Did the quality of iPad 2 improve in later production weeks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mmo, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mmo macrumors member

Hi

I am seeing quite a lot of people complaining about the display on iPad 3, and people then saying that they are waiting for later production weeks before buying.
    There was similar talk when iPad 2 was released and as I remember a HUGE thread of people comparing production weeks/serials.

Now, I just wonder, was any form of conclusion ever reached? Did iPad 2 improve in later weeks? Because if there was no definite proof that it did then it seems a bit of a waste to wait until later weeks before getting a 3...

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No, get an early week. IPads have never had such a strong high quality launch.

Mine and many coworkers all got launch day, early weeks, and all perfect.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/02...action-rating-tops-consumer-reports-rankings/

First run were all Samsung LCD panels, later runs will be LG and/sharp, by all accounts better than LG's last year for iPad 2, and who knows how quality may fluctuate and become a lottery.

3. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

It already has/is. I'm hoping things will improve with time.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

There are likely 100 people complaining about something here. There were 3M iPads sold at launch. That is 0.00003333333333%. Even 10x that number (1000) wouldn't make a dent. So what do you consider to be a "lot of people"?

5. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ridiculous.

Don't listen to anyone who says week x y or z is better or worse than any other. I have owned week 2, week 6, 9....they all had some level of issues. To some, the issues I saw would be non issues. To others, they would be glaring.

And certainly don't listen to someone who claims "they're all fine now". That's just plain nonsense. Not even Tim Cook knows if they're all fine now.

If you want an iPad now, get one. You can't control or predict which one you'll get, even if you think knowing the week number helps, which it doesn't. When there are this many being produced, it's luck of the draw.

7. usmaak, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

usmaak macrumors regular

My last two were week 13 iPads. I think that's about as new as you can get. On one, the screen was greyish in the top left 1/4 of the screen. The second one had a greyish strip running down most of the left side.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I bet in the end there is not a bit of difference from one week to another. There is no good week or bad week from what I have read here. It is the lucky or unlucky draw and how OCD you are.

9. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Def luck of the draw. I got lucky on my second iPad, so far ;) lol. Perfect screen. It seems like most people find one by their 3rd or 4th try. Only a few are on their 7-10 new iPad.

Of course there are many who say they received perfect iPad on their first one so go figure.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

11. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

I didnt mean they are all perfect..... Some are far are far from it, I was just trying to say that it seems fine for a lot people. I don't think these flaws will get any better as they seem to be normal errors in the manufacturing process. They only way I see it getting better is better quality control or higher quality components. The latter I don't see happening.

12. usmaak macrumors regular

I got a new iPad 2 16GB last night. It was manufactured last week. Yes, they are still making them. I didn't know.

The screen is warmer than I'd expect, though I wouldn't call it yellowish like a couple of my new iPads were. It is definitely not as bright though. But the screen is extremely uniform and even. No dark spots. No weird colored spots. And to me, that is more important. The lack of screen uniformity is what turned me off on the new iPad. There was no noticable backlight bleed and absolutely no backlight leakage at all.

13. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Yup. That's why I returned my new iPad and held onto my iPad 2. The screen may not be as saturated, sharp or accurate but it is uniform and I got mine about a week after release a year ago.

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

The new iPad 2 ( the ones that are being sold alongside the iPad 3 ) are 32 nm instead of 45nm. So I'd get the new iPad 2 instead.

15. henhowc macrumors regular

Well iPad 2 had those supposed faulty LG units at launch. So general screen quality probably improved after those were taken out of the equation.