Did Scalia Insult "The Blacks"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/scalia-argues-black-students-benefit-from-slower-210637220.html

Did Supreme Court Justice Scalia insult The Blacks* by saying “There are those who contend that it does not benefit African-Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well — as opposed to having them go to a less advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well"?

Discuss. ;)

*Just using the terminology of our soon to be president

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I expect this thread to be filled with accusations of people playing the race card before it hits the second page.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Scalia should retire before the impact of his declining faculties become more of a hassle for the Court in its future work.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I thought someone mistakenly edited in some remarks from the 19th Century Supreme Court.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/u...t-case-that-may-alter-affirmative-action.html

Sounds just like the majority opinion in Plessy v. Ferguson to me:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/163/537

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I bet he's got benefactors from Texas Tech and A&M.:eek: He just wants the Longhorns' football and basketball program to suck.:p

6. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

...has probably helped you out in the day.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Scalia is guilty of using weasel words with his "There are those who contend..." phrase. (Its a popular construction on Fox and other cable news outlets. If people are actually saying something, tell us who it is.)

The issue of affirmative action at Americas colleges and universities is a controversial one. I think African-Americans are probably more interested in getting a fair shot at a decent education and a good job than they are in a somewhat artless rhetorical phrase used by an Associate Justice.

In general, I'm not a fan of playing "gotcha" with public figures, regardless of their politics. I'll choose to form my opinion of Justice Scalia from his decisions in Supreme Court cases, rather than any passing verbal miscues he might make.

9. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Some experts agree with your statement.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like Scalia just found a fancier way of saying, "Some say ... "

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Scalia statement made my liberal friends apoplectic: "Neil DeGrasse Tyson! Harvard and Columbia Ph.D!"

I pointed out that Dr. Tyson attended the prestigious and highly competitive Bronx High School of Science. Had he attended an ordinary inner-city public school, he would likely not have been prepared for Harvard or Columbia, thus illustrating Scalia's point.

That said, Scalia is good evidence that SCOTUS needs term limits or age limits.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

He would've been behind the curve, certainly.

Though it makes me think, if he's advocating remedial classes for kids who went to terrible high schools, the problem isn't with the kids, but the schools. Why take that extra effort to compensate for something that's failing, when you can address the problem directly?

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The funny thing is that Scalia has his job because Reagan wanted to appoint the first Italian-American to the court.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

OMG. How PC.

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Scalia's emphasis should have been focused on all the government that reduces learning in schools and then enforces lowered standards in order to create the end result he referred to in that unfortunate manner.

I can see it being a problem if 1.) the student got socially promoted at a city school run by unions, and 2.) especially in cases in which the school has forsaken the 3 Rs for social engineering; then 3.) finding that the student got admitted to college via affirmative action’s lowered standards, in which case 4.) the student would wallow compared to those from other schools that actually teach and whose students possess the grades to get into college with no assistance from a governing body.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

at the end of the day they won't make it in the workplace if they don't have the skills needed. that's why I LOL at it all.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Scalia is a ****ing clueless bafoon.

That said, hopefully the court rules that affirmative action is illegal. What a bull **** program. Passing over qualified candidates just because of their skin color to bring in less qualified people is discrimination too.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That depends on the particular institution and how they specifically apply a very general principal. The Court isn't likely to strike down Affirmative Action. If anything, it will strike down Texas' interpretation and application of it.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Parents, meanwhile, are not even brought into consideration for blame.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What would you consider just punishment for raising a bad (or under-performing) kid?

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

of course not. acknowledging they have a role in parenting their kids would remove all possibilities of being able to point fingers and blame others. we can't allow that.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

No gov't assistance. Higher taxes. No Affirmative Action BS for said low performing kid.