Did you change carriers in order to purchase the i-phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nylcajeener, Dec 5, 2007.

1. nylcajeener macrumors newbie

Im doing a simple market research project for one of my classes so I need to find out the percentage of iphone owners who have switched cell phone carriers in order to purchase the i-phone.
    Please answer with yes or no. (Remember you must own the i-phone!)
    Thanks so much!! :)

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Yes, I did. FYI, so did two family members, one also to switch to an iPhone, and the third to be on our family plan, but not for an iPhone, though as a direct result of us switching.

EDIT: BTW, it's iPhone, not i-phone :)

3. mr.light macrumors 6502

No. But then we don't have the iPhone here in Canada. IF it does arrive here I will most likely switch to get it. ;)

4. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Yes, and many did.

I remember hearing last AT&T earning how many have supposedly switched carriers and bought the iPhone... therefore most likely switching carriers because of the iPhone. I would look in AT&t earnings report to get true fact data.

5. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Or you could just check AppleInsider ;)
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._iphone_buyers_are_switchers_to_att_firm.html

I'm sure there's more info you can find via Google too. The MR populate is probably skewed anyway...we're not exactly normal computer/Apple users.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I sold my Verizon plan / phone on CellTradeUSA and got the iPhone with ATT the first day it came out :)

7. motomullet macrumors member

yes. I dropped a line from my family plan to get AT&T

8. JRomero macrumors regular

JRomero

I switched carriers for the iPhone. Before I got the iPhone, I was on T-Mobile, but when I got the iPhone, I just let my parents have my old T-Mobile phone. :cool:

9. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Yes, my girlfriend and I did. This is not anywhere near a statistically rigorous survery thought; the self-selection implied by being on this board, reading this forum, reading this question and choosing to answer it makes any analysis of the data you're collecting completely arbitrary.

No offense intended.

-RS

10. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

1.I went to apple store and get the iphone
    2.I use SimFree application.....

11. hidehide macrumors 6502

Nope. I stay with T-mobile. And T-mobile has better reception in my home, price of the plan are similar, but not contracts. :)

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Our family has four iPhones (including myself) and all four of us came from one of the other big three carriers. I was pretty satisfied with my T-Mobile service, but I'm significantly more satisfied with my iPhone.

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Sure did. Paid the termination and never looked back!

AT&T has been a pleasant experience and I loved the international roaming never available through Verizon.

15. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Verizon had international roaming; it was just only available on their rare hybrid 900/1800 GSM and 800/1900 CDMA phones.

16. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I recently switched to AT&T from Alltel. I loved my Alltel service and if I could have had the iPhone and Alltel I would have stayed. But I wanted the iPhone, like I do all Apple products. I paid the $200 cancelation fee aswell. So yes, I switched to AT&T for the iPhone.

17. nylcajeener thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I understand that, hence the term "simple." Basically, I just have to conduct primary research, so I have extended it to this forum I came across. Thank you though.

18. snook911 macrumors 6502a

well kinda I was with t-mobile inthe family plan with my wife. My line is still active with them I just don't use it anymore and I dropped my wives plan way back since she can now use all the minutes.

19. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Yes I did. From Vodafone to O2. Much to Vodafones displeasure... they called me around 10 times in the space of a week to try convince me to come back to their network.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Changed from Orange to O2. I prefer Orange for a number of important reasons, but I prefer O2 because it supports my iPhone. It's nice to know that my warranty is valid and that I needn't worry about having Apple brick me.

21. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

No. But I was not an O2 customer either... This is my first mobile (or cell) phone.

I've been waiting for the right combination of features to appear in a mobile device - and Apple got there first. Oh - and I also get a phone and an iPod out of the deal :D

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

23. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

No, I have been an AT&T Mobility/Cingular Wireless/Bellsouth Mobility customer since back in the Bellsouth Mobility days. I have had no reason to change.

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yup yup, contract with Verizon was up in May, iPhone came out in June... :D

25. forrestmc4 macrumors regular