Did you decide against mini because of no retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Oct 23, 2012.

?

Did you decide against an ipad mini because of no retina?

1. Yes, I was going to get an iPad mini, but changed my mind because of no retina

97 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. I was going to get an iPad mini, but I changed my mind for another reason

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. I was never going to get an ipad mini

40 vote(s)
    16.6%
  4. I was planning on getting an ipad mini and still am

78 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I decided against the Mini because it's a bad deal. Why would I want to pay a premium price for outdated hardware? The Nexus 7 with 32GB is a far better deal.

3. Scott2345 macrumors regular

was gonna get a 16gb mini but now im gonna get a refurb iPad 3 for just 50 bucks more, with a retina display.

4. geoff2005 macrumors member

no because i will primarily use it to read comics so i need a bigger screen

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Just did the same thing. Ordered two refurb 32GB iPad 3's. The new design of the iPad Mini is great but its hardware specs, especially the low res display, is disappointing and in no way competes with an iPad 3 for only $50 more.

6. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

How there isn't even apps to take advantage of the nexus 7 most are blow up phone apps trust you'll be disappointed

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

iPad mini with retina display would have required to A5X processor. And the big ass battery that goes along with it. And the cost.

Besides, the 1024x768 screens are easy to manufacture these days, so the likelihood of uneven backlights or "yellow" screens should go down. Plus they are power efficient, allowing the very thin design (compared to iPad 3/4). And at 7.9", likely have high enough PPI that most people will be satisfied.

----------

Agreed. And I have a nexus 7. And I'll be buying an iPad mini.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Decided not to get it. It'll be a downgrade from my iPad 3. I barely use my iPad 3, so buying the Mini would be a waste of money.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

For us that work in pharmaceuticals, doctors will love it. Fits in our coat pockets.

10. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

And that would be fine if Apple priced the iPad Mini at $269-$299 instead of $329 to account for the fact they're using a 2 year old processor and display. A 32GB iPad Mini will be $429 and right now you can get a refurb (likely brand new stock) 32GB iPad 3 with A5X and superior retina display for just $40 more.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

$299 would have been a better price, I agree. But it's just a $30 difference.

12. xraytech macrumors 68020

13. sineplex macrumors 6502

i like the form factor of the ipad mini. but will not buy.

why? the cpu and ram.

i'm not going back to an ipad2 with less ram thus checkerboarding and haveing to reload tabs if you have anymore than a few pages loaded.

no thanks.

should'a A5x'd it, and 1GB ram'd it. at the very least....
    or dropped the price.

14. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

The checkered Safari that's right! I hated that on ipad 2

15. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

No, I never expected it to have a Retina display. What WOULD make me decide against it would have been if it had a retina display and cost $429.

----------

I just don't understand all of these complaints. In reality the smaller size doesn't necessarily make it cheaper to produce. Sure it has inferior components, but its still $70 less than the inferior iPad2 (or the iPad 3 if that replaces it at this price point), which is significant. Its all about size. Some people, like myself, simply do not want a 9" tablet. I'm willing to pay a small premium (and in reality, I'm saving a lot of money) for the choice of two sizes. I'm positive apple WANTED to sell this for $299, the price would have looked so nice next to the $399 and $499 iPads. But obviously, they could not further compromise quality to meet the price point. If they used even more inferior parts to bring it down to $299, everyone would complain that it isn't powerful enough!

16. Russiaone macrumors 6502

I disagree with this post.

Having owned a Nexus 7 now for a few months I can tell ya it's a fantastic tablet. True, there aren't a tremendous amount of tablet-specific apps for it, but that takes time, especially considering we're talking a 7 inch design.

Anyway, the Google Play store is improving everyday. Hell, the App Store wasn't the behemoth it is now from day one.

So I say the better screen resolution, beefier specs, space and price, is a good trade-off.

17. Xanthos macrumors member

Still pondering over it.

I would have ordered it instantly if it's running at least an A5x. I never expected the mini to have retina anyway.

18. Red05 macrumors newbie

Before today I figured there was about a 25% chance I would get a mini. I was planning to take a look at it in the store when released and make a decision. But now, after leaning what we've learned, there is now a 0% chance I get a mini. Once they release the mini2 with retina in April, I'll probably go back to the 25% chance benchmark.

However, there's about a 75% chance I get the iPad4, but that is completely independent of the mini.

19. Seiga macrumors regular

This.

And I should note that there is a wonderful cnet article with fact checking on Phil's comparisons between the 2 devices.

http://cnet.co/TS2Ctt

20. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No retina no buy for me, but it still have more pixels than the ipad 2 due to the smaller size!

21. geek36 macrumors member

i dont really care about the retina display. what i do care is about the screen size of the mini which perfectly fits my needs.

22. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I wasn't planning on getting the mini either way, but if I had the money/needed a new iPad, I think the lack of retina display would turn me away.

I know it's impractical with the size and price (because I'm sure putting a retina display on the mini would require a price of at LEAST $429), but after getting used to the retina display on the iPhone as well as on the iPad 3, I don't think I could go back to the old display with my iDevices. I would use the mini primarily for reading, and I don't think I could do that for a long period of time without the retina display.

23. iEvolution macrumors 65816

The retina display isn't the big turn off its the fact that it has a $80 premium over the competition that offers much more.

Nexus 7 32GB is reported to being going on sale at $250, it also has a better processor, better screen and double the capacity for $80 cheaper.

Sticking it with the A5 is also underwhelming but I suppose the larger one had to hold something over the smaller one.

24. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

i was never going to buy an Ipad mini because it was just simply stupid!!!.

Apple no longer leader.

25. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Too $$$$

I wasn't going to get one at all. And I certainly wouldn't hand apple $329.00 for such a low-spec'd machine, basically iPad2 guts with a smaller screen.

$249.00 would have been more appropriate, and would probably have helped them sell more. At that price, they won't sell as much as they were expecting.

A lot of things they have been doing lately have been coming off as rather greedy. $29.00 adapter anyone?