did you know: holes in the front grill of the G5 PowerMacs a...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Nermal said:
Interesting replies so far, because personally I think it looks horrible :eek:
Take a beautifully-designed piece of industrial design and stick little lights on it... you could even make them flash in time to your iTunes.

Saying that, why not hang some fluffy dice from the front handle? But I guess that would be stupid...

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
*explaining myself*

I didn't think that application looked good AT ALL.

I just thought that there could be (for future) something good to come out of it? I was mainly talking about the holes being the same size... I just thought if that was done on purpose or not...

kyle

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
You guys are cah-raaaaayyyzzeee. This looks awesome. Come Christmas time, my G5 will be stylin'.

Fishes,
narco.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Take a beautifully-designed piece of industrial design and stick little lights on it... you could even make them flash in time to your iTunes.

Saying that, why not hang some fluffy dice from the front handle? But I guess that would be stupid...
A bit like all them young puppies, lowering the arse outa their hatchbacks, stocking up on a set of low profiles, big alloys, slapping a fat exhaust on its rump and to top the cake a huge splattering of blue LEDs.

Taste is subjective, but sometimes you have to question whether gene pool diversity is a good thing. :)

Narco love your posts, but please get some therapy on this one, or at least take the lights down after Christmas :D

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
LED size

Standard size LEDs (3.5mm or 1/5th inch) don't fit. It's the smaller 2.5mm or 1/10th inch LEDs that will fit. Check the LED size before you purchase them.

-Aaron-

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Now, wouldn't it be better to just light the whole thing from behind and make it into a LiteBrite?

Still looks silly and detracts from the design - besides, don't you have a clock on the monitor?

D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Blue Velvet said:

Flashing in time to iTunes sounds great, especially if you could vary the colour of the lights, depending on the frequency of the notes. :D Back in the early 1970s, we had those lights that pulsed to the music. If I had a case like that, I wouldn't mind doing that from time-to-time.

The fuzzy/fluffy dice belong on a portable--not a desktop. :p

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
amusing indeed

now if there were just some really cool things to do to a PB 12"
or a 23" display then i'd be in business!

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
While I'm not a "trick out yo car" or "Stick LEDs to everything" 20 y.o. I do find it funny that the same people that diss on us my age group using LEDs, are the same people that raved about black lights and disco balls. I mean come on folks :D

~Tyler

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I think that's sick, it's even cooler cuz it's a damned clock. I agree the red looks kinda lame and white or blue would be better but ya gotta admit the application of a clock into the grill like that is cool.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
dornoforpyros said:
ya gotta admit the application of a clock into the grill like that is cool.
No, there's a clock in the taskbar ;)

Now a spectrum analyser hooked up to the audio out, that would be cool!

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
OK, I'm almost 30 and think this is pretty cool.

Not because of this particular application, but the possibilities. Think of some thing similar, but with white, flat faced LED's at a lower 'softer' brightness. Now imagine hooking that up to a USB port and displaying whatever the heck you want. CPU temp, HD temp, time, FPS, uptime, CPU speed, RAM usage, etc.

VERY COOL.

You know what though... A disco ball in a G5 would be pretty sweet. Maybe one of those little ones they sell for cars... Have a LED shine on it and bingo!

LOL! I may actually try the disco ball thing... (opens his G5 case)

:D :D :D

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
That is so hot!!!

So I can now tell time from any G5???

That was my lifes goal and now it has been achieved. :rolleyes:

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Casemods like this are a good idea...

The problem is to do it with taste, and people's sense of good taste varies.

I'm still waiting to see some nice MM casemods, and I'm pretty happy with my old G4 Cube LED mod (not a fan LED).

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Earendil said:
While I'm not a "trick out yo car" or "Stick LEDs to everything" 20 y.o. I do find it funny that the same people that diss on us my age group using LEDs, are the same people that raved about black lights and disco balls. I mean come on folks :D
Hey, blacklights are still cool :) Disco, um, no, not a cool thing...hehe :D