did I make a good investment need a little reassurance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I bought the 2010 i7 macbook pro with the 15in anti glare screen & snowleopard, it does not have thunderbolt & has the nividia card.

I bought it in june 2010, but now I see the new ones, will the new ones be alot better?

or should I hang on & see reviews that come out in the coming months? (the rule about new tech to work out bugs etc) because it will be almost a year, & I will be getting a little more school money this semester & if I hang on to what I have now, I will get apple care before the year window june 2011 comes up.

I need my laptop to last me awhile & be adequate for working with large photos, work with photoshop, & video, will my 2010 last me awhile in terms of power & graphics?

I suppose I can upgrade the RAM, it seems it has the expandability, right now it has the stock 4gb of ram. But I am uneasy about taking my laptop apart, I am still fairly new to macs, & have never had a laptop before.

just need a little reassurance that I made the right move.

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

You have a good mac there, unless your a heavy photo editor, movie editor or other power hungry user I doubt that you would notice that much difference. Apple are always updating there stuff, so whenever you choose to buy, a few months later it will be out of date. Its just how they roll

3. mfram macrumors 65816

First of all, computers are like cars. They are never "investments". They go down in value the instant you buy them. There's always a newer/faster/shinier one right around the corner.

That said, do you buy a new car every year? No, probably not. The computer you have will run just fine until you decide you want something faster. My MBP is 4 years old. Still runs great. Yes, I'm considering the new ones, but it's not like the old one is slow.

You can't play the "wait because the next one will be better" game forever because you'll never buy one that way. Wait until you need one, and buy it.

4. sbb155 macrumors 6502

not a good investment --- huge speed increase with sandy bridge compared to prior upgrades ---- sorry