Did Sarah Palin's city bill rape victims for processing rape kits?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ntombi, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I heard this on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, and I went online to find out if it was true. This is the article I found from the time, with a lot of talk (on the tv and online) about how the bill was passed specifically because of Wasilla's practice of billing the victims (and their insurance, if applicable), but I can't find any hard news confirming that claim.

Anyone else find anything more than I could?

In an interesting juxtaposition, Alaska has the highest incidence of rape and incest in the country and has for decades. :(

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Alaska can be a scary place, especially if you live outside Anchorage, Fairbanks or Juneau.

I often wonder why so many people are deathly afraid of big urban cores when some of the most heinous crimes are committed in the least populous places. Columbine is a prime example of the devastations of suburban isolation.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Palin at the very least supported the plan. Her entire persona is built around screw the little guys as long as the big boys can profit from it.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So she forces rape victims to pay for their own rape kits because she's a fiscal conservative and doesn't want to burden the taxpayers, but she charges those same taxpayers a per diem to stay in her own house and eat her own food?

It appears Palin is indeed a fiscal conservative -- in the mold of the fiscal conservatives inhabiting the White House right now.

4. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

This is a non-story but you never know it make give McCain the chance to make another rape joke. How anyone can consider voting for him is beyond me.

5. jplan2008 macrumors regular

6. Ntombi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Looks like I was looking too soon. Thanks.

Not hard evidence like copies of bills, but I haven't heard any retort (other than "it wasn't against the law") either. Lovely.