Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmfs1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Hi newbie to the forum.
I own a iphone 3g and did the last 4.01 update. Like everyone else experienced wifi, delayed unlock features, dropped calls, even when I ended calls my phone never hung up. After talking to Apple support many times, I was told it was a hardware issue, then I was told it was a software issue, then I was told it was a sim card issue. They were willing to replace my 3G phone. I did a restore from back up/ restored as a new device. Talk to Telus to see if they will change my sim card, but never did. The restore as new device, then restore my contacts and apps etc. after that seem to help. But I noticed when I went to restore there was an update to 4.01? was there? or did I miss a step? Whatever all these steps seem to get my phone working pretty good. I will see in a couple of days if things go worse. I invest a lot dollars into Apple products and still defend them. I just hope Apple does not get careless like Microsoft. Iphone still rocks compared to all the wanna bees out there.
Hope Im in the right forum?
Tmfs

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
You didn't miss anything. Apple should have never released iOS4 with the iPhone 3G. Everyone has been complaining about how slow this update makes the phone. Had I read all the reviews first, I would have never updated my iPhone with it. Sure would have saved me a bunch of frustration.

tmfs1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
did miss an ipdate

You didn't miss anything. Apple should have never released iOS4 with the iPhone 3G. Everyone has been complaining about how slow this update makes the phone. Had I read all the reviews first, I would have never updated my iPhone with it. Sure would have saved me a bunch of frustration.

Yeh no kidding,
I wished there would of been a not recommended for 3g phones etc quote in the update. I would of stayed clear of it. Now what do you do with your Carrier who will not take responsibility and Apple who gives you the run around till they admit there is an error. I am convinced it is a software update problem and not a defective phone. But what do you do??

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
What I did to get things working better was to do a backup then a restore from the backup. It took many hours but seemed to work for me. A lot of the apps still need updates but they are slowly being released.

tmfs1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
What I did to get things working better was to do a backup then a restore from the backup. It took many hours but seemed to work for me. A lot of the apps still need updates but they are slowly being released.

Do you feel it's the apps? Is the phone better without them? Sure like my skype agreed much slower than usual

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Do you feel it's the apps?
The apps aren't making the iPhone slower for normal use. What I meant was that the apps themselves ran slow and needed to be optimized for iOS4. And a few of my apps didn't even work anymore with iOS4. Many developers have been slow to get their updates out for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.