telling you to "make sure" they don't change it is kind of pointless. It's always been my experience that the hardware showing in your online account is pretty much instantly updated to any phone you stick your SIM into. However, my data plan has never been touched.

22. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

23. tivoboy macrumors 68030

good

I've used ebay instant before, and didn't get any run around just a big check for an ipad 1 and an iphone 4

24. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

The rep I talked to today did indeed think it would sell out.

Good idea on bypassing ATT entirely, I just ordered a SIM adapter from amazon for a buck. Hopefully I can just pop in my SIM in the RZR and be good to go until I can order a 4s.

I also made the rep read back her notes to me to be sure I had it documented that they were assuring me I wouldn't loose my unlimited, funny thing is I rarely download more than a gig a month...oh well it's the principal of the thing!

25. j4bles macrumors member

I can't answer if you'll lose your data plan, but I had to use my micro SIM in a phone that required a full sized SIM. I ended up creating my own adapter with one of those fake credit cards I got in the mail. Worked just fine for me.

Here's the site I got the idea from: http://hijinksinc.com/2010/05/14/using-a-micro-sim-in-an-iphone-3g/

Working fine for me in my HTC phone.