Did I somehow screw up the transfer from PBG4 to new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joeliethegoalie, Mar 5, 2008.

1. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

When my new MBP arrived Monday, I immediately fired up Migration Assistant to transfer my data from my PBG4 to the new machine. It seemed to go pretty smoothly, taking about 80 minutes to transfer everything--or so I thought.

I was under the impression that the MBP HD would take on the identity of my PB HD, and everything would land in the proper place. But what actually happened is that my "old" stuff wound up in a folder with my "old" user name within the new HD's Users folder. So, the new HD's User folder contains: folder w/new user name (w/the house icon), a Shared folder and then a folder w/my "old" user name).

Within the "old" user folder, the folders for Desktop, Documents, Library, Music and Pictures all have a red "do not enter" type of mark on the icon, and nothing inside them.

Nothing from my Pictures folder transferred, nor did anything from the PB desktop folder. My Firefox profile folder didn't transfer so that means no bookmarks, passwords, etc. I did grab that particular folder off the old machine and installed on the MBP, thus reestablishing my bookmarks, but it didn't seem to remember my passwords. My music's on an external drive so that wasn't part of the transfer, but I suspect that wouldn't have come over either.

Questions:
    Is this problem due to my creating a new user name different from the PB's user name?
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Do I need to reinstall the entire OS and start fresh? It's just been a couple of days so that's not too much of a hassle.
    If I do reinstall, what do I need to do to ensure that everything transfer correctly next time?
    And if I do need to make a clean reinstall of the OS, what kinds of things should I be looking to delete (languages, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: despite the inconvenience of the less-than-clean transfer, this machine is freaking amazing!:)

2. joeliethegoalie thread starter macrumors member

Um...nevermind.

Turns out restarting the computer fixes everything. Duh.:eek:

Now this thing REALLY rocks!:)