Did the damn repair guy kill my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheMarc, Jun 28, 2012.

1. TheMarc macrumors member

I just brought my iphone (my girlfriend's, actually) to have the back cover changed since it was cracked after having been dropped.
    The ear-speaker already wasn't working well (had some vibration and distortion) so I decided to have it changed at the same time. After the repairs, I tried to make a facetime call and noticed there was no image. I checked the back camera and it was working, but when I switched it to the front one, everything froze (with the closed shutter screen). Whenever I tried to open the camera afterwards it wouldn't work and only displayed that closed shutter screen. I brought the phone back to the shop and the repair guy did a restore and got the back camera working again, only to have it frozen again as soon as trying to turn on the front one.

The guy said he tried changing the front camera and it didn't work (but he said he took it from a "water-damaged" phone so he didn't know if the other camera was even working..). So, here are my two questions and concerns:

1-What could then be the problem (if not the front camera itself.. the logic board)?
    2-How could this have happened? Could the guy have broken the front camera by changing the ear-speaker (either by touching it/damaging it, or by putting in a cheap replacement part/bad piece of hardware -ear-speaker-, and later damaging the whole logic board)?

I'm so pissed right now....

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Why didn't you send the iPhone to Apple for repair? I would never trust anyone else but apple to fix my Macbook.

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

For the future, the back glass replacement only costs $29 at an Apple store, doesn't void your warranty, and they *might* have been nice and solved any other issues you were having at the time.

Whether the repair person you went to caused the problems or not, you'd be hard to prove either way and Apple won't even look at your phone now.

4. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

I've taken my phone apart many times and the front-facing camera is pretty sensitive and easily broken. But, you have to take the logic board out to get to it so it's quite possible he damaged that during the process. I would take it back to him and make him fix it. Here's what the camera housing looks like -> LINK

5. TheMarc thread starter macrumors member

cyks:
    I know, I would've have brought it to Apple for sure, but I'm in Colombia right now and won't be returning home for another two months.. I guess I should've waited... (or Apple should have some kind of support around the word).

BlueGummiBear:
    That's what I'll try to do. I guess I'm in for a fight...

But since I don't really trust the parts they put in, I was wondering if "bad" parts alone can actually damage the logic board permanently and affect how it works with other parts?