Did you commit fraud when you bought car insurance?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/car-insurance-premiums-fraud/
    yeah, just like putting every one on HC lowered our insurance :rolleyes:

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. Macky-Mac, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

my HC insurance was lowered.......all of $9 :p

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hey I'm an honest driver. Long story short, got hit from behind at a stop light a month ago, and book value of my car is $900 less than repair cost so I get a small cheque instead of my car back. I was not at fault, and yet there's no advocate for me or negotiation. If they actually were interested in customer satisfaction I'd bet they'd get a lot more support. It's a lose - lose situation.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This part stuck out to me as ********... at least for AZ drivers.

In AZ you can only take the diversion class once every 18 months and the fine is the cost of the ticket plus the class costs, and the class is 8 hours, not 20 minutes.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's you. You're the advocate for you, and you should negotiate.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

This.
    You have the right to argue your case.
    I got rearended a few years ago and the other drivers insurance only wanted to pay for repairs on my car.
    I argued that even repaired, the value of my car is now diminished further due to the accident, repaired or not.
    I went so far as to pull book value on my car's make and model and mileage and compared those with car's with a reported accident on a CarFax report and without. The average difference in value was nearly $8k.
    That's when I stated I was willing to go to court over it and pursue attorney fees as well as the loss in value. A case of diminished value is a slam dunk if you do your home work.
    We ended up negotiating a deal that I was happy with. Still have the car.

8. Raid, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

&
    I have attempted to negotiate, but factually there's not a lot of room. Basically the car is now 17yrs old, with 280,000Kms (~=174,000 miles) the cost of repair is $4,980 the current offer stands at $4,000 to walk away. If I want to fix the car myself they are only offering $3,000 and will put a salvage claim on my car requiring a $500 or so safety check to get it back on the road. I had offered to pay the $500 deductible (though I don't have to with this no-fault claim) if they covered the repairs. I do recognize this means they'd pay an extra $1,400 more (less cost of parting my car out) but I thought this was better than going to arbitration.

The real rub is, that as of Aug 1st there were only 7 listings for same make, model, body type, and year on autotrader. My Kms were somewhat in the middle of the road but the two closest comparable cars were priced at $3,750 and $3,200 so I can't really argue a higher amount based on that. So I went to my dealership that's done all the maintenance on the car... basically the guy recognized the good condition of the car but said kms were key in the valuation and $4,000 was "in the right ball park". Still not happy about it as the car has more utility than the $4K and (maybe rational may be not) less risk than me buying a used car for $4K.

Oh did I mention they are taking away my rental car tonight and I'm going away for two weeks? <-That's not going to speed anything up or make things easier.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

So, it sounds like you can buy the same make and model with approximately the same miles for the amount of money they are offering you. Your research on Autotrader and the dealership confirms this. How is that a lose-lose situation?

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I know my car, I've put at least 98% of those kms on it, I know it's been well maintained and when not in use it has been in a warm, dry basement garage for the last 12 years.

11. Zenithal Suspended

I skimmed the article but vaguely knew what it was referring to. Insurance and state laws will often clash at what's required to be reported. In 99.9% of lovetap cases, nothing is wrong. Worst case, a sensor may need to be replaced. Presume it be around 50-60 USD excluding labor. For VAG vehicles, they share sensors across the board, the labor cost is different, obviously. The car insurance lobby has pretty much single handily dictated the laws on vehicular incidents wherein another vehicle is damaged or if property is damaged or if the owner inflicted damaged themselves or if it was vandalism. Suffice to say, insurance would rather you report everything and not be able to attend driver reduction days to avoid points on your license.

In regard to location, they'd love to be able to charge you more if your parked just outside your garage or in the street vs inside your garage.

12. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Nope. My agent is a good friend who knows where I live and how many drivers are in the family. :)

13. Zenithal Suspended

Well it's good to know your anecdotal experience debunks the basis of the insurance lobby! We can all celebrate now.

Drinks on JK.