Did we determine if we can use iPhone Upgrade Plan if we're not eligible for upgrade with carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by El3ctronics, Sep 12, 2015.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I bought an iPhone 6 Plus last year on a 2 yr commitment with AT&T so I'm definitely not eligible for an upgrade this year. That being said if I can use the iPhone Upgrade Plan from Apple then I would definitely upgrade to the S Plus. Anyone know if I am able to take advantage or this plan and if I am whether I would have to trade in my current device or not? Thanks.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes you can use the iPhone upgrade program. It has nothing to do with your contract with your carrier. It is equivalent to buying the phone for full price.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

It is just a personal loan method of paying off a larger purchase with the added bonus of guaranteed trade in after a year. I doubt you even have to have a carrier to purchase one on the plan.

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apparently you're unaware that just one fast call to 611 would get your question answered accurately.

5. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I was not able to. I had a year left on my contract. And Verizon and Apple both emphasized that I had to be eligible to sign an new two yr agreement. Or I could have added a line. So I am selling my 6 plus and financing the new phone on a card. And using what I get from selling my old phone to help pay off the new phone. Which in my case adds up to the same thing as financing it with Apple.

6. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

Doesn't 611 call your carrier? The carrier has nothing to do with the iPhone Upgrade plan from Apple and I'd be more surprised if they even knew WTF I was talking about.

7. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

This is what has me concerned. I've heard different things from different people.

8. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I may have been able to be get the eligible financing. I may have gotten bad info. But I'm getting $500 for my old phone. My new phone is $850. I would only be left with a balance of $350 on my card. So i can just pay off that balance over the next year as if I were to finance the new phone from Verizon or Apple.

9. dave420 macrumors 65816

I just went through the process online and it didn't even verify my eligibility with AT&T. It simply scheduled me for an appointment on the 25th.

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Your obligation to your carrier is that you maintain the service for the 2 year period. For that obligation the carrier subsidizes a portion of the cost of your phone. After that they don't care about your phone anymore. All they want is for you to keep paying them for 2 years. The upgrade program just spreads the full cost over 24 months with an option to upgrade at 12 months and renew the 24 month payment plan. Since the carrier isn't subsidizing the upgrade program they don't care if you change phones on the line. I'm only a year into my 6+ and I'm upgrading and giving the 6+ to my wife.

11. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

So to do the upgrade program you don't need to be with one of the major 4 carriers?

As far as I knew they checked your upgrade eligibility with the carrier to proceed with the iPhone Upgrade Program.