Did Uber just announce ‘victimize me’ policy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 20, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.examiner.com/article/did-uber-just-announce-victimize-me-policy-for-drivers-passengers

concealed carrier saves a bunch of people and the response is to ban guns:rolleyes:

2. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Lots of corporations have policies like this. This is the kind of corporate policy that I call a "profits over people" policy. I've never used or driven for any ride-sharing service, but I'd ignore such a policy. The reality is that Uber's and Lyft's drivers and passengers are basically disposable as far as the corporation is concerned.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Everything in America is profits over people. People are disposable. The almighty dollar is the only thing that matters.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Most of my threads use the article title

What is laughable is how do they think they will enforce such policy?

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

The movie "Collateral" comes to mind. Tom Cruise as a hit man taking a cab to all of his intended targets. Here, he has tied up the cabbie, played by Jaime Foxx, who has a chance to yell for help.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Simple. Driver sees someone with a gun getting into his car, he declines that passenger. Manager sees driver with a gun, they either get rid of it, or don't drive. This is not hard.

FYI..as long as the driver is fully trained and tested, I think drivers should have the option. However, I have no issue with the policy. And the firearm should be noted to anyone entering the vehicle.

8. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Concealed means concealed.

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I've used Uber maybe a dozen times, and my understanding is the drivers have no training or tests whatsoever, and there are no managers dispatching the drivers. It's just individuals who sign up through the app, and then the app refers them to a passenger in the area needing a ride.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

We are in CA. No open carry here. Odds of seeing someone openly carrying are slim to none .
    Uber can't dictate what goes on in OUR car as regardless of what just passed, we are independent contractors not employees. It's MY car, not theirs

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Pretty much it. We did go through a back ground check .

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I wonder if they could successfully argue in court that your car while taking passengers is like BYOD in effect the car is not completely yours while passengers are riding? If they cannot then the policy is probably enforceable but the how is the question.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Unless they plan on frisking you I dint see how they can even dream of enforcing it

14. zin macrumors 6502

According to a recent California Labor Commission ruling, Uber drivers are in fact employees and not independent contractors. When you are driving passengers, you are working and providing a service, something which Uber will dictate the terms for.

If you want to have a firearm on board then don't work for Uber. Otherwise carry a firearm and they'll fire you.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wonder if they can enforce a BYOD - like policy with independent contractors rather than supervised employees.

16. zin macrumors 6502

Doesn't take very much for a passenger to see a gun and report the vehicle plate number to Uber.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I really don't know? I have a feeling though it was researched before it was announced.

I have little drawer under the passenger seat of my Jeep that you couldn't see that could store most common handguns.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's possible, but some things also vary by state. For example non-compete clauses are mostly unenforceable in California. It doesn't mean you would be absolved of liability if you steal trade secrets, but there are very few situations where an employer could prevent you from joining a competitor.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Uber is appealing the ruling. They can fire you fit any reason they see fit

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Been carrying for months, no issues

21. snberk103 macrumors 603

"By announcing this prohibition, Uber may well have just told street criminals to rob drivers and victimize passengers, even though payments are made through the mobile app. Criminals may just figure that drivers and passengers are carrying cash for other purposes." [Quoted from the article in the first post]

Here in the rest of the developed world (who do tend to ban guns carried by drivers and passengers - and, really, the public in general) violent crimes must be hugely and massively under reported since the published stats tell us we're very much safer than the gun-toting Americans. The statistics couldn't possibly be true since apparently we're just sitting ducks.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Different cultures

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

That was kinda my point. One of the biggest differences being the culture's decisions regarding gun ownership.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

The comparison is of a gang of at least 5 men/terrorists who trained to kill as many people as possible vs the 11,000 people killed by firearms in the USA in 2010 (according to the CDC). Most of those deaths are by the ones and twos and not mass killings (as Charleston was). If you adjust for population then the rate of deaths by guns in the USA would be 44,000 compared to 33 in China - to use your example. Looking at the UNODC (UN Office on Drugs and Crimes) numbers... China with 4 times the population has an overall homicide rate that is about the same as the overall US rate of homicides just by guns. And in the US more than half of the deaths by guns is by suicide, so if the US had a population that matched China's then there were would be ~100,000 people killed by guns (homicides and suicides) each year in the US. But of course - China has a different culture... they prohibit guns for the most part, among other things.