Did the lack of discreet GPU kill the 13" rMBP for you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steve121178, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It's just a simple question that I am putting out there. Sadly it's killed it for me.

Perhaps any advancement with integrated graphics with Haswell may make the machine a more attractive purchase, but as it stands you would have to be loopy to part with so much cash for a glorified MBA.

This is the first time I've ever been bitterly disappointed with Apple.

2. Sech macrumors member

Yes. I lost all interest. We'll see come Hazwell, but I think I'll take an Air with that chipset instead.

3. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

No, the price killed it for me. But the 13" Pro has never had a discreet GPU before, why would it have one now? Maybe they somehow got the HD4000 to perform nicely but we'll find out shortly.

At this price I think it's between the 13" Air and the 15" Pro. The former if you have common sense, the latter if you have unlimited funds.

4. Fed macrumors 6502

Having bought the 13" non-retina this year, I was considering palming this off to my other half and buying the retina... but the lack of a quad core i7 killed it off for me. The retina doesn't bother me at all and frankly the form factor isn't an issue. It's all about the performance and thus without the quad CPU and discreet graphics, there's no point really.

5. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Generally I think the retina displays on their notebooks are way overvalued. So it was everything that killed it for me: price, lack of GPU and quad CPU, low base storage.

Not that I was going to get one anyway. Next year maybe.

6. Steve121178 thread starter macrumors 68040

Steve121178

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3540614/13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-hands-on

See, I know it doesn't have everything I want in a new notebook, but when I see how stunning it is, it puts me in a very difficult position. Arrghhhh!

7. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

The machine should operate fine, you don't need dedicated graphics for the retina display to operate smoothly.
    I personally don't mind, as they can keep the battery life.
    But I don't think my opinion would count for much as I am not looking to buy it.
    I am fairly confident that my current MacBook only a year and a half old mind you can last another 3 years or so, when I finish university. :cool:

8. Exana macrumors regular

Not only the lake of dGPU, but also the PRICE ! :eek:

9. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

In a word ...yes. That RAM limit doesn't help either, but HD 4000 integrated GPU pushing Retina rez? Total brain fart by Apple. We are finally seeing the ramifications of Job's untimely death. The pipeline is drying up and things are slipping through that would have resulted in prototypes being thrown back across a room with a few choice words.

Now, aside from a 100 buck a share loss in the past month, I have yet another reason to dump my AAPL shares.

PS - Lack of ability to use non TB GPU's to feed TB displays (Cinema or iMac in TDM) is another dumbazz move they've made. I'm not buying more products, more often, but less and less. They've already screwed up the Pro desktop, now the laptop too. As much as I hate Dell (foreign tech support), , they, or HP workstations are starting to look better and better. I'll keep my iPhones/Pad, but the rest???????

10. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The 128 GB at that starter price kind of killed it for me. Not too overly concerned about the graphics chip.

12. cirus macrumors 6502a

No, because i never thought they would put one in in the first place.

What killed it was the price. Cmon, it should have 256 GB standard, 128 barely costs more than a 750 GB 2.5 inch HDD

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm fine with the GPU.

Same CPU as the $1199 13" MBP and same SSD/RAM as a $1299 13" Air for a starting price of $1699 is what gets me.

I was really excited for this product too. Maybe with Haswell things will change a bit.

14. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have been wanting a decent GFX chip in the 13 for years as I think the size of the computer is perfect.

However, I wasn't expecting it, but there is no way in hell i would pay £1499 for any laptop with only 128GB SSD and an intel HD 4000 in it, that is ridiculous.

15. Steve121178 thread starter macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Amazingly I am still considering it. I have a base 2011 MBA and the 128 SSD and 4MB RAM makes it very hard to work with.

With the 13" rMBP I can get the storage I need, plus with the 8GB RAM I will be able to run a Windows 8 VM which will allow me to eliminate my MBA & Vaio Z.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yup it does.

$1700 is a lot of money and I just don't think Retina is that much of an impact to warrant spending the extra money.

Haswell has the opportunity to bring better graphics performance and quad core to this type of laptop and overall I think it's going to make a better Retina MBP.

I'll keep my 13" AIR for a year and then see where we are at Rev B.

17. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

If i could find a Windows laptop that was as lovely to use as my MBP i'd jump ship, but I can't so here i am!

18. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Yup. Lack of a decent GPU, poor config options, and god-awful "blind idiot" prices.

Seriously, its NOT in any way shape or form a good price, its hellishly overpriced, especially when you look at the low price diff between the base 13" and base 15" retina models.

Plus the weight difference between the two is minute, so even "portability" doesn't really come into it anymore.

Most certainly a fools purchase (no offence).

19. JD92, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The price and only HD4000 was a huge bummer.
    I would pay a little more cash to buy the 15in retina or save huge amount of cash with the MBA.

21. defektion macrumors regular

The lack of a discreet GPU does not kill me at all. The Intel HD 4000 is more than capable of doing all your day to day tasks, some lightweight photoshop work, and some light gaming.

22. Havok83 macrumors regular

Not really. The price and the fact that the low end model only has 128gb of space was the bigger dissapointment

23. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I love how people think they know the workings of the Apple board...truth is Jobs departure has nothing to do with the design of a MBP. Get over it.

In any event, its actually been proven that the HD 4000 is more than powerful enough to cope with the retina display in the 13", so your comments hold no weight at all.

24. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Not really....the screen can be powered by the Intel 4000 easily, and most of the time, the Intel 4000 is powering the 15 rMBP too. I have to say, 128 SSD is kinda small.
    However, the 13 rMBP is still a very nice product nonetheless. I will certainly consider it.

25. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

I've been waiting for this but I'll be skipping it because of no dGPU and 128 GB
    ssd. A base refurbished 15" cMBP 2012 with AG hi-res is priced at 1599. I will be getting this instead.