Did Kamala Harris block evidence that would have freed death row inmates?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 1, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politic...-RV4mEsJuIIqgilDL_knsPJ6Jr28JfpSBoJj8LuoC2bKQ
    sure hope she is done

2. benshive macrumors regular

Reminds me of:
    "Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."
    -Antonin Scalia

Disgusting

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

They're all clowns including Gabbard and Sanders. Who runs the DNC these days? A child?

4. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I look at all prosecutors this way. Their job is to incarcerate people, not find people innocent or set people free. This is why I advise people not to talk to law enforcement unless you’re required. They are not your friends. Their jobs are to investigate and incarcerate not to find you innocent.

5. pshufd macrumors 65816

The job of prosecutors is to bring about justice.

Now, in this case, with the weight of the state behind him, the Durham district attorney pushed forward unchecked. There were many points in this case where caution would have served justice better than bravado, and in the rush to condemn a community and a state, lost the ability to see clearly.

Regardless of the reasons that this case was pushed forward, the result was wrong. Today we need to learn from this and keep it from happening again to anybody.

Now, we have good district attorneys in North Carolina who are both tough and fair, and we need these forceful, independent prosecutors to put criminals away and protect the public, but we also need checks and balances to protect the innocent.

This case shows the enormous consequences of over-reaching by a prosecutor. What has been learned here is that the internal checks on a criminal charge -- sworn statements, reasonable grounds, proper suspect photo lineups, accurate and fair discovery -- all are critically important.

North Carolina Attorney General Ray Cooper declaring the defendants factually innocent in the Duke Lacrosse case.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/11/cooper.transcript/index.html

Lots of stories of prosecutorial misconduct at the Innocence Project website.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

-

Given the power of the prosecution, their ability to cause heartache, financial distress, undue burden, by the mere mention of subpoena; the only way to hold that power in check, to incentivize just and legal proceedings is a mandatory death sentence should the prosecutor be found guilty of prosecutorial misconduct.

No, I'm not kidding.

-

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

see post 5. he got ahead of me :p

8. pshufd macrumors 65816

Prosecutors usually get immunity, even for misconduct. The reason given is that nobody would take the job if they had liability for false or improper prosecution.

False accusations are another area where penalties are either minimal or not enforced. Someone can accuse you of something and you get charged, perhaps arrested and perhaps put in jail. You can lose your job, have to pay thousands in legal fees and, of course, bear loss of reputation.

I've seen many cases where there is vindictiveness on prosecutors. They lose or get slapped over misconduct and try to find something else to charge you with. In some cases, prosecutors may know that you're innocent but try to bankrupt you with charges - you still have to defend them and it's very expensive. In some cases, defendants agree to a plea deal because they can't afford to continue to fight legally.