Did you know the Moon was part of Mars?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Me neither. Btw these tweets are less than a month apart. o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the second tweet is due to something Trump saw on Fox Business a half an hour earlier.

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1137053706191605761?s=21
    Neil Cavuto: “NASA is refocusing on the moon, the next sort of quest, if you will, but didn't we do this moon thing quite a few decades ago?"

And just a few months ago the White House comms ship was releasing press statements like this:
    [​IMG]

2. raqball macrumors 68000

Someone, anyone needs to take the mans Twitter away or at least put him in timeout while POTUS...

3. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

In his defense, I think he meant the moon is part of the things they’re doing in space, but I may be giving him too much credit.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

So he saying NASA should not be focusing on the Moon but instead be focusing on Mars which also is focusing on the Moon? It’s incoherent drivel. He’s probably sitting on his bed in the residence watching cable news and then he vomits out whatever comes to his mind on Twitter.

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I will say this, What an idiot. Unless I’m reading his two tweets wrong.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

That's not what he's saying.
    He's saying that the moon is currently part of the focus, but we should focus on Mars. In other words, if we're already working on the bigger thing (Mars) there is no need to spend effort on the smaller thing (Moon).

That said, I disagree with his statement. Going back to the Moon is pivotal to test the systems required to go to Mars. A trip to the Moon is about 3 days, a trip to Mars is about 6 months; there are several challenges that will need to be addressed before we can go to such a long range.

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Like Mars should be the main focus, but they’re still doing stuff on the moon. I don’t know, he’s difficult to interpret.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Twitter is a symptom of a bigger problem with Trump. If you have a problem with his twitter feed and comments, it's hard to understand why some (not saying you specifically) act as if that's all there is to solve "Trump"

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

He doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. Again Whatever thought comes into his mind he just vomits out on Twitter whether it’s coherent or not, whether it contradicts a previous policy statement or not. Another example: initially he said he was going to place tariffs on Mexico because of the immigration crisis at the border. Now he’s saying tariffs are going to happen unless Mexico buys more Ag products from us. The guy doesn’t have one consistent bone in his body. He jumps from one thing to the next confusing the heck out of everyone including those who work for him.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---
    Obviously Twitter is just the method but it’s an easy and convenient method for him. There is no filter on Twitter. His MAGA supporters say it’s how he goes around the media to talk directly to the people. That’s the biggest bunch of BS I’ve ever heard. Trump posts on Twitter because that’s where the media and so-called elites are. And that’s who he wants to reach. He Tweets something and then CNN and every blue check mark spends all afternoon talking about it.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

When it comes to the space race, few people do. Truth is that this debate has been going on since forever and sadly each administration has massive ADHD about it. Von Braun tried to push for a follow-up of the Apollo in 1970's and after some studies and crap was set aside for the Space Shuttle, thus wasting two decades of space research. Bush Jr's Project Constellation was a total waste of money. Then Obama decided that NASA had to change and started SLS, but they kept changing it and is subject of much waste of money as indicated by the OIG due to mismanagement and awful setup.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Meh. Give NASA the military's budget. We should have had a moon base back in 1999 and have had a manned flight to Jupiter back in 2001.:p

At this pace, we won't develop warp drive technology until 2363 (300 late).:oops:

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Just wait until they find oil (aka mélange) on Arrakis...

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Well I suppose this flip flop isn’t much different than the general US GOVT flip flopping. And people wonder why commercial launch services are so much more efficient.

The point of NASA’s moon program was study colonization that could be applied to a Mars program. Mars is a lot further away than the moon. The Lunar Gateway (space station in lunar orbit) is supposed to study effects on humans in deep space and potentially serve as a waypoint to future missions (it was formerly called the Deep Space Gateway).

14. HappyIntro macrumors regular

HappyIntro

Pretty good summary, however I'd like to point out that while Obama did want NASA to change (due to Project Constellations massively inept management by NASA), his efforts to cancel the abomination that was the Ares 1 and V launch vehicles and Orion spacecraft were derailed by the pork machine that is Congress. So Congress created SLS and continued the Orion program as a jobs program to keep all those government contracts flowing money to key States and Aerospace companies (e.g., Boeing, Lockheed, etc.). So Obama tried to chart a better course for NASA, but Congress pays the bills and insisted that the wasteful pork spending keep flowing to the usual suspects. I give Obama credit for at least trying to improve the situation.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The plan is to use the moon as a stepping stone to Mars. Trump was merely using shorthand.

16. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ability to test the systems, landing modules, ECS, return modules, biological reactions to the new elements in the spaceship etc. at a short distance where if things go awry you need "just" three days to come back instead of six months.

19. LordVic macrumors 603

they went to the moon 50 some odd years ago and then gave up. We have no idea the viability of our crafts for long term space. Landing, taking off. Keeping people alive for longer periods of time on a ground based base needing to be self sufficient.

The moon is 3 days away and yet we didn't do anything more than a few landings and called it a day. Before we go to Mars, we need to prove we can do the things we need to in a "safer" and closer environment. Wouldn't it suck to build something, get it 6 months to Mars only to discover that there's a slight miscalculation and a fix will take 6 months to a year to get there...

skipping the moon is silly since we still aren't even capable of doin what we claim we want on Mars on the moon. So Trump is just being his typical stupid self with his twatter storm

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, in all fairness costs were outrageous, country didn't give a crap anymore already by the Apollo 12 (Apollo 13's message to the nation after launch was not broadcasted on TV due to lack of interest. The astronauts didn't know that the networks were broadcasting quiz shows so they recorded the message anyway), and ultimately there is absolutely nothing of use on the Moon.
    However yes, it's definitely needed as a test base for Mars.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Apollo was Kennedy's project so Nixon couldn't have that and the whole point of the moon was to beat the USSR, not so much on the exploration part.

Also it was a huge struggle to keep the whole program alive. It's romanticized now, but Apollo was nearly as controversial as the wall or any other program Trump floats.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...tten-opposition-to-the-apollo-program/262254/

I can't find a reference for it now, but the budget for Apollo BARELY passed Congress. So it doesn't come to a surprise( a disappointment sure) that the moment Apollo 11 happened, the government and public wasn't too keen to keep going.

But I am very much for going back to the moon. I do not like the why or the how per se( SLS is a freaking mess), but I can eat that if it actually does occur.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

He’s trying to impress someone. :rolleyes:

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

All that you say is true.Apollo was an expensive side job even for JFK... as far as I know the movie First Man is the only one that shows the political resistance to the program.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

IMHO, very damn worth every freaking penny. If you ask me how to spend $112 billion( over the programs lifetime), send people to the moon or a war/regime change/whatever foreign military boondoggle we want to get ourselves into, I choose moon please.

25. chown33 macrumors 604

We got Tang out of it, and Space Food Sticks, so I'm good.