Did you give up your Unlimited Data for Tethering or Mobile Hot Spot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am thinking of moving to the 2GB Pro plan with 2 GB of Mobile Hot Spot for $45 per month. Right now I have the unlimted data plan for $30 but I find I need Hot Spot every so often and AT&T said if I get it that puts me in the 2GB plan.

I use less than 1.2 GB per month never went over 2 GB so I am thinking it might work out ok for me, just wondering if anyone has done the same, as I think AT&T will phase out Unlimited Data soon anyway.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Nope. Jailbreak + MyWi. Until I get a notice to stop anyway -crosses fingers-

I just renewed my contract in June so I'll have my Unlimited for at least another 2 years.

Besides I don't think there's a 2GB tethering plan. I know there's a 4GB one for $45 on their website.

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I did this just last month. I really liked the idea of being on the unlimited data plan but my actual data usage wasn't all that high. I found that I wanted the convenience of using my iPhone as a hotspot (even over a MiFi I have on a separate data plan) so I added tethering to my iPhone plan. So far, so good and no real regrets at all.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I get unlimited data and personal hotspot for only £15 ($23) a month... :cool:

5. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

This is the Route I was thinking about as I know there is no tethering plan for 2GB so I have to get the 2GB pro package in order to get the entire 4GB Pro plus tethering plan. What kills me is I am going from Unlimted for $30 to 4GB with tethering for $45 ouch that hurts.

I am not JB'n so not an option besides I heard it was not that stable when you JB.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I was able to snag the unlimited from Verizon so I don't have to give up my hotspot for it. However, in looking at my data use for the 2wks I've had the phone, I'm not so sure I'd give up the unlimited.

I have no clue what is eating it, but with what I'd call "light" use I've used 861 MB. No streaming except for 45 minutes of NASA for the launch and yesterday my DD did 1 song from YouTube. Heck, I think I've only opened 3 webpages on it! Wayyyy over what my iPad used.

Tether data is only 36.8 MB.... Which sounds right for what hasn't passed thru it.

I think it is crappy that ATT did this this way (and i was a victim, I had unlimited on my iPad and culd have used tethering on it). My gut says everyone's data use I'll only go up in the coming year, not down or level...

7. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

My wife bought a Verizon 2200 mifi for first gen iPhone without data plan (when AT&T allowed it). She needed data when she got into Facebook...lol. Well since then... she upgraded her iPhone with a AT&T data plan, and I took her mifi, and upgraded her 2200 to the Verizon 4G LTE. I currently have unlimited with AT&T, and keeping it since my job pays for all my data. With my iPhone and mifi data combined, I am mostly under 4 gigs/mo... but I have gone over 4 gigs on my mifi alone. I think using the AT&T data + tethering plan will work fine for me, but I think I will be close to the 4 gig limit near the end of the cycle. I don't want to keep checking data usage, so I'm very hesitant to do the AT&T data + tethering route. It is likely that data usage can increase as new apps that uses data are developed. Just something to consider as you make your decision.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

You could try getting a mifi from someone like virgin on pre pay, just pay for data when you do need it, and keep your unlimited plan.

9. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

I did. I rarely go over 3 GB per month. Even with tethering.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

No way would I choose to pay more for limited data.

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I use my iPhone as my laptop replacement (since I'm not a gamer / photo editor) so I never have to worry about losing my unlimited.

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If I could pay $30/month for 2GB+hotspot then yes, $45/month for 4, no way.

I find that when I do use PDANet (VERY rarely) I'm usually in cities so I end up getting crap speeds anyway, so I'd be VERY disappointed if I was paying $20 for the privilege.

13. DKTacts macrumors member

I wouldn't do that - I've been tethering my unlimited data iphone using PDAnet and though I've been surprised at how little data I still consume, I just enjoy the comfort of having "unlimited" data.

14. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Why don't you consider Jailbreaking + TetherMe? TetherMe allows you to use the built in Mobile Hot Spot function.

15. spooky69 macrumors member

Jailbreak?

16. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Wow which provider is that? 3?

17. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I believe that most countries outside the USA have better rate plans.

18. Reaper0bot0 macrumors regular

I've got unlimited LTE on my Thunderbolt and unlimited mobile hotspot, legitimately. I do miss my iPhone sometimes, but man can I get things done with this setup.

And I'll be happy to put my SIM into an LTE iPhone if given the chance, but I'd rather lock these features in now.

19. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

jailbreak + tetherMe and MyWi on my unlimited plan.

I mostly use the MyWi on Demand to tether to my iPad via bluetooth

no way im downgrading my plan to pay more