Did Pelosi Know? Does it matter?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, May 15, 2009.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think she knew, but if she did, it doesn't matter. This was long before the Democrats had a majority in congress and before she was speaker, there really was not a whole lot she could do if she did know.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. It doesn't matter.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Typical politicians. Back in 2002 if she was seen as obstructive to the process of extracting info from terrorists her career would have went up in flames, now she has a mandate to attack the last administration, but has a chain latched to her leg.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I believe it does matter. If she has such as strong moral objection to it now, where was this objection back then? In cases like that, the press is a politician's best friend. She could have gone directly to the press, or leaked info about it. Once the media frenzy got started, it could have ended the whole thing.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Right after 9/11 I am not so sure that waterboarding would have been met with quite the public outcry. Nonetheless if someone knew about it and didn't say anything in objection its a little too late to ride in on a white horse 7 years later.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That's my point. All this moral outrage about it didn't come out until it was convenient. Those who knew about it and didn't do anything to stop it are just as guilty as those committing the acts. But, we shouldn't be surprised at yet another hypocritical politician.

9. fivepoint thread starter macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Gingrich rips into Pelosi: 'Big loser'

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This also smells of the GOP trying to stop any investigation into what happened. Just threaten her with an investigation of their own, and maybe she'll drop it. It doesn;t matter if she knew or not, an investigation should move forward. If hse gets burned as well, so be it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/sns-ap-us-pelosi-torture,0,6950752.story

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The dems wanted to start this up and release memos etc other information, the GOP simply pointed out that they might be pulling the rug out from under their own feet. :rolleyes: At this point I would rather see everything released, its too late to go back now.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Dems are right, release the memos. If some of them get burned, fine. It's the right thing to do. And Newt Gingrich threatening Pelosi pretty much tells me somebody has something to hide.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Release ALL of the memos, not just the convenient ones now that you've opened the box, also any notes/minutes that were taken during the debriefings.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo, Bush /Cheney and the CIA wanted to make up the facts to prove we needed to attack Iraq. They were forcing people to confess to anything and everything via Torture. Pelosi was played as was our whole country on this one.

Saddam didnt do 911, Saudi's did it along with CIA trained Bin Laden.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I never said any different. Why are you arguing with me when I agree with you?

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Here is the unedited press conference. Youtube link.

Pelosi starts gettin jiggy with it about 4:08. And you thought Prejean was bad.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think anyone has any doubt she knew. I just think it's irrelevant. Release the memos. Let's see what happens. What's Cheney afraid of?

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think Pelosi was fed spin phrases,half truths etc and this was at the time all 3 branches were republican control. She had little authority if any. She was most likely told they were using enhanced interrogation techniques which really could mean anything you want it to. I doubt the CIA was going to tell her the exact torture they were using nor how many times they used it. The question should be who authorized illegal torture?

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wasn't Pelosi ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, so wouldn't she have access to everything?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. This is a smokescreen for the Reps to hide behind. They're basically saying, "If we go down, we're taking you with us" and I say go ahead and try. If a few Dems go down too, so what?

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sorry I misread :D, I am not a fan of the previous administration and I don't have any repubs in this debacle that I am particularly attached to, so I don't really mind who gets mud in their face as long as its fair game all around.

She knew. Shes changed her story 3 times now, there would be no reason to do that if she didn't have something to cover. These people's jobs are to get elected, I don't trust 90% of them.

22. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

It's a pretty stupid thing to worry about.

Politicians lie, cheat, cover things up, ect. It's just a fact of life, and has been throughout modern history.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why do you think most politicians are lawyers.:p They know how to play with facts to suit their needs.

24. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

The CIA are evil. They are terrorists. Every high-status politician knows the "secrets" of the government.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It has been so since politics began, probably at least five thousand years ago. That still is no reason to give politicians a free pass when they are discovered in flagrante.