Did you ever feel this way about your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yaboze, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I just want to say I love my iPhone and have had several, starting with the 3G.

Back then, not many people had them and we only had AT&T. Some say it was a status symbol of some sort, but I just liked the integration with the other Apple products I had at the time. There was no other phone like it, touch screen, the apps, etc.

Anyway, it seems that everyone has a iPhone now and it almost seems too common or ordinary.

I was picking up my son from school and the parents were waiting outside. A mother was there with her early teens daughter who had a white iPhone 4S with a pink bumper. I was like ugh, I need to get a new phone. I wouldn't pay $80 a month for my kid to text and use Facebook.

2. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

So you want an obscure phone to look cool and different? ok, my friend has a Palm Pre for sale, buy that and sell your iPhone.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

"Yeah man, iPhones are way too mainstream. So I'll get a different phone and throw this one ON THE GROUND. I AIN'T A PART OF IT'S SYSTEM!!!"

[​IMG]

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

If you want to be cool, unlike those tweens with pink bumpered iPhones, go retro. Get one of these....

CellPhoneBrick.jpg

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm used to kids making these kinds of threads.:)

6. mouthster macrumors regular

I hear the priveldged elite are communicating through telepathy now..

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Nope I don't really care who has an iPhone. Just use your damn phone and stop worrying about what other people have.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should buy a Ferrari or a rare Lamborghini so you can be one of the very few in the world that has one.
    You purchased the most popular smartphone on the market so to see others having one too it makes sense.
    If it wasnt good then that many people wouldnt buy it.
    If you want it as a fashion or status statement then invest in something like I mentioned above or a very expensive Rollex etc....
    Its just a phone.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It became really common here while I owned one, but that didn't make me want to sell it. If anything it was nice because I could be sure to get access to a charger almost anywhere. And local apps came to iOS first.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

^^ This. My cell phone isn't a status symbol for me anymore. It's a tool I use to get things done. If it works well for others and they use it too, great.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This isn't meant as an insult, but there are plenty of people out there with money. $80 a month (though I know not where that number came from because an add-a-line can be had for $10 + a $15 basic data plan) isn;t much for some people. Take a look at mom's car. Was it a beamer or a merc? Are you driving a corolla? If you put things into context, they start to make a whole lot more sense, I think.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So you jumped on the bandwagon late, thought you would be super cool having a phone that's only on one carrier then slowly slid into depression when you realized that other people might be as shallow as you? Nope, that's never happened to me. On the other hand, I feel like having kids is one of the most common, ordinary things that one can do, yet people continually show off and think theirs is the best while massively overpaying for it.

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

A phone is a tool. I do homework on my phone, I take notes on it, I use it as a camera, I look up bus times etc etc.

I'm not complaining when Barry next door gets the newest DeWalt jigsaw now, am I? :p
    Don't get bogged down in the whole status symbol thing. If you want to be different, get something else. But there may just be a reason why everyone has an iPhone nowadays.

14. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

15. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Was the mother hot?

16. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

I know what you're saying and my girlfriend was telling me I only wanted an iPhone because everyone else has one but really I wanted one to get away from Android and try something new. I'm glad I did and it really doesn't bother me that a lot of people have an iPhone. It shouldn't bother you neither if it gets the things done that you want it to. A cellphone is a cellphone no matter what it looks like.

17. Yaboze, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

Yaboze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I should have known better posting this here. I set myself up for the idiotic replies here.

1. I said I liked the phone, never said it wasn't doing what I wanted.
    2. I never said it bothered me, just meant it was too common. Before it was popular and only on AT&T people had different phones, now everyone has the same phone. It's kind of like when everyone had a Blackberry before 2007.
    3. I never said I wanted it as a status symbol, I said "Some say it is".
    4. I don't drive a corolla, the mother didn't drive a Mercedes or similar car and she wasn't hot.
    5. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be like everyone else. If you had an iPhone in 2007 you were not like everyone else, these days I don't see any other phone being used, regardless of the age of the person and whether they can afford it or not.

I don't even know why I come here. Mods censor posts, etc.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You set yourself up for criticism by publicly proclaiming how shallow you are. You really don't get to complain now.

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I like seeing people with iPhones, I never considered it a measure of status. Where I live there's a little unofficial "team iPhone" and "team Blackberry" so I like seeing people with iPhones, and it's nice to talk to others about apps (also potentially something easy to find that you have in common if youve just met someone).

I do agree that I think some kids are getting expensive phones at an age that I'd consider too young, but I have a little sister and I think kids are generally more spoiled these days.

20. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I hate when people use the iPhone as a status of wealth, luxury, etc..
    Quality>Quantity

21. DroidRules, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

I'm not so pathetic that I put my self worth on items that I own so no, I have never felt this way.
    order?
    Unfortunately this person says they were picking up a child from school.... hate to see the values the child is being taught.

Wow, you post crying how you're not cool anymore because you don't have the only iPhone made and you call our responses idiotic?

22. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

You're on a Apple fan forum on an iPhone sub-forum, what do you expect?..

23. Yaboze thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I think we have a reading comprehension issue here.

I never said I thought of the iPhone has a status thing, I said I liked it because of the integration. My goodness. Reading FTW.

This isn't about being shallow, or needing therapy.

If everyone drove a Honda Civic, the roads would be pretty boring with everyone having the same car.

My point was that everyone has an iPhone, even "kids" that couldn't even afford a data plan. You all must be kids that fit this profile.

I'm not going to give my kid a $300 phone because it's "cool" with an $80 a month fee. Kids are very spoiled these days. I am going teach them with hard work they can get stuff like an iPad or iPhone. I'm not going to just hand it to them. They have to work for it. I should have known better when dealing with the "I'm entitled" generation we have here.

You guys have totally missed the point of my thread and turned everything I said around or fed on other posts. Read my original post, I never said I used it as a status symbol. I didn't even slam the phone, but maybe I am slamming it's popularity.

Maybe all of you should question why you have one? It certainly isn't the best phone on the market or the cheapest, so maybe you see it as status symbol but don't want to admit it. Would you use it still if it didn't have an Apple on the back?

I'm saying maybe I am getting a little bored of the iPhone (see the Android threads here) and want something different that every other single person has as well.

This is is my last word on the subject.

24. bwrairen macrumors 6502

And how do you know this teenaged girl didn't work and pay for the phone herself? My 15 year old son did, and pays $40 of his bill every month. We're on straight talk....I pay the other $8.

25. stevemiller macrumors 68000

so you've essentially stated that you liked having something that most people don't, and that you turn your nose up at the thought of having something that is too common. you also called everyone who disagreed with you here an idiot.

i'd say you sound rude and self-absorbed, but why waste words trying to make you feel bad, since either way you're stuck with the self-imposed misery of having all your favourite things in life ruined when they become available to the idiot commoners that surround you. :D