Did Walmart employees buy up iPad2 with discount to scalp them?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bluguru, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bluguru macrumors newbie

I just talked with a buddy who could not get a iPad so he bought one off Craigslist at an elevated price. The receipt that came with it showed a Walmart associate discount (marked out of course). However, even worse is that the person told him that he had another iPad2 Ebay. Has anyone else heard Walmart employees buy up the limited iPad stock using their discount so they could scalp them. I did go by Walmart last week and of course they were out of stock and now I know why. I wonder what their managers or corporate would say to this, much less Apple? I guess it is not about ethics anymore, but supply and demand. I did give him a hard time for promoting the behavior by paying the ransom. He said it was worth it to get it without waiting in line.

2. jordanhendrix macrumors newbie

he's lying....I work at walmart we cant buy the IPAD 2 until 90 days after......and there is NO discount on any apple products EVER.

The reason you went to Walmart and the Ipad 2 was gone is the same reason it is gone everywhere......DUH!!!

3. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

4. bluguru thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe, but I doubt it. He pulled up the order online for me last night using the receipt order number and the email address of the person selling it. He was not lying about the Walmart employee nor the discount. It was listed as associate discount of approximately 10 percent. What is a Walmart discount? Is there any other discount called associate discount that is 10 percent? Below is from the pdf of the order. I do not want to mention names or locations here. This is cut and paste.

Associate Discount: -$69.90
    Shipping: Free
    Estimated Sales Tax: $31.45
    Order Total: $660.55

5. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Clearly you don't work at Walmart because I can tell you for a fact that you are wrong about no discounts on Apple products. I know several people who work at Walmart and I had one of them buy me an iPod Touch with their Walmart Associate Discount.

Besides, so what if someone used their employee discount to buy one? There is nothing wrong with that as long as they waited in line or ordered it online like everyone else had to. There is no proof at all that the person somehow hoarded iPad stock to themselves and prevented other customers from buying it. Just because a receipt shows a discount does not mean anything and it is pure speculation.

The OP is acting crazy in my opinion.

6. sparkstsa, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

sparkstsa macrumors regular

My wife works at Walmart and I ordered a black iPad 2 32GB WiFi from Walmart.com using our 10% discount. Ordered it shortly after 5:00PM on launch day.

Subtotal:$599.00
    Associate Discount:-$59.90
    Shipping:Free
    Sales Tax:$37.74
    Order Total:$576.84

Should be here any time now. Tracking shows in transit to store from delivery facility, which is only 2 1/2 hours away.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

$576.84 for a 32g wifi iPad 2...I'd say Walmart done robbed you:D

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's supposed to be a bargain? That's the price of the NEW 32gig wi-fi iPad 3. Apple dropped the prices $100 the day of the "3" launch. They owe you $100 (less discount).

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah a friend of mine got me my ipad 2 %10 off from walmart a while back.. so the post you said you cant... yeah :eek:

10. MathiasVH macrumors regular

11. icydog macrumors member

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

OY! :eek:

13. Grease2310 macrumors member

14. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

How did somebody find a message thread that was a YEAR OLD?

#$^#$%&

16. quasinormal macrumors 6502a