Did they fix the scratching issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgqueenx, Sep 10, 2013.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

why i got no black model last year....you can scratch the iphone 5's edges really really easily.
    i really want to know if they fixed it....

2. PaulOBrain macrumors regular

Well no one knows yet do we because none of us have one?

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Since aluminum is a softer metal I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you throw your 5S around without a case it will still get scratched, yes.

Although they did replace the "slate" with "space grey" which should probably improve the durability against scuffs.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Unfortunately, it still says aluminum for the 5S at Apple.com.

5. mateo124 macrumors regular

If they somehow anodized all the way through the aluminum then the problem would be solved.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Oh my, scratches from real-world use. :eek:

My goodness. I guess you better lock your next phone up in a climate-controlled vault and never ever use it.

Bryan

7. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Or get the silver one. So it keeps shiny.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Instead of using a stronger coat of slate, we have "space gray" so that scratches are less visible! :rolleyes:

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The issue was scratches out-of the box or from very little use. It was an actual problem so don't down play it. The OPs question is legit.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

It's still only a cosmetic concern though.

11. 617aircav Suspended

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I agree. I don't put a case on my phones though, and I have never had to baby a phone like I did the 5.

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

If you don't like cases why not simply put on a 0.2mm case that adds almost zero bulk?

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It's still a case. It changes the feel and look no matter how minimalistic it is. I have always been that way with phones and it has never been an issue. I usually put my phone in a cup holder when driving. With the 5 I use to keep it in my lap or passenger seat. It's a very weird material choice. Even people who used cases had issues with debris tarnishing those chamfered edges.

15. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

This is a very good solution.

And for those of us that don't use any case whatsoever (I'm one of them), it's not a big deal getting a few scratches on your phone. I just find it humorous when people complain about a surface scratch from real-world every day use, especially when there are a thousand different products to protect your phone.

It's an iPhone that will be sold or discarded within a few years, not a piece of museum art.

Bryan

16. Warcake macrumors regular

How the hell would anyone here know when it hasn't been released? Jesus **** man. Think before you ask.

17. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

It's sucks they dis-continued the black/slate!

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I thought the 5s was slate, Grey, and champagne

19. Kurso macrumors 6502

I did not have a iPhone 5. Were the scratches on the back or around the edges of the whole phone?

I'm sure I'll panic the first time I scratch it. In fact on my current iPhone I unboxed it 30 seconds before I handed it to someone to place the protective coating on it (useless in the end of course).

20. gadget123 macrumors 68000

There's a grey one, gold and white. One white one has silver edges and one has gold.

There's a lot of confusion around but the press conference clearly shows three Iphone 5S colours.

21. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Amen brother.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The website shows otherwise. It shows a white/Grey the slate one and then a white/champagne. Unless the slate is black and Grey but it sure looks slate on the Apple website.

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

How much more different is the new "space gray" compared to "slate"? I can't tell the difference from the photos I've seen of both. Maybe, a side by side comparison, which I've yet been able to search for.

24. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

There's a videos from about 3 weeks ago that did a test between the black and champagne versions. The black was a current iPhone 5, the champagne was a shell he was sent of the 5s. Everything looked legit then, and looks even more legit now after seeing the announcement today.

But anyway to answer your question, not it doesn't look like they fixed it according to the video:

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3