Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I see many folks here debating the Hi Res or Non Hi Res displays on the 15" MBP. For those looking for the Hi Res option, few are interested in the 17". Is this purely a cost factor? It does not appear the 17" has that much larger a chassis and would not be all that more cumbersome to carry. Yet the display would be easier on the eyes a bit over the Hi-Res 15". I am wanting a new MBP (2007 15.4" 2.4 C2D here), but I am leaning to the 17". So I was just curious why so many pass on the 17" in favor of the 15"

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Both are great choices.

I chose the 15" based on the fact that I travel extensively & don't always have room for the larger footprint of the 17". Weight is not an issue.

That said I highly suggest the 17". I am buying one the moment my travel schedule is reduced.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
reasons why someone would pick a high res 15 over 17

1) cost, the most important factor to most people.
2) they are students and 17 is too big. I ran a poll re age in the past on here and there is a larger amount of college students
3) frequent flyers/travelers

thats it. most of the other reasons are just because people do not want to admit it is because of cost.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
When I looked at both in the store, the 17" looked like it would work better than the 15" if used on a desk without an external display. However, seeing as I intended to use my MBP in clamshell mode with a 23" Dell monitor, the 15" made more sense. It's more portable and cheaper to boot.

Excluse

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
well it is. if money was no option most would have loaded up 17s.

This is NOT true. I do have the money for the 17" which I am willing to pay for but I prefer the 15" simply because I am a student.
I've walked around with a non-unibody 17" MBP for a day in my backpack and that really helped me make my decision.
When spending $2000+ on a laptop, money isn't as important as getting exactly what you want.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
When I looked at both in the store, the 17" looked like it would work better than the 15" if used on a desk without an external display. However, seeing as I intended to use my MBP in clamshell mode with a 23" Dell monitor, the 15" made more sense. It's more portable and cheaper to boot.

I never understood turning a notebook into a desktop. i have an imac for that? Please enlighten me.

This is NOT true. I do have the money for the 17" which I am willing to pay for but I prefer the 15" simply because I am a student.
I've walked around with a non-unibody 17" MBP for a day in my backpack and that really helped me make my decision.
When spending $2000+ on a laptop, money isn't as important as getting exactly what you want.

students should not get a 17. see my above post.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I have used a powerbook 17" for about 4 years and never considered going smaller when I ordered my Macbook Pro last year. In fact, I bought a 24" LED display to use as my main monitor when I'm at work. Money and saving euro's was never in mind. Also, I find my laptop portable enough to carry it from work to home every day.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I never understood turning a notebook into a desktop. i have an imac for that? Please enlighten me.
My MacBook Pro is my primary computer. When I come home, instead of using an iMac or another computer, I can "dock" my MacBook Pro and use it comfortably with a large screen. I have a bluetooth keyboard and an RF mouse so it becomes a desktop. When I am on the go, I unhook my laptop, throw it in my bag and it's just as portable as it would otherwise be.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
students should not get a 17. see my above post.

I use a 17in for 4 years going all over campus and it never was an issue. Infact, I loved the fact that I had enough real estate to have a browser open surfering while taking notes without havin to go back and forth

Excluse

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
My MacBook Pro is my primary computer. When I come home, instead of using an iMac or another computer, I can "dock" my MacBook Pro and use it comfortably with a large screen. I have a bluetooth keyboard and an RF mouse so it becomes a desktop. When I am on the go, I unhook my laptop, throw it in my bag and it's just as portable as it would otherwise be.

QFT.
Being a teenager/ soon to be college student, I only have enough money for one high-end laptop.
I can't afford to buy a MBP for taking to classes and an iMac to keep in my dorm.
Perks of the monitor + MBP setup
1. I have a larger workspace when I'm in the dorm, along with the wireless keyboard and mouse
2. I still have all my work since it is the same HD
3. When I'm done at "home" I can just grab my work and go

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
the 17" just feels and looks too big to me, even though its not really much bigger. 15" feels good in my hands.

sb28

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
I'm a student - 17" is too large, 15" is maximum (13" witch Core i and HiRes would be perfect).
In addition 17" doesn't look good in my eyes: too much silver aluminium, black keyboard looks lost in there, why didn't they add a numeric keyboard? Maybe looks even worse with numeric keyboard but looks strange witout, too...

Of course 1920*1200-Resolution is great, but sell it with 15" please, 17" is too large. In fact 1680*1050 is enough for mobile use and at home I don't use an iMac or any other Mac/PC, one device(!), not more, not less, no syncing! Therefore simply connect your i7-MBP to an 26"-Display (like me) or bigger and there you go :D

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
15" is the notebook sweet spot for me.
portable and has a comfortable screen.
the only time I would get a 17" over a 15" is if there were some upgrade only attainable in that model etc. quad-core or a better gpu
but in macs 15" and 17" the only diffenence is the screen and a usb port :rolleyes:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I travel weekly through airports in the West US. Carry my Lenovo T400 and my 17" MBP and a bunch of accessories (Kindle 2, files, etc). All fit perfect in my Tom Bihn Empire Builder. I use the Brain Cell for my MBP and just put my Lenovo in my bag naked.

It's easy to carry around and there is nothing out there that beats the 17" screen. Since the screen is the most important part of a laptop, I would never downgrade to the 15".

The 17" isn't the boat anchor most (non-owners) make it out to be. YMMV.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
The only reason I would buy the 15" over the 17" is for the portability. Fortunately the 17" isn't much bigger so it made no difference to me. I went for the 17". :)

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
17 mbp is smaller than other 17s

This is true. At least compared to my HP 17" my MBP 17" is smaller and much lighter. With the anti-glare screen I'd bet the 17" is lighter than the 15" with the glossy screen.... or at least pretty close in weight.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
well it is. if money was no option most would have loaded up 17s.

Nope. Could have afforded the 17 but didn't get it because it's too big. I travel too much for me to lug around the 17s while the 13s are just too small. 17s don't fit into many environmentally sealable cases, nor do they fit well in any of my bags.

Plus, aesthetically, the proportions always seemed wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.