Did Steve Jobs Just Kill Flash?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Of course not.

As long as windows users keep using Flash, Flash is alive and well.
( Windows users having the vast percentage of web presence )

Additionally, flash will still be used for video. microsoft, Apple, Mozilla et al cannot come up with a common video codec to use in their browsers with HTML5.

zelman

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Of course not.

Additionally, flash will still be used for video. microsoft, Apple, Mozilla et al cannot come up with a common video codec to use in their browsers with HTML5.
Exactly. In fact, I'm going to install flash on my windows PC now, just to make a point. I have the flash install files on this trusty 3.5" floppy disk. Now, let me just put it in the...disk...drive? Wait a second!? Why did computers stop shipping with floppy drives?!...freaking Steve Jobs and his iMac.

jk000

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
UK
Of course not.

Stella just got owned

Luis Ortega

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2007
More likely, he just killed the ipad's viability as a serious tool.

Also, this from the article:
there's still the iPhone to worry about—a huge, Flash-free customer base that surfs the Web all day.
Only a masochist would try to surf the web on an iphone for anything but emergencies.
It is the slowest and most miserable internet surfing experience going.

dbyl2

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
Ireland
Exactly. In fact, I'm going to install flash on my windows PC now, just to make a point. I have the flash install files on this trusty 3.5" floppy disk. Now, let me just put it in the...disk...drive? Wait a second!? Why did computers stop shipping with floppy drives?!...freaking Steve Jobs and his iMac.
They stopped using floppies due to their small size and extreme levels of unreliability in-terms of data loss.

They were always on their way out, the i-Mac could had made it a little bit quicker but was not the driving force.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

Only a masochist would try to surf the web on an iphone for anything but emergencies.

Try surfing the net with Windows Mobile or BlackBerry or S60 Symbian. Safari Mobile is a pleasure to use in comparison.

And H.264 is rapidly emerging as the dominant HTML5 video codec, just as Apple wanted.

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
speaking of which.. if any of you safari users havent "opted in" on the youtube html5 beta, do it now. http://www.youtube.com/html5 . I have been stunned at the difference when compared to the flash "experience". Better video quality, far more responsive (just try skipping to any portion of a loaded clip), and no browser or OS slow down. If this is what life is like without flash, I'm all for it.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
:rolleyes:

Which is exactly why mobile safari blew minds when it came out....

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
You've quite obviously never actually used it, then. For the majority of sites it's quite pleasant.

--Eric

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Die Flash Die

Unstable, unreliable, and a down right pain in the ..se!

I doubt Flash will go that quickly however the thought that Steve Jobs could potentially sound the death knell for Flash somewhat warms my heart.

This will not hinder the Apple Tablet (I really don't like name), I certainly couldn't care less whether Crash was available or not for the Mac Tablet!

Like the rest of the line accompanying Flash, they're heavy on CPU usage and RAM, even on a PC.

I would be happy for a more efficient product that delivers video content.

Should Flash die, it could not have been soon enough!

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
Flash was dead for years with its crappy performance, high CPU utilization and crash-prone nature! It IS true, Adobe is lazy.

Of course, so is Apple, they still haven't got their 64-bit act together... ;-)

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Microsoft wanted Flash, Adobe snatched it up in front of them...Microsoft now hates Flash. MS will be more than happy to cripple Flash installations in favor of pushing HTML 5 and now that Apple isn't supporting them 100% that's 100% of the people that control of 99% of desktop and laptop hardware rooting for the failure of Flash. Unless they can get Flash on Wii or the PS3 they may very well be up a creek without a paddle with Flash.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
speaking of which.. if any of you safari users havent "opted in" on the youtube html5 beta, do it now. http://www.youtube.com/html5 . I have been stunned at the difference when compared to the flash "experience". Better video quality, far more responsive (just try skipping to any portion of a loaded clip), and no browser or OS slow down. If this is what life is like without flash, I'm all for it.
Didn't work for me, I couldn't get any videos to load. I tried quitting the browser and starting again, but it still didn't work.

I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks for sharing and making me aware

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
This time next year, I'm hoping HTML5 will be more dominant than Flash.

I hate Flash.. just causes excess CPU usage, sluggish and crashes. If Adobe made it use little CPU usage, made it exceptionally responsive and it rarely crashed, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Flash is buggy and I'll be glad when/if the web is ever free from it's monopoly.

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I've hated flash since day 1. But I like simple, non-bloated web pages, silly me. Fluff like flash is just trying making up for what a site lacks IMHO. Not in all cases though....

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I think somebody is missing the point. Besides since when was flash used for anything 'serious'.
Youtube and every tv channel's internet video presence. Ooops!

This time next year, I'm hoping HTML5 will be more dominant than Flash.

I hate Flash.. just causes excess CPU usage, sluggish and crashes. If Adobe made it use little CPU usage, made it exceptionally responsive and it rarely crashed, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Flash is buggy and I'll be glad when/if the web is ever free from it's monopoly.
When you are free of those chains, make sure to thank the makers of H264 by paying the royalties they will collect on all that standard streaming video.

If anything is going to turn sites like youtube and hulu into pay sites, it will be H264. But of course you'll be happy to pay, right? As long as your CPU cycles don't go up too high? ;)

While you're at it, take a look at this awesome non-flash CSS animation here: http://anthonycalzadilla.com/css3-ATAT/index.html

Notice anything? I hope you're using Safari or chrome, because the other 80% of web users can't see it.

Gosh, if only there were some way to let over 95% of web browsers see that...

hmmmm....

;)

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009

Yes...

And it stands at whooping, so mega important, game changing - 0.64% of entire web usage!

I love my iPod Touch for its:

- portability
- design quality
- music player
- video player
- email
- occasional skype session
- few games and apps

...and no - I never use it for web surfing since its crap - even with Flash support I wouldn't use it...

By the way - that article is rubbish :cool:

Didn't work for me, I couldn't get any videos to load. I tried quitting the browser and starting again, but it still didn't work.

I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks for sharing and making me aware
Exactly...

My Safari crashes all the time.

Tried running that HTML5 based video about 10 times so far and every single time Safari either crashed or it froze with spinning beach ball!

Fact!

OSX 10.5.8 + latest Safari

So much about HTML5...

Waste of time.

When you are free of those chains, make sure to thank the makers of H264 by paying the royalties they will collect on all that standard streaming video.

If anything is going to turn sites like youtube and hulu into pay sites, it will be H264. But of course you'll be happy to pay, right? As long as your CPU cycles don't go up too high? ;)

While you're at it, take a look at this awesome non-flash CSS animation here: http://anthonycalzadilla.com/css3-ATAT/index.html

Notice anything? I hope you're using Safari or chrome, because the other 80% of web users can't see it.

Gosh, if only there were some way to let over 95% of web browsers see that...

hmmmm....

;)
And another thing to note: 40% of CPU usage on my C2D MBP...

WoW! What an improvement... not! :cool:

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I loved the article and that's why I submitted it.

Many persons here fail to recognize that Steve Jobs has actually a vision that he is sticking to. No matter if it's good or bad for CURRENT web standards. I give him props for being a visionary.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
I loved the article and that's why I submitted it.

Many persons here fail to recognize that Steve Jobs has actually a vision that he is sticking to. No matter if it's good or bad for CURRENT web standards. I give him props for being a visionary.
Sure...

However, I think Steve is a looser and should retire asap :)

Here is only couple of examples and therefore reasons why:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/mobile_demos_fp10.1/popup01.html

and

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/mobile_demos_fp10.1/popup11.html

Sorry but these links are MILES more visionary than Steve's vision of limiting my browser experience and net as a whole...

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
I don't really like Flash, but there seem to be some limitations. For example if I use the html5 version of Vimeo the video doesn't stream. I have to wait for it all to load before it plays.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't really like Flash, but there seem to be some limitations. For example if I use the html5 version of Vimeo the video doesn't stream. I have to wait for it all to load before it plays.
I think HTML5 players need work, too... first of all, full screen isn't optional, and second, honestly, on my not-very-powerful netbook, Youtube in Flash is actually faster and smoother than Youtube in HTML5. I turned Youtube HTML5 beta on a few days ago, watched about two or three videos, and promptly turned it back off.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
I think HTML5 players need work, too... first of all, full screen isn't optional, and second, honestly, on my not-very-powerful netbook, Youtube in Flash is actually faster and smoother than Youtube in HTML5. I turned Youtube HTML5 beta on a few days ago, watched about two or three videos, and promptly turned it back off.
At least you can run HTML5 video on your cheap netbook...

On my £1500 MacBook Pro I can NOT run it at all (Safari crash or freeze) - yes, that same Mac computer Steve built and yes that same Steve who said "death to Flash" and long live HTML5...

wow...

Isn't this frekn genius! :D