Did Trump save Twitter?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

For quite a while now Twitter has been the poster child for big Silicon Valley investment running amuck with no substantial profitability in sight. I think it’s safe to say at this point that Twitter is going to be a cornerstone of Trump’s presidency. How involved do you think Trump will be in keeping them afloat? Do you think this will make Twitter more attractive for a third party takeover?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I like the fact trump seemingly gives the MSM the middle finger by bypassing them. I don't tweet so......

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

With Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other emerging social media what point is there for Trump to facilitate the Press? The same Press that was blatantly biased and support the Democratic Party. Sure Trump sounds like a moron with only 140 characters, but if you're looking to twitter for major political discussion, some one is a twat and it isn't the person tweeting.
    Do we only give praise when our side uses social media effectively? I know I never did that. That's one of the few things I give Obama respect for, he actually attempted to engage in "new and emerging" outlets.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He's going to have to stop tweeting eventually policy, guidance, and direction i.e. his job, is done in more than 140 characters

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Not really, you can do in less.
    "Invade Iraq." is only 12 characters. You have 128 to spare.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He can use YouTube for longer things, heck he already has.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

have you heard him speak? not sure he is capable of more than 140 characters :p

the MSM can go fornicate itself.

8. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Sad but true. I’ve said it before, I don’t know how somebody with such an extremely small vocabulary got as far as he did in business, especially considering how much he was covered by the media for decades.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

is he playing dumb? or is he truly dumb? not only is he rich, he beat 16 republicans AND a crooked lying POS democrat. he predicted all along he was going to win so he MIGHT just play the dumb one in order for others to drop their guards

[​IMG]

10. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

And it’s another slap in Obama’s face with his eloquent speeches. I hope Trump takes it further and gives us the first state of the union speeches with multiple “F%@# that!”’s.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

IT would be refreshing over the constant bull spewed by most politicians. we have a nation of namby pamby college morons looking from safe space from freaking words. it's bad here and these morons will grow up,,,I mean get old enough to one day be in office :mad:

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I find Twitter the most useful of all social media platforms and it is the app I use most, but I don't think their long term outlook is very good. Does anyone know how they make money?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

well , if you ever start stripping like I did, DON'T make the mistake of offering refunds, hard lesson learned there :(

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ads/Sponsored tweets.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The only problem is that Twitter and YouTube, et. al. are one-way streets. No one can ask a question or push for an explanation. Unlike a press conference, in which there's some give and take, these social media systems will allow presidents to hide from tough questions.

I know there's a lot of hate for the media, but Trump fans once bashed Clinton for avoiding press conferences. I think they're largely a dead parrot, but allowing President-elect to use Twitter to avoid the media is a strikingly bad idea.

Donald Trump is a prince of ******** who used the idea of political correctness as an aegis for his cruel taunts and empty promises. And, at this point, the idea that "safe spaces" are a meaningful cultural idea for you to tilt at is a sign that you've been hooked and reeled in.

Stop being so easily conned into the idea that the whinging of a spate of social-media connected college students stands for the rest.

The short answer is Twitter doesn't make money, but the company is all about ad sales. Essentially, they're selling your social media account as an eyeball for sponsored Tweets and other ads. They are essentially operating like Google and Facebook, selling you as the product to advertisers, who hope to convert that attention to purchases.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Not true. Live feed questions. Or as in the case of Obama and the science fair type YouTube he had multiple YouTube personalities like the guy from "Smarter Everyday".

17. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

If Twitter's problem is that they aren't profitable enough... is Trump just gonna start writing checks?

You asked... "Did Trump save Twitter?"

But the question should be... "is Twitter profitable since Trump was elected President?"

If the answer to that last question is "NO"... then he did not save Twitter.

The same issues will remain.

If Twitter couldn't become profitable despite all the media attention it got during this crazy election cycle... what makes you think a new owner can make it profitable?

I dunno... perhaps Twitter is damaged goods.

It's amazing... but it's not profitable enough. Sometimes that happens.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A good point, but I don't think a moderated comments system is remotely close to standing in a smallish room and been pressed by one or two people, while a group of a few dozen watches closely.

YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter all allow the person to moderate and control questions. Even Reddit's AMA has questions that are ignored, and followups are rare.

19. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I have no proof and it's pure conjecture on my part, but I don't believe that the questions asked in the Press briefings at the White House haven't been vetted by administration officials prior to being asked. So a moderated question section in a YouTube/ pick your social media of choice would be much different than what goes on now.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

They're not, so a moderated section of YouTube et. al. is different.

Now, some press secretaries have used access as a stick and carrot for pool reporters, but that system can be effected in a social media system as well. There's really no gain for the public in allowing Trump (or future Democrats) to avoid the press.

Moreover, conservatives used to think that Clinton's relationship with the press was a problem—even Trump called Clinton out on her lack of press conferences—but now they're okay with moderated YouTube comments.

Sad.

21. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Perhaps my question got a little ahead of itself. I’m saying there is more than just financial incentive to keep Twitter around now. To barrow from another phrase, it’s too essential to the POTUS to fail.

Personally I hope it also brings a lot more attention to all the services people feel are life essential but aren’t willing to pay for any of it. It’s like a weird tech welfare system.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If you aren't paying for it, you are the product.

23. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think that is an oversimplification and an economic system that isn’t sustainable.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the entire industry decided they would charge at least $1 a month for access to their service. How many people would stop using the service? Would the quality of user interaction improve? How loud would some people be screaming it’s a form of economic welfare on behalf of the people who can’t spare $1 a month.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's amazing what we get addicted to and what we believe that we "need". I was on FB for a long time until I dumped it. Around the same time I joined up here and another site. The other site I voluntarily pay anywhere between $24-$60 a year for more features. I've been on here a lot lately so I have been wondering about where to do the "Contributing Member" thing here. I doubt the quality would improve if anything it might go down, little at the fuss that happens when YouTube bans a popular channel or changes the pay system.

25. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think the double standard is rooted in the fact that everyone knows the so-called "media" were de facto Hilary shills and DNC surrogates.

On the other hand no one wants to see another Trump interview where the topic is grabbing *****. All the big city liberal brains still haven't figured out that stuff doesn't resonate.