Did Jobs choose a fatally flawed design because it looked good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphoneZ, Jun 26, 2010.

1. iphoneZ macrumors regular

2. kangaralph macrumors member

i dont think the design is flawed at all personally. you just need to be careful these aren't kid toys like some ppl point them out to be

3. detroit1 macrumors regular

i just think they ran out of room inside the phone. the bigger battery took up more space and rather than change the size of the phone, they just added an external antenna.

4. iphoneZ thread starter macrumors regular

actually a phone that you can't make a call with or browse the internet is a kids toy

5. McBeats macrumors 6502a

the design is great, and works great...as long as your not holding it wrong.

6. firewood macrumors 604

It's a bonus feature. You can make calls, and in weak signal areas, you can hang up by holding the phone a certain way.

7. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

The design has actually improved my service in several areas so I can't complain. I've gone to numerous places where my calls have dropped and I'm sitting at 5 bars on average.

8. _Matt macrumors 6502

They had to satisfy the consumers' constant demands. We all wanted a smaller next-generation iPhone with better features. They could have come out with a 3GS sized phone/case and said look what we added but the press and the public would not pick up on it.

Personally, I think they thought the antenna around the case was a good idea but they definitely were aware of possible issues with the science of it. Thus, the bumpers were made and very strongly sold during the keynote. So yes, we have a more advanced phone that's the smallest size on the market for its specifications, but many people just want the thing to work perfectly out of the box.

I think most of us have to understand that advancements in technology come with benefits and costs. It takes time to perfect a redesign. Yet, in the end, Apple seems to improve our lives and experience with the products over time. Just look at the unibody enclosures. They spent millions in R&D for those and we now take it for granted in all newly released Apple products.

I've had good and bad experiences with Apple products over the years. I think they can handle the issues and try to remedy individual cases as much as possible. Like it or not, they still have one of the highest rated tech support teams in the world.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

They might have kept the same size as 3GS but for some reason they decided to go slimmer. I guess they miscalculated. Now every iPhone will have to have a case. Still, the phones in the store will stay naked and beautiful ;)

10. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

People keep saying this but were the bumpers really strongly pushed in the keynote? I thought they just mentioned them.

11. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yep, Steve only talked about them for about 20 seconds

12. thrust macrumors member

people in this day and age are to spoilt!

the device is amazing FACT!

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Sharp edges on the iPhone 4 ... just like the current MacBook Pro's ... no need for it.

Design flaw (sharp edges) appearing in more of their products instead of less, MacBook Pro's, Magic Mouse, iPhone 4 - ridiculous.

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Many people didn't even like this design when it came out.

15. tuatha macrumors regular

Isn't that his job description?

16. _Matt macrumors 6502

Well no Apple case has ever been made/promoted like a bumper since the iPod Socks.

There is a reason the bumper exists. Otherwise Apple would not have gone into the saturated case business.

17. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

The first thing online that actually made me laugh out loud in a long time :D

18. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Why does everyone always say steve jobs chose this, jobs chose that? Steve jobs is not the only one who makes decisions, I bet steve didn't even dewing the phone. He probably overlooks the design process, gives ideas here and there, but it's not all about him. Sure he has to agree with the final design but don't blame everything on him. There are hundreds of other big guns in apple you can blame.

19. citrate macrumors 6502

Seriously how the **** can you hold a phone 'wrong'?? Do people actually think about where they're saying?

20. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I agree...I especially hate people saying 'Only Stevie knows...'

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think the design is "fatally flawed," I do think everyone is blowing this out of proportion without any scientific evidence (does anyone realize that there have been no controlled tests on this?). I think the right choices were made with this phone. It's slick as hell and fast with great download/upload speeds and I have yet to have any call quality issues.

22. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I agree completely. Can we hold offbon these types of threads until Monday when a patch will hopefully be released.

23. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 works better, as a phone, than my 3GS did. But to be fair, my wife's iP4 has exhibited some issues with yellow spots (that have mostly gone away now) and the antenna issue. So I'm not saying the problems don't exist, like some people. But, fatally flawed? I disagree.

24. citrate macrumors 6502

Words fail me. I don't need scientific evidence. I need a phone that makes phone calls without me picking it up with my finger tips.