Did the iPad pro become a laptop replacement with iOS 11?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamesrick80, Sep 19, 2017.

1. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Just wondering do you guys believe the iPad pro is officially a laptop replacement yet. Would you still prefer some mouse support and how is the Files application since updating to iOS 11? I noticed there is a Chrome OS looking dock on iOS 11 now...is that working well?

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The dock is an improvement in how multitasking works. The new multiwindow capabilities have made me glad that I went (and stayed with) the 1st gen 12.9 Pro. Multiwindow works even more smoothly than it did under 10.

I'm not digging the single column of widgets in landscape mode (under 10, there were 2 columns). I'm also not digging the task switcher including all recently used apps regardless of whether or not they're actually running.

The Files application looks promising. Seems like it might be more useful than Readdle's Documents but I'll have to spend more time with it.

As for mouse support, with the added tweaks and functionality introduced with iOS 11, I'd say that I need mouse support more than ever.

3. QCassidy352, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

For me, it can't be until it gets mouse support and a native file system (which it probably never will).

4. Cryates macrumors 65816

For a lot of people, the casual user, it’s damn close.

5. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I wish they kept the two column widgets too and the date on the widget screen...

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I do not think I can play a ton of games made for windows or even Mac on iPad .
    The iOS app capability is limited.
    No USB support for things like hard drive.
    Too limited to be considered as a desktop system (you can do some hack, debugging, coding, using utilities like dual column file explorer, and so on).
    So yes, mainly and probably only for casual users and some specialized professional users.

7. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

8. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Grab a My Passport Wireless 4TB Drive and app called File Browser. So no not by USB but you can connect to a hard drive. And for USB there are many dual lightning and USB sticks... like iDiskk, Leef iBridge, istore n go etc.

9. Ryanmrash macrumors regular

Ryanmrash

Only the user can decide if the iPad is a laptop replacement.

However the iPad is a worthy laptop alternative for many, many people.

That being said, I plan to purchase the next iteration of the 12.9 and migrate away from my MBP.

10. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

for some yes, others no.

me personally, no. its still a great companion device though.

11. steelo3232 macrumors regular

I would argue yes for the household and for those in school. With the changes in IOS 11 I’m not sure how this doesn’t do everything the average consumer would need it to do from a laptop perspective. If my job didn’t use windows and RDP links and remote desktop connections all over the place I could probably even use this as a work computer. However, the software I work with is windows based so, not really. However, for everything I do at home, this more than suffices as a laptop and then some and in many ways, is better in my view. The 12.9 second interaction with IOS is phenomenal in my view. I understand the mouse argument, I do. However, I think that is a generational issue, not a platform issue. My kids have grown up in a world with touch interaction. The mouse to them is more foreign than it is comfortable. Even I, prefer using the 12.9 and touching the screen seems more intuitive than clicking a mouse... that’s just me. AGAIN I GET THE MOUSE ARGUMENT AND FIND IT VALID... :)

12. sosumi99 macrumors member

sosumi99

Agree with this. I don’t use my Macbook much at this point, and most of my daily computing tasks are done on the iPad. It hasn’t replaced the laptop for me, but there are many tasks now I prefer to do on the iPad compared to the laptop because it’s a nicer alternative.

13. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

For many casual Users, yes, in that it presents the functionality needed to become the primary computing device for many of those Users.

14. ejin222 macrumors regular

I use a lot of Office programs. If they functioned in iOS as well as they did in Windows, I would fully switch over to iOS. But they don’t.

And I grew up in the generation of the mouse.

15. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Ive done a lot of thinking about my iPad Pro , and I think they’ve done it again. I’m glad I got it over a MacBook 12” or Air. To me it is really 50/50 between the iPad Pro 12.9 and the MacBook non pros.

I’ve been looking for something fit between my iPad Air 2 (which is the perfect toilet device) and my 8 lb 2014 MacBook Pro (the truck I call it since it does/carries everything).

Was considering a MacBook 12” (reminds me of my first Mac: a 12” PowerBook Ai) or a cheap Air , just to throw in my bag when all I need is ‘desktop’ OS portability. In a turn I went with the 12.9 + ASK , and to me it is a worthy device for this job. Just enough productivity capability with the dock and keyboard for work tasks, 512 GB of space for really carrying photos/movies/data on the go, while maintaining touch in the hand tablet ability. It is really Apple’s ‘Surface’.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If it is Apple's Surface then it falls far short. But as a tablet, it is a high quality option.

17. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I mean... is it just me? I feel like I'm in a bizarro world.

So far the multitasking "improvements" are that unless you only use apps already in your dock, you have to exit your running app and do this multi-fingered drag and drop to launch one app over another, rather than just pull down a full list of available apps without leaving your primary app. What is the use case where the new method makes things easier or better?

also the 'slide over' pane has become so finicky to position/dismiss, I almost always have to try multiple times to get it to register that gripper at the very top of the screen, the absolute furtherst place from where your hands are likely holding your device, I might add. I don't recall ever noticing any difficulty swiping it away in iOS 9 or 10.

also by selecting your secondary app from the dock/homescreen means there is no indication whatsoever if it is actually multitasking compatible, so I guess you just have to trial and error see what works?

and that gets even better because (for me at least) it is so buggy, even after verifying "allow multiple apps" is on in settings, sometimes multitasking simply... stops working... until I reboot. so maybe an app isn't multitasking-ready, or maybe the iPad just needs a restart. just keep fiddling with dragging and dropping icons onto things, because its cool and modern, right!?

sigh. I know it's all first world problems. I just...

18. Nisaja macrumors 6502

19. Works4Me, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

Works4Me macrumors regular

Not even close to a laptop replacement for me, though iOS 11 is an improvement. There are still too many programs I can't run on iOS or aren't up to snuff compared to their equivalents on my Mac. And multitasking, while better, still isn't close to what I can do on my iMac . That's not to say I don't enjy my iPad, but it's not there yet. Oh and screen size matters, too. I like my 12.9. but it isn't a fifteen inch, or a 27 iMac running two external displays...

20. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Try Mobisystems OfficeSuite

21. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Yes, I agree with this. As a tablet though (with the Pencil) it is an amazing device. But for my work flow, it cant replace the Surface Pro 4 - it is a critical supplement though.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There’s a lot to like in iOS 11, but the loss of 2 columns on the widget screen isn’t one of them!

I can’t think of a reason why they thought it was a good idea to go to a single column and waste so much space: the widget screen looked better and worked better as 2 columns...

On the subject of whether iOS 11 makes the iPad a true laptop replacement, It doesn’t for me but it makes it a better iPad and (apart from the widget screen), I like all the refinements and changes they’ve added.

The files app was a bit oversold though, IMO, as it’s currently little more than a revamped iCloud Drive app and doesn’t add much new functionality. Hopefully it can support tighter integration with cloud providers if they update their apps but unless and until it does then it doesn’t really add much

23. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Unfortunately not yet. For me it is still missing:
    1. A native recovery mode (similar to what macs have) to restore the iPad without a computer.
    2. Being able to "open in" the native Music and TV app (seriously, why do I still need iTunes to sync them?)
    3. Decent 3D-2D CAD software. Anything out there now is a major compromise, but on the same token, this is beyond iOS's control. It falls more on the developers.

Other than those simple things, the iPad is very capable at handling everyday tasks. I personally would still want a computer to jailbreak the iPad if they can manage to crack iOS11. So its very unlikely that iPad would completely eliminate my need for a computer due to this.

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

At the introduction of iOS 10, that pulldown list was handy because there were only 4 or 5 apps that supported multiwindow. As time passed, more apps added that support. As of the release of iOS 11 yesterday, I had approximately 40+ apps in that pulldown. There was no apparent rhyme or reason for the order that the apps appeared in.

I suspect that it won't be too long before ALL apps have that support... making that pulldown even longer.

I agree. I think that is a temporary software issue that will be corrected in a subsequent iOS update.

Only my guess, but as I mentioned above, I think the goal is that all iOS apps will support multiwindow.

25. bensisko macrumors 65816

Not any more or less so than it was with iOS 10.