Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I have an iphone SE which I bought new from the apple store around august 2016. Currently its been updated to ios 11.0.2

3 weeks ago I took my phone to an independent iphone repair shop (with good online reviews) to have my charging port checked because it wasn't charging properly where the accessory is not recognized by the iphone device. i left my phone with him at his repair shop for 1 hour, came back to get it. the guy checked it, said there was nothing wrong with the port, and I just had to go online and buy a certified lightning cable because it was charging on his port. but the funny thing is that when I left it with him, he also asked for my passcode because he said he wants to make sure that if and once the port is replaced, he wants to make sure its working. (i've had my iphone 5 charging port replaced before, battery replaced also, and nobody asked for the passcode. they just replaced it, and that's it) so i was suspicious why he would ask that. it doesn't make sense. there was nothing on the phone, i backed it up before, and did a complete reset before bringing it in. i gave the passcode since there was nothing in my phone

Today I went out to look at houses with the battery fully charged this morning, i did a lot of video recording of houses, but it shouldn't be enough to cause the batter to go down to 20% after just a few hours. but we only looked at 4 houses today. listened to amazon music on with bluetooth connected to my car. used google maps gps. i'm really surprise that the battery has gone down so much in such a short amount of time.

i've never had this problem before, and i dont think, at least i'd like to think it has nothing to do with ios 11 update. i've always had excellent battery with the SE. what if the independent repair shop guy removed the original battery and replaced it with another battery? is that a possibility? i don't intend to open up my iphone SE to find out coz i dont have the tools right now with me to do it. i know it's happened before with my iphone 5, i had the charging port replaced when I was in Nepal traveling, but since i got it back, the battery life was never as good as before. of course there's no way to find out. but i just have a hunch. I'm not going to pursue this, it's not worth it in my opinion, but man, it's been bugging me.

IMG_0E36AFEFA59C-1.jpeg

IMG_0E761ED09786-1.jpeg

Last edited:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
have you confirmed your brightness settings?

i normally keep it to medium, maybe up to 75% when outdoors. it's a possibility that could be causing it.

right now, i have my iphone SE plugged in. and when i hold it, it feels a little warm. i dont think it should be doing that. my ipad mini 4 doesn't get warm when plugged in, and i'm browsing and watching amazon prime videos while at it.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
(i've had my iphone 5 charging port replaced before, battery replaced also, and nobody asked for the passcode. they just replaced it, and that's it) so i was suspicious why he would ask that. it doesn't make sense.

I've had my phone repaired twice and in both cases they wanted the passcode so they could thoroughly test the phone. The second place actually repaired it right in front of me, by appointment, "while you wait" so there was definitely no shenanigans there.

Basically any time they disassemble and reassemble the phone, especially with those little fragile connectors, they want to test full functionality of the phone. After he repaired my phone, the technician went through a post-repair test procedure to check for application launching, brightness controls, audio, all wireless methods, touch controls, etc. I see this as a sign of a quality shop.

So it makes perfect sense to me. In fact I'd say your first shop that didn't ask for the passcode is probably cutting corners.

In any case, if some repair shop wanted to steal your battery and swap it for a dead one, lack of the passcode wouldn't stop them. They don't seem related to me at all.

Last edited:

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
it's not that big a deal, but reading battery problems with iOS 11 might explain it also. But the thing is, even after iOS 11 update then to 11.0.1, my SE battery life was still good. I even took it up to the mountains for the weekend and camped, and battery life lasted all day, granted I didn't use it too much. After I got back from the mountains, I took it to the iPhone repair shop and since then I've noticed battery drains faster. Even when I'm at work, battery goes from 100% to 75% after 14 hours with hardly any use. Before it used to go from 100%to maybe 95% just on standby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.