Did someone got a "device only" on 5th AVE lately?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShayAm, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ShayAm macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Did someone purchased iPhone 4S, At&t, "device only" on the 5th AVE Apple store lately.
    I am visiting NY, and have a reserved device for tomorrow.

I am looking for unlocked iPhone 4S. What do you say?

Thanks
    Shay

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They don't have unlocked models available yet. If you were planning on buying a AT&T model for full price, I don't think you'll be able to do that unless you have an AT&T account.

3. madKIR macrumors 6502

Not true.
    They sell 'a device only' and don't even ask you about your AT&T info

4. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I go there and ask for a device only or it will be a waste of time ?
    (yes, I am looking for the unlocked iPhone 4s for a full price to be able to use it with other GSM carriers)

5. madKIR macrumors 6502

Just go there. I bought an unlocked iPhone 4S this way, not there but at the other NYC store in Soho.
    I suggest you reserve it first.

6. screce macrumors newbie

7. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

"native store"?
    sorry, but I am not sure I understand.

Anyway, I will try my luck today at the apple store on the 5th AVE and will keep you posted.

8. pbrasil macrumors newbie

Unlocked in itunes

I bought a device only phone 4S and took it home. plugged it in iTunes, unlocked message, after put in my GSM foreign chip from Brasil and THERE IT IS !! working.

My question is, can they lock my phone back in the future ?? even if I am outside the US out from AT&T coverage ?? Im out from the domestic AT&T how will they acess my phone ??

thanks

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I drove a friend two weeks ago to the 5 ave store and she purchased a Black 16GB unlocked 4S. They were out of 16GB white models at the time, but she wanted the black anyways. If you want a white model, you should probably call the store for availability first or you can do the process online(without actually ordering) for a store pickup just to see the availability for that specific store.

10. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

I reserved a 32GB AT&T Black for today to be picked at the 5th AVE.
    I want to get it "device only" unlocked.

BTW, when you purchase a "device only" model, do they ask you to signed on AT&T doc? do I need an AT&T account. I do have a pre paid 1 year AT&T sim card :)

I will report back.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are unsuccessful today I'd suggest a different NYC store since 5th Avenue is usually mobbed with tourists. Soho, 14th Street, and Upper West Side are reasonably close. As long as you have reserved an "AT&T" model and when you get there, say you want to buy the device only (paying the full price of $749 for the 32GB model). It will be unlocked since Apple won't enter any information onto their database. That's how I got my iPhone.

You might need to sign something on screen saying you won't hack the phone, but otherwise, you won't need to give any AT&T account information.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

No, you can just buy it at full retail price.

13. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

14. bellaisa macrumors regular

how easy is it to reserve a phone at 9PM at night? is it almost guaranteed?

15. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are quick and the website doesn't act up, it usually goes through. I'd start checking at 8:55.

16. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

Reporting live. There is a device only on 5th. They say it's locked and will not work outside the US. They tell it to all the tourist on the line :)

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

they are lying to ya! Just buy it and activate it rite away from a corner of the store where you can get wifi and if it doesn't activate just return it rite on the spot. My bro just pick me one up yesterday and activate it with a tmobile sim card on the spot. No need for itunes and watnot.

18. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

good luck buddy! But I'm sure full retail ilhone 4s wilk be unlocked as long you just pay and walk out without giving any other info to them or att.

20. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

No worry :)

I'm going to purchse it :)

Most likely it's going to be unlocked. I'm sure apple aware to the fact that when someone is asking for a device only model he is looking for unlocked phone. Otherwise with the 30 days mony back they will have to handle lots of refunds. :)

I'll activate it with my orange sim card and will see how its goes.

21. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guys, it work !!!!

I purchased a 32GB AT&T "device only" model from the apple store at the 5th AVE (NYC). paid the full price and activate the phone with my Orange sim card.

Ive got a message saying that the model is now unlocked.

More than that, the iPhone OS recognize the SIM card country and choose the default settings for that country.

I also test it with my AT&T prepaid sim card and it works also.

I have no idea why Apple bother so much to hide this fact.

While waiting on the line, several people left the line (mostly tourists) because they've been told that the phone will not work out of the US.

next week I will be back at home and will tell you if the Orange sim card works also back at home :) (I assume it will).

Thank you guys for your help

Shay

22. JoganJani macrumors member

I had to accept the APple terms and also AT&T terms. Though no account information was given. I've yet to activate my iPhone. Last time I bought two I do not remember accepting AT&T terms.

23. ShayAm thread starter macrumors newbie

in my case I think it was just apple terms that you need to accept

24. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

lol I told you so! They are just making small lie, so that us customers can get them instead of the tourists.

25. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I have *finally* been able to reserve the 32GB Black 4S online for pickup at the 14th St store tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up as device only. If they ask for your AT&T info, do you just refuse it and say you'll activate at home?