Did you have to buy a new MagSafe Power Adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by suttondesign, Apr 17, 2009.

1. suttondesign macrumors newbie

If your MagSafe power adapter failed and the Apple Store or an authorized repair provider refused to replace it because your machine was not in the warranty period, I'd like to discuss it with you -- I'm investigating this problem.
    Please email me at designer0529@suttondesign.com. I'm particularly interested to talk to people who had to shell out $80 for a new adapter, and even more interested if you did that, and the next one failed too! This is not a scam -- I'm really pursuing this.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

What type of resolution are you looking for on this? If it's out of warranty, it's out of warranty, right?

3. o2xygen macrumors regular

If your saying that your magsafe failed, and the new one failed then it sounds like something else internally. I thought my magsafe was busted when my macbook stopped charging, turned out that in the internal magsafe connector (or something like that) was busted.

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

mine was replaced for free when it started melting a few months out of warranty

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm curious, what are you trying to determine? Like someone stated, if you get two bad adaptors, that's highly doubtful, you might want to start looking at something on your end.

6. suttondesign thread starter macrumors newbie

More on bad adapters

I haven't had two adapters break, just the one, but I've heard of those who've had them break serially. I'm interested to know if someone has had one break out of warranty and had Apple (store or otherwise) tell them, too bad, buy a new one. My local Apple Store told me too bad -- it's a "consumable" -- even though Apple has a program where Apple states that even if the machine is out of warranty, there's a free replacement adapter.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not a "consumable" but also I'm not familiar or even know of the program you speak of (checked the Apple website, there is no mention). I'm also not aware of any recalls or problems that affect MagSafe adaptors. If it's out of warranty, it's out of warranty. If you have problems or inquiries and if the Apple Store is not helpful, call up AppleCare and/or talk to CSR.

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

My warranty expired in December '07, but I went in to an Apple Store last month with my melted MagSafe and they replaced it for free.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's because it melted which is a safety hazard and Apple takes safety seriously. I'm interested to see what happened to the OP's MagSafe. If it was a frayed cable or something like that, that's just wear/tear and there is no argument, but if it's like melting or cable/adapter getting REALLY hot, that's something Apple will take care of no problem.

10. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Not very cool to learn that magsafes have been known to *melt* after a few years!

11. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713?viewlocale=en_US

Regarding the faulty adapters (according to Apple):
    Some additional info:

http://www.macblogz.com/2008/08/19/apple-offering-up-free-magsafe-adapter-replacements/

http://apcmag.com/apple_announces_magsafe_recall.htm

12. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

only if you yank them out by the cord all the time. i have a two year old magsafe connector here and its as good as new, thats because it doesnt get yanked by the cable.

the magnet is strong and the cable is not designed to pull the magnet off. you should always pull the block when removing it rather than killing your cable.

if apple used the macbook air style connector then i dont think that this would be an issue

13. suttondesign thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Store wouldn't replace

The Apple Store refused to replace my dead adapter -- I bought a new one b/c I was stuck. But on looking into it further, I saw that Apple does have a program, which states "whether in or out of warranty" they'll replace the adapter. I went back to the store with the program printout, and an ass't manager said to me "This happens all the time. Everyone thinks that's what that [program wording] means, but that's not what that means."
    They again refused to replace the Macbook magsafe adapter -- which they acknowledge didn't work -- b/c my machine was out of warranty.
    So, no matter what the program appears to say, your local store will tell you, that doesn't matter: no replacement. Because language is so tricky, is it not?