Did Trump just destroy democracy in America? (3ed debate)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 19, 2016.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

In 2000, Florida, the count was initially estimated at less than 1000 votes.
    That spurred recounts, massive debates, the Supreme court, political dealing, and the sobering shock the USA had (has?) a poor voting process.

HOWEVER December 12, 2000 after the process ran its course and Supreme court sided against Gore, Gore conceded and congratulated Bush.
    The next day Bush offered a conciliatory speech to try and bring the US together.

Today's 3ed debate (10/19/16) when asked of Trump if he would accept the results of election it was "I will tell you at the time,” and “I will keep you in suspense,

It looks like he will loose by a big margin, but refuse to accept vote?

The US education system is ranked 27th in world (average), is our political system also going down in rankings?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem is that Trump has a very different platform from the traditional republican one, so I have always expected him to do both better and worse than expected. Also women seem more drawn to Hilary than men compared to previous elections.

The thing is Trump has handled himself so badly I'm not convinced he will get an upside.

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I'm not sure what he was trying to achieve by saying something like that, unless he's living in his own imaginative world or something.

The damage his past has done to his campaign is evident, and it's not a secret that his some of his supporters are crazy nuts. So, something that would have shown Trump to be a mature person would have helped him rise in the polls ever so slightly. Thus, I have come to the conclusion that

a) Trump is going to rig the election and win it
    b) He's just going to whine and complain that the election was rigged if he loses
    c) He wants to "keep the suspense" to make sure he still gets the crazy votes in. If Trump concedes that he'll graciously accept defeat, it'll give his campaign a huge blow given how people are really hyped about the rigged election right now. In the end, his plan is to be professional and concede defeat peacefully and gracefully.
    d) Like option c, except his plan is to go all out crazy. He attacks Hillary, manages to kill her, and he lands in jail. This one is a bit extreme, thankfully there aren't any crazy Hillary fans in this subforum.
    e) I guess ... option C + winning. And then a bunch of tweets about Crooked Hillary and gloating.

4. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

He's either off his rocker, or he's trying to string along enough supporters for his next business: TrumpTV.

America's democracy survived Bush v. Gore, it'll survive this ignorant, loud mouth, racist jackass.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he disputes the election results.

6. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

If we get in a recount situation, Trump's mouth is likely to cause trouble, but I doubt we'll get to a recount situation.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2016 ---
    There will likely be a clear winner and loser, sorry not everyone gets a trophy. Be it Trump or Hillary.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Unless Trump does better than expected. Yes.

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Stop taking his words seriously. He is simply trolling as always.

That said, #lockherup :D

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I get that's a social media term but I'm not used to it, what does it mean in this context?

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

From an electoral standpoint no amount of recounting will make a difference. He'd have to successfully get numerous states overturned to get anywhere near 270. It would be a waste of everyone's time.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Donald Trump is the end result of thirty years of Republican race-baiting, fear-mongering, hatred and lies.

The GOP has spent decades carefully crafting a platform based on the resentments and ignorance of poorly educated white people, designed to prop up the privileged roles and lifestyles of the rich. And this year, the wheels came off that wagon.

There is nothing wrong with the US electoral system. The fact that it is comprised of literally thousands of independent state and local parts, the very definition of decentralization, means it's impossible to hack or seriously rig.

Donald Trump is a stupid; narcissistic; unpleasant human being. I'm very sorry so many foolish people in this country don't see him for what he is.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

1) media is biased

2) Hillary has a history of getting questions before the debate starts, Brazile even stated that she gets the questions early sometimes in an email and was able to furnish Hillary with questions early on before.

3) She rigged the election against Bernie

4) She paid operatives to create violence at Trump rallies, something the left was crying about and the media ran with for days, they created the violence as many of us suspected.

5) videos show liberals setting up to participate in voter fraud, at the same time the left refuses to admit that you might be able to vote illegally because they have too much to gain.

6) Hillary should be in jail.

13. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Blah blah misogyny.

Blah blah Russia...

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Oh, it's not about a trophy or any other liberal meme. The reason has been repeated several times by the media over the last year. People don't believe the reason, or the reason seems too obvious to be considered.

15. cube macrumors G5

It is an inflection point in a long process.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

What Trump lacks in intelligence he makes up with sensation.

He should have got that EMMY by the way

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah - our education system spends WAY, WAY more than any other education system too. Thats what the School Unions tell us we need to do...spend MORE to get results. Except, ehhh, the data clearly shows that money isnt the problem. The problem is that too much of that money ends up in the pockets of the school system employees via pay & lavish benefits. You'll never get them to admit that though. Bunch of crooks.

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

People can assume whatever they want, but no one will know the outcome until Nov.9th. The Trophy can't be split like a baby.

19. AsherN macrumors 6502

But that was normal democracy. A State was close and contested. A recount was done, the loser conceded and the process moved on. Recounts are normal in a democracy. What is unprecented here is a candidate casting doubts on the integrity of the process and refusing to accept the will of the people.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It could be 2000 again and go to the Supreme Court.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

The election isn't rigged. Trump's worse enemy is himself. Naturally if he were to win, the system isn't rigged, right? So there's a fallacy logic in his premise. Even if he wanted to spin it as the greatest comeback story. If he doesn't concede, it should be a huge wake up call to his followers that it's always been about him, not the country.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL. Electoral College blowouts do not end up in front of the SC.

I wanted Hillary to ask him, If the system is so rigged, how is that Republicans control both the House and Senate and more than 30 state houses?

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You know what they say about assumptions. It's not over until it's over.

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

You forgot to mention Vince Foster, AIDS, and the H1N1.

25. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Since 1988:
    Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama-Clinton

How one can say with 100% certainty that the elections have not been tampered with is beyond me.