Did you create your own icon for your app or did you hire someone?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jdog82, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jdog82 macrumors member

jdog82

To the mods I hope this is the right place for this thread and if not I am sorry in advanced....

I need to create the icons for my iPhone app. Wanted to know what are the different sizes and etc I need for the appstore, home screen etc or just a link. And does anyone know where to go if I was trying to hire someone to create them for me? Did most people do there own? Thanks.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am going on a limb here....

If one can make an app, they better know how to make an icon. If they can't make an icon, I won't have much confidence for the app itself lol

3. alexandergre macrumors member

alexandergre

Agreed.
    Im not really a code guy. More into graphics and UI.
    If you want I can make an icon for you. just Credit my homepage in your about box. default size is 57x57

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Seems like a thin limb to me. Just because you have the skills to put together an app does not mean you have the skills to create any requisite graphics. Those can be kinda different skill sets.

As to jdog82's OP, there is help in the iPhone Application Programming Guide or the iPhone HIG, and even in iTunes Connect as to what Apple is expecting for an icon. For example, you'll also need a 512x512px version for the App Store. I suspect most people roll their own, but if you are not comfortable with that, it definitely behooves you to hire someone to do it, or find a willing volunteer. Unfortunately, due to the forum rules, you are not permitted to post job offers on these forums.

5. jdog82 thread starter macrumors member

jdog82

great

Dejo Thanks. And your right I just suck at graphics and all that stuff. My app which is bascally finished is a port of Kenta Cho's Tumiki Fighters. I would post a vid so I can get some critiques on what to improve but I want to find exactly where to post that at. Thanks for the direction.

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Making an icon is easy. Designing a nice looking one is not, nor is it cheap :)

7. mccannmarc macrumors 6502

mccannmarc

In our older apps we created our own icons as our apps were nice looking anyway, screenshots made a nice icon.

In our latest game we have hired an artist for the game art as well as the icon(s) & promo material, basically because we suck at art.

8. firewood macrumors 604

For my good icons, I hired a professional artist. I did a couple of icons myself for my cheap apps using Gimp, and it shows.

Not all artists and designers know how to make a good iPhone icon. Make sure to check their portfolio. Ask them which icons in the App store they like and can do, and make sure that their style matches both your tastes, and the look of apps that sell well and get featured.

And that's why there are a lot of really ugly icons in the store.

imho

9. mccannmarc macrumors 6502

mccannmarc

There are also a lot of really crappy apps too by really crappy developers so that is to be expected to be honest!

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Being able to design and code a good app and design and create a good looking icon are two totally different skills.

Unless you just mean that the developer should have the technical skills needed to create an icon, as opposed to the artistic and technical skills needed to create a good icon.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I realize that design and coding are 2 way different skillsets.

My impression was that the op didnt even know how to make any sort of icon....the part I bolded below gave that impression

12. jdog82 thread starter macrumors member

jdog82

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, understood. Thanks for clarifying that.

14. harry65 macrumors member

So, how exactly would one make an icon? I saw above someone mentioned using gimp, and someone mentioned taking a screenshot. Are there other tools that could be used?

If you use gimp, I assume you just create a picture and save it as a .png and resize it accordingly. Similarly for a screenshot. Is that correct?

Thanks.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Tons. Any graphics editing software (a la Photoshop or Illustrator) can be used. As for screenshots, very few iPhone apps use screenshots as their icon. Screenshots just don't tend to lend themselves to the highly-reduced detail of the 57x57px icon.

16. mccannmarc macrumors 6502

mccannmarc

WHS, the screenhots I mentioned were from our iBinaryClock and iBinaryClock Lite applications which basically are a bunch of circles hence why we were able to use them as icons. Besides simple UI's like those though screenshots generally wont work, you will need a proper custom drawn icon