iPad Did you buy a Mini and wish you got the full size?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMas70, Nov 12, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I waited to see what the iPad Air had to offer before I decided if I was going to get one. I currently have the 32GB version of the iPad 4 (cellular) that I'm very happy with. The upgrades are nice and I finally got to handle one at the Apple Store last week (damn, that thing is light!) but, I still don't think that I really have a need for one. And then, it hit me. My kids always take over my iPad when they are with me. Mostly the twin 8 year olds. With Christmas around the corner, I've been trying to figure out what to get them and then it hit me... an iPad for them to share. At first I started to think that I'll get them a 16GB Mini. Just the Wifi version that they can use at home. If they do use it while we are in the car, I can set it up to use my iPad's data.

The 16GB Wifi version of the Air is $499 and $399. for the Mini. Not that I have a bunch of money to toss around but it's only a hundred dollar difference between the two. I've never really been a big fan of the Mini. Not that I don't like it. I just prefer a larger screen. I'm going to go back to the Apple Store to check them out some more next week but I'm wondering if anyone has bought a Mini and wished they had got the full size version.

The next option that I have that I'm trying to avoid is getting a new one for myself and giving my current iPad to my kids. That would cost me more money and it would eliminate a very nice Christmas gift for them.

*Note - I know that kids should be outside playing, falling out of trees, riding their bikes in the street and doing all of the stuff that we used to do when we were kids. I've seen those discussions here. No need to discuss that again :)

2. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Purchased an iPad Air 128gb AT&T black online @ apple

I saw how light and perfect size the air was today and I will not be returning for a mini.

A mini is good but school wise I need a bigger screen.

I love typing landscape on the ipad air.

This should last me a good two years before I get a new one. Yaaaaaay lol.

3. Aridia macrumors newbie

I think a first generation iPad mini should be right for kids. It's $200 difference and they won't notice the lack of retina.

I have had both an iPad and iPad mini. I used to like more the big iPad, but now I have only the mini and it's more than enough.

4. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

First off, I would strongly suggest that you not give your kids an iPad. Kids should be outside playing, falling out of tr... just joking. :)

I have both and much prefer the larger screen. I feel like if I'm even going to use a tablet, it's got to be a significantly different experience than my phone. The mini just doesn't cut it in that respect for me. Mine just pretty much sits unused most of the time.

5. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

The iPad mini is the perfect size for me and fits my needs perfectly, I don't regret for one minute buying the mini. I'm looking forward to upgrading to the third or fourth gen model once retina and Touch ID are both available on the iPad.

6. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I have a 32 space air and a 32 wte mini 2. I cannot decide which is going back!!!!!!

----------

Note: there is clearly a difference in the screen quality. The air is better.