Did you know Joe Biden is Catholic?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thisisarcadia, May 10, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Some thing i find very disturbing! Because the fact that he's Catholic and Catholics have certain believes and values that they must uphold and protect. He hasn't said anything to Obama about the wrongness of some of the policies he's making! Is it just me or do other people see this too?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did you find the fact that JFK was Catholic just as worrying? Did it affect his job?

3. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

... and Mitch McConnell is a Baptist, Harry Reid is a Mormon, and Joe Lieberman is a Jew--they all have beliefs and values! :eek:

I even get your point (I think) that Biden is violating Catholic principles in some of the public policies he supports. So? That is between Biden and his priest, as far as I am concerned. I'm guessing none of us is a perfect embodiment of what our churches preach. What Biden owes me, a voter, is that he portray himself to me fairly during an election, and, once elected, that he does his best to represent the people who elected him (rather than his church).

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So what religion would you prefer him to be? btw you do realize we're a secular nation right? it may be true some of our laws dont represent that, like the whole gay marriage issue, but they are slowly changing to represent the diversity of americans. so if you have a problem with a catholic in office, i really dont know what to tell you. sucks for you.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes. I did know that Joe Biden is a Catholic.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To the OP- what bothers you? Is it that Biden is Catholic and doesn't force his beliefs on others through laws? Or is it simply that he's Catholic?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I find it disturbing that there would be any places on the top ten concerns with Joe Biden list that weren't filled by his logorrhea to be left in which to slot his religious beliefs... as long as he keeps his damn mouth shut, he can worship Satan for all I care. :eek: :D

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then I can only conclude that the OP is a theocrat, who doesn't believe in freedom for all.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But he's part of an oppressed super-majority, besieged on all sides by the miniscule forces of the secular humanists. So that makes it OK to legislate your particular Christian beliefs.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i wish the OP would return and more thoroughly explain his stance.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't hold your breath.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The classic right wing hit and run.

Although sh*t and run may be a more appropriate name for it, because they come here and post sh*t like this and run :D

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is very important that everyone in American politics could become King of England if needed :p (Yeah we need to get rid of that rule as currently if you are catholic you can't become King).

LOL.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup, I remember hearing this during the election(just that he was)..and it was brought about somewhere when it was mentioned how this was a big election, first black presidents, first roman catholic VP(not sure how big that is when compared to Obama's race and JFK's Catholicism as President, but it is a first)

Honestly, I don't care. From a mostly Roman Catholic family(although I'm an atheist), it really doesn't both me. It would bother me if he was like some roman catholics(some in my family) who think being gay is bad, but it doesn't seem Biden follow that idea(although he could do more to promote Gay rights, he's stance is still better then Bush&Co) Also he doesn't seem to be legalizing his belief system, so no worries there! And he and the Pope don't seem to be planning to run the world together, so I'm not concerned there either!

If anything diversity(even if its only among Xtians) of religion in government will have positive effects! More view points(And he didn't run on his religion, so it isn't a center issue)

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Yes I knew. I followed the election.

It is well known that he is at odds with some the Church's teachings. As are many Catholics.

17. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

The catholic church hardly differs from any other denomination of christianity.
    If you ask a random person what the difference is between the catholic church and any protestant church, i bet they won't be able to tell you accurately. that's because they really isn't any.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

19. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

I am catholic and to be honest if you believe in something and have beliefs you should stand by them not conform to the popular stance on something! Ya know? It goes back to the old saying if everyone was jumping off a bridge would you too. Sometimes you have to be different. And back to the JFK statement he stood by what he believe, he is the reason the invasion of cuba failed because he didnt believe in what was going on. All im saying is stick with what you believe in and stand up for it don't hide behind politics and power.

20. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

Catholics believe in Transubstantiation, Protestants don't! There are a lot of things that separate the 2!

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Is Biden doing this?

Perhaps you could be a little more specific on what Biden is doing that he shouldn't be.(as a Catholic)

(Also have you considered Biden views on Catholicism might be different then your own?)

22. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i dont stay on these forums all day! :p

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And if he is like the countless number of people that on paper are a religion but in life dont really care all that much?

I honestly cannot beleive this of all things is a problem for people here in god country :rolleyes:

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Imposing one's religious views on others through law is anti-American in the worst way. It's the opposite of what this country stands for. This is not a theocracy.

25. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Exactly.

Are you just now realizing this? It was hardly secret information. :rolleyes:

And just because he might (or might) not think some things are right for him personally doesn't mean that he presumes to think that he has the right or responsibility to make it the law. Regardless of the fact that some Bishops and others in the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church want to try to guilt or shame Catholic politicians into behaving that way.