Did Obama's comments increase racial tensions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgguy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

An Associate Press article (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g4TAbX5fIxkXoj9R_-Uldl6a8jygD99L4PG80 is claiming that Obama has help stock racial tensions for his remarks regarding the arrest of a black professor by a white police officer in Cambridge, MA. Obama has since offered something of an apology for his rush to judgement of the officer's actions. Should Obama stay out of parochial police enforcement cases like this in the future, especially when he doesn't have the facts? Is it fair to say that his comments in this case serve to increase racial tensions as the AP article suggests?

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

Even I know the joke about the black guy who gets stopped in his car and his first thought is "what did someone who looks like me just do?".

Profiling is alive and well and is part of the technique of every police force around the world. The FBI even has professional profilers. Any talk of this:

is just publicity nonsense horse crap. Avoiding profiling (racial, gender, cultural, socio-economic or any other) means avoiding police work and not doing their job. Because that's how they work. And often tragically in great error. It's how the 9/11 hijackers avoided detection, by masking their profile - dressing well and flying first class. It applies right down to a car thief wearing a suit and tie stealing a car in a crowded car park with alarm blaring and nobody paying the slightest heed.

The day a gay black serial killer can receive police assistance to return his drugged and naked fleeing victim to him like they did with Jeffrey Dahmer, then there will no longer be any profiling. But first the cops would have to be rewarded and promoted to make the situation the same [from wiki]:

If I were that professor, I would have been even angrier, because I have the privilege of being able to be even angrier because I'm European not African. He showed remarkable restraint for a lifetime of constant profiling which snapped with a final straw at his own home where after years of achievement he believed he had at least a right to be his own man, instead of a just profile.

3. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

The officer didn't profile professor Gates. He was responding to a call from one of Gates' neighbors requesting an investigation of a suspected burglary taking place by Gates. Gates had no reason to get angry at the officer, who was just doing his job. As I understand it, it was Gates that started getting hostile and making allegations about being treated in a racist manner, which is a stereotype of white police officers. A black officer who witnessed the events confirmed the white officer's statement of the content and sequence of the exchanges between the white officer and Gates. Obama basically repeated the same stereotype of the officer by judging the officer's actions to be "stupid" without knowing the facts. To his credit Obama later corrected himself and apologied to the officer and the Cambridge police force for his rush to judgement. However, Obama still has to be held accountable for meddling in a trivial local police matter in the first place. If nothing else, he has diverted attention away from his health care reform initiative (though if I were a cynic I might say that he did it purposefully because his press conference was not received well by many). This clearly was a bad move by Obama that has made him look bad and may drive his approval rating down even further in the polls.

4. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I don't think Obama's answer was the best. However I think that he showed he got some balls and that's pretty good.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- and he had the balls to admit he made a mistake. We haven't had that for 8 years, and it's damn refreshing to hear.

6. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

He did admit he made a mistake, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he made the mistake and it was not good. The important question is why he made the mistake in the first place. Why his rush to judgement in such a local matter as this? Are we beginning to see signs of his racial preferences and favoritism, or was he just sticking up for a friend? Either way, it wasn't good from the standpoint of the police officer who received Obama's criticism.

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

8. Shivetya macrumors 65816

oh bull puckey.

He only apologized when he got backed into a corner. He blew it BIG TIME.

What change? Hell Obama has kept Bush's worst policies and then decided that Bush's overspending wasn't sufficient and mortgaged the house for a shiny car.

He needs to realize the campaign time is over and its time to be at work. I wonder if that comment of his was on the teleprompter or off the cuff? If the first then there are some serious idiots in the White House, if the second, well that limits the choices.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm no, it didn't. The arresting of the professor did, because that was the professor's intent. Sadly, Obama is going to be exempt from creating racial tensions solely because of his race for most of America. The far right will clearly take any chance they have, but, the majority will solely excuse because of his race.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wait a sec, the professor intended to get arrested? Seriously?

One of these days you'll post in a serious non-hysterical manner that warrants a reply. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long time for that.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well, sorta. The professor clearly knew at some point that he was going to cause a large problem, possibly to shed light on the situation. Even if he was not arrested, I'm sure he would have spoke about it afterwards.

13. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Same kind of story with a different ending

I apologize for the long post. Skip over it if you want to.

I had a similar run in with the police, but the President didn't talk about me on national TV.

The night before I got married, my neighbor called the police because they thought someone was stealing a car at my house.

A little background: My wife-to-be was house-sitting over the winter for people who were in Florida. The 7200 sq. ft. house was in an exclusive neighborhood with 5+ acre wooded lots. While driving to the city where the wedding was taking place, my practically new car broke down 300 miles away. Part of the roadside service was that I could rent a car to continue my trip, and mine was to be delivered to me at my destination.

Although the towing company had promised to be there by early evening, it was after midnight. We had 11 wedding guests and a dog in the sleeping in the house, and I was pacing and calling the road service to get updates on the driver’s location. When they finally arrived at 1:00AM, they offloaded the car with lots of rattling of chains while the diesel truck idled.

The neighbor heard it and thought they were STEALING the car, not dropping it off, and called the police.

I didn’t know that the police were waiting until the tow truck left, and they swooped into the driveway. Another police unit had stopped the tow truck away from the scene. I stood there in my old sweats, obviously not a resident of this exclusive community.

The police demanded to see my ID, which was in the house. As far as they were concerned, I was a suspect and was treated as such. Of course the car was still in the driveway, but the police thought it was an aborted theft. I had to show my ID, which had a different address than the house where I was, and the car registration.

Up until this point, my run-in with the police was the same as Mr. Harvard Professor. My story has a much different ending.

Although I was tired and grumpy, I stayed polite. If I had given the police a bunch of sh_t, I might have been treated differently, but I remained courteous and cooperative. After checking IDs and registration, and confirming my story with the tow truck driver’s story, everyone went on their way.

It became the-story-about-the-night-before-I got-married, not a racial incident. The police were just responding to a concerned neighbor’s call. It wasn’t because I “didn’t belong” in the neighborhood.

I went to see the neighbor the next day, and we had a good laugh, although I think she was embarrassed. She sent us a nice wedding gift $$$$, too.

People, get over yourselves. It’s not always about profiling. The police were just doing their job.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I personally believe Obama told it like it is and I salute him for it. He should have never backed down to political pressure.

It was a refreshing change to see a President tell it like it really is.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree, it's unfortunate that he backed down from something he believed in. To say that racial profiling doesn't go on is a joke, it's legal. There is another thread about this where it's been discussed. I do however think that the professor, in trying to bring attention to this issue, made it a larger issue.

16. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

What do you mean "like it is?" It wasn't like you seem to be suggesting. The officer wasn't profiling and it was the professor who became belligerent for no reason other than his own prejudices. If anything, Obama should condemn the professor's slandering the white officer by calling him racist and saying the officer was using racial profiling when all he was doing was responding to a call from the professor's neighbor. The problem is that Obama did not "tell it like it really is," but rather rushed to racially-based judgement and told it like it really wasn't. Hence, the public backlash and his moving quick to try and smooth over his mistake.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You know about as much as I do about the incident.

enuf said.

18. mgguy thread starter macrumors 6502

mgguy

No, I think I know a lot more about the incident than you do, as you apparently haven't read the statements from the involved parties. Even the professor is not denying that the officer was right in investigating the situation, and has not denied getting angry, raising his voice, denigrating the officer's mother, and generally acting in a hostile manner.

You apparently don't think Obama is sincere in admitting he prejudged the officer without knowing all the facts. Are you saying that Obama is now lying about it for political reasons? My guess is that the reason he has backed off is that he realizes the professor may not look so good if the tapes of his loud-mouthing are released to the media, which they almost certainly will be.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Peace, the big problem here is that Obama told it like it wasn't.

There was no profiling. Period. Exclamation point. None.

The cops did not "act stupidly". They performed as trained and within the law. They were sent to the scene of a reported crime. As they arrived they had no way of knowing that there was not a burglar present--and burglars are not always unarmed. Until a person has identified himself as the legal resident of the premises, he is a criminal suspect. As such it behooves him to remain courteous and polite and not create a problem with people who are already concerned about possible danger.

If the prof hadn't gotten mouthy and loud enough to bring neighbors out of doors, he would not have been arrested for creating a disturbance.

Obama ran his mouth without knowing what happened and wrongly brought profiling into the deal when he should have kept his silly mouth shut.

And how does Obama know the cop likes beer? Stereotyping, maybe?

'Rat

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

silly you! all cops like beer! :rolleyes: seriously though, did Obama actually say all cops like beer or that this guy must like beer since he's a cop? or did you just make that part up so you could accuse him of stereotyping?

edit; on the other hand.......if he asked the cop to stop by to discuss the situation over donuts then maybe you would have had a real point.......... :p

21. ski2moro macrumors 6502

If I recall correctly, Obama used that expression "having a beer together" several times when he wants to convey the idea of 2 regular guys sitting down having a regular conversation without political ideology getting in the way.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This was it indeed. However if you're a partisan hack you'll do anything to try and paint it in a negative light.

23. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

oh you mean like how that Harvard prof just had to pull the race card and turn a routine check into some media circus? like that? yes?

24. emt1 macrumors 65816

Obama never should have opened his mouth regarding this incident. Completely inappropriate.

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, there'd be a stereotyping problem if they were going to discuss it over some fried chicken and donuts :D