Did the USA get any "oil payments" from Iraq yet? Or have they officially anounced?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Jun 4, 2011.

1. rasmasyean, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

It seems recently, the Iraqi government has been giving out millions of barrels of oil to some of the foreign contractors for getting refineries and whatever up an running. Like BP and CNPC. I guess this makes sense as why bother going through exchanges and currencies to add unecessary costs...perhaps even evading some taxations.

I haven't heard of whether the US government is going to be getting any payment of raw extractions like this for "helping them oust Sadam" or anything, but are they planning to do this too? I know the US government isn't in the "refinery" business but it does have an oil reserve and stuff...some of which was used recently. Or maybe the US can sell excess to Exxon or whatever. Or are they planning to compensate the coalition, et al in another way for the $700+ billion they spend on the Iraq war?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The USA pushed a provision (In Iraq's government) years ago that allowed for 70%+ of Iraq's oil fields to be sold off to foreign corporations. They were.

It's only recently the Iraqi government has been reaffirming some of its sovereignty as it repealed a few contracts, but most of the biggest sell off occurred years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/4354269.stm

Also, anyone insisting that the Iraqi people, the Afghanistan people, or the Libyan people have to pay us or our allies back for invading them, well I just don't think you can get more of an imperial mindset than that. (not pointed at OP, just noticed the "paying us back" quote)

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Remarkably similar mindset to that of Saddam Hussein, who made the families of executed men pay for the bullets.

OP, are we going to compensate the Iraqis for the half million lives lost during the illegal occupation of their country?

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You see, the people of Iraq were unduly negligent in failing to rise up and overthrow that most evil despot Saddam Hussein. Thus, because we had to do it for them, they owe us a debt of gratitude for pulling them out from under his oppressive thumb, whilst also safening up the rest of the world through his elimination (yeah, a bunch of crap). This cost in lives is merely the delayed effect of the pent up violence that was simmering there beneath his tyranny.

</sark>

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I may be reading too much into this, skunk, but I think OP put the "helping them oust Sadam" in quotes for a reason.

Also, on a side note, a poster here the other day told another that we'd be shocked by your life-story and experiences related to many topics discussed here. Any chance a curious forum member could get a condensed version via PM if you're up for it? I recall being fascinated by your story of sitting on a world leaders lap as a child while a country's borders were being discussed or drawn up.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any reason is certainly unclear.

It was the King of Bahrain, probably the uncle of the present King. I spent the first five years of my life in the Gulf, followed by five years in Turkey. I was sent to Bombay for two months with my nanny when I was two, to avoid the disturbances of the last major Shia uprising in 1955. Plus ça change...

The last time I saw Dubai, it was mudbrick houses, dhows and camels.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought our payback was when we were greeted as liberators.

8. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm not talking about "the Iraqis" in general. I'm talking about the Iraqi government. I'm sure the Iraqi government that we put into power is very grateful albeit "killing half a million people" (if that's even accurate). The will of people (whatever it may be) can and does often contrast with the will of it's government. But in this case, the leaders that we put into power ARE indebted to us for doing so, so it's not very far fetched to expect "special considerations" when doing future business. And since like 90% of Iraq's GDP is oil...and it's in the government's hands... ;)

9. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

An interesting read. If anything is true about that, it definitely falls in line with the the fact that the answer lies in the money trail. And "ideology" is just a bunch of political BS that even the hard-core believers rarely ever win on. :p

I wonder if there are any "uncovered stories" around involving the Defense Tycoons and how they "defined the rules of the game".

10. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

12. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

of course not, we fight their war against their leader, get rid of him, lose thousands of lives in the process and get NOTHING in return.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Depends who you mean by "we". Some of "us" got very rich, very quickly.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Why'd we start the war then?

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Very subtle. Shall we discuss who is meant by "Their"? ;)

It sure as hell wasn't the Iraqi people's war.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

posted before but still recommended to read:

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

In fishing parlance, I believe that's called "setting the hook". ;)

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"Iraq asks US congressman to leave over 'repay' remark"

well skunk, don't you think you should share some of your loot with the rest of us? :p

in other news;

19. rasmasyean, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Check this out. Iraq is the #4 world oil reserve. And out of the "top 5" only Iran is not "friendly" at this point. And according to that chart, Iran should be #3 "exporter" instead of Iraq (and considering that Iraq is just rebuilding right now...). It looks like Iran is holding out on us! Axis of Evil! We gotta do something about it!!! :p

http://www.mint.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/mint-world-resources-map-r2.gif

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats great news! It shows that Iraq may actually have a bit of sovereignty in it, regardless of our efforts to build a sock puppet government.

21. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1

Not to mention how Saddam had broken the 1991 terms of armistice many times over-- an armistice which followed his unprovoked and brutal invasion of Kuwait. GWB had every right and obligation to finish the job.

22. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

23. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

We hung the guy who made sure no extremists and terrorists lived in Iraq. I don't recall a suicide bomber or any act of terrorism ever going on in Baghdad before the US invaded Iraq.

I think China and Israel do the same making the families of executed men pay for the bullets.