Did I make a mistake buying my Macbook so close to the keynote?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bubbagumpshrimp, May 23, 2009.

1. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I just picked up the macbook 2.0 at Best Buy yesterday before realizing that keynote is just a few weeks away. While I know that its focus will be on the iphone, I worry a little that they will do a boost on the processor or something like that... isnt snow leopard coming soon? The Best Buy boys told me not to worry about it cause of its focus on the iphone but....they are best buy employees.

I'm hopping that some of you apple experts can educate me on the matter.

Im the guy who bought the Alu iMac 30 days before leopards release. :(

Update: Discovered today that I have a Dead pixel on my screen. Best Buy says they will replace it or refund it (if i wanted to wait until the June 8th keynote). In other words, I now have the option to wait without paying a 15% restocking fee.
    I was planning on just keeping the Macbook not worrying about what June 8th had to offer until this happened.
    WHAT WOULD YOU DO ??? :)

* Maybe a touch screen macbook is on its way ;)

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

First off, never listen to those guys because they're going to get your money wither way and the sooner the better. Second, if something turns up about the MacBook, it'll be a slight processor upgrade which would be almost negligible to the user. Perhaps new minor designs, such as with the battery door. The 9400M has been adopted by the desktops, nearly ensuring its place in the newer models and the 2GB is the standard on the low end iMac and higher end Mac Mini, nearly ensuring it's place. You have little to worry about besides buyer's remorse.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Considering you only bought 2.0 I'd say a processor bump wouldn't concern you that much, no? What else could they possibly do?

It's not the worst thing, I bought my BlackBook the last week in Sept before they announced the current Unibodies and I don't feel bad at all. Enjoy

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You only made a mistake if you regret the purchase. The timing of your purchase relative to the keynote shouldn't be a big deal. Relax :D:D

5. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I hope not -- I'm a few weeks in myself. And LOVING it I might add.

6. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

New GPU, body design improvements, price cuts and tons more.

Hey! Nobody knows right? :apple::D:apple:

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

This may be the one time that the Best Buy boys are correct. Don't worry about WWDC, Snow Leopard and iPhone 3.0 will take up most of the show. WWDC has never been used to showcase new notebooks. This is strictly a developer conference and developers are only targeted as they will need to know the details of SL and iPhone 3.0. Historically Apple has updated their Cinema Displays and maybe the their desktop tower lines at WWDC but not notebooks.

8. Aboo macrumors 6502a

If you are really worried/know you will feel buyer's remorse, you can always take it back. Doesn't Best Buy give you 2 weeks/30 days to return the system?

9. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

The new macbooks will look the same wont they? Can't think why apple would go to all the trouble of changing the looks.

can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

James

10. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Sure you would never listen to BB employees, but you would listen to the Keynote guys...Like they don't want your money the sooner either...

Seriously though, I don't think you should regret your purchase.

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

There's a rather extreme difference. I didn't mean to offend anyone who works at Best Buy.

12. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Agree with this statement.Don't worry enjoy your laptop

13. bubbagumpshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Discovered today that I have a Dead pixel on my screen. Best Buy says they will replace it or refund it (if i wanted to wait until the June 8th keynote). In other words, I now have the option to wait without paying a 15% restocking fee.
    I was planning on just keeping the Macbook not worrying about what June 8th had to offer until this happened.
    WHAT WOULD YOU DO ???

* Maybe a touch screen macbook is on its way ;)

14. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

the next macbook you get might have three dead pixels...WHAT WOULD YOU DO??? :eek:

the reports i've read though in all seriousness was that the touch screen tablet isn't suppose to hit untill 2010.

i'm only waiting to see if there is a price drop or any changes in general but, i'm not going to hold my breath because it seems to just be focused really on 3.0 and the iPhone/iPod touch.

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

scroll up and do what everyone says

16. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

lol... just enjoy your macbook :D - its a amazing machine... the speed bump wont be even noticeable

17. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Depends if you have a capable computer in the mean time and don't particularly need the MB right now, why not ? Mind you, it might be announced on June 8th and then ship later (especially at BestBuy, at least here in Canada, they took a while to get the unibody).

I personally waited a couple of month for the unibody upgrade. I was fairly sure it was coming. First year university, I didn't really need a laptop, my desktop osx86 was still capable to do all I needed. In perspective that was a wise move.

So, can you live 2 weeks without it to get a 75% chance of getting a minor upgrade ? Who knows what will be in store, 4gb ram standard? 2.4ghz standard? If 4gb becomes standard then there might be some further changes to the internals to accept 8. I wouldn't be surprised to see something worth it, most first gen apple laptop are usually quite a step down from the first updates :

Ibook G3 rev A, the update got you the old faster model for the price of the slower one (IE getting the 2.4ghz and paying the price of the 2.0 right now).

Rev B didn't get much

G4 rev A got the same thing as the G3

Macbook rev A, didn't get much, changes on the internals, possibility for more ram, airport can use wireless N (after unlock), new dvd drive.

I guess if you follow the pattern rev B won't get much hahaha

Mind you, I'm not sure there's much to offer right now from nVidia or from Intel, so all you can really expect are price/spec changes and they are starting to lag behind 'competition' with 2gb ram.

18. bubbagumpshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

Great insight, thank you. 2 weeks or so wont kill me so im thinking about stretching my 14 day return period out (returning it june 5th). Heck if i can get the ipod back to school special out of it ill be happy. Thank you dead pixel.

19. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

No I am sure you didn't. But I'm a little tired of people considering BB employees, or any other electronics store employee as they were some kind of illness you have to avoid. Sure there are some crooks, like anywhere else, but you just have to put on your thinking cap and use common sense.

/rant :D

Seriously though, props to the OP, you should definitely wait until June 8th now IMHO.

20. Yodgee macrumors member

Wheres the dead pixel on your screen? If its in a spot that will constantly annoy you then go take it back. If your computer fulfills your needs now then i dont think you should worry about the keynote update to the macbooks. As everyone is saying it will most likely be minor. The aluminium finish is the new standard and the trackpad is the best thing since sliced bread in my books so wont see any physical design changes.