Did you leave T-Mobile recently due to no iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Jan 30, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I tried to stay with T-Mo, but they wanted me to pay 4G price ($10/mo) for a EDGE speed (about 1/20 the bandwidth), on top of the phone subsidies in the monthly contact even though I would have to pay FULL price for an iPhone.

I talked to Tmo, even the, CMO Cole Brodman (Cole.Brodman@T-Mobile.com), but they did not give ANY concession to iPhone support (these days phone companies knows what phone you have, cannot cheat them).

It was funny how much the kept pleading with me to stay, but did not give me $1 less compared to what all its other customers with Android phones *with 4G* paid.

Beginning to think they are not really that concerned (outside of some "suggestions")...

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There are limited markets where the iPhone will indeed get 3G service on TMobile. I would think this is likely their reasoning. I went with the iPhone 3G and 3GS (for half of its cycle) without having actual 3G data with ATT within 250 miles of home. They were unwilling to do anything with the data plan. Their reasoning? I might travel...

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Being a T-mobile/ATT/and Verizon customer (yes I have all three carriers).

Let me tell you this.
    1. You can just purchase one of T-mobile's higher end phones (like the S2 which works on all WCDMA....cough cough works on both ATT/Tmobile 3G frequenceis.). Buy that phone. Shop around. You can find it for less than $200 on contract.

Sell it for $500 for $300 plus profit. Use that profit and buy an unlocked iPhone 4S for $650.

So you cost for an unlocked iphone 4S would be less than $350 (minus taxes etc/activation).

Buy buying an unlocked iphone 4S, that phone will have much higher resale value than a locked USA iphone.

Now lets get back to you T-mobile situation. T-mobile does not require a data plan IF you buy it off contract.

Now if you were to buy a S2 or any other subsidized phone on contract (T-mobile locks you into a required data plan of at least $10).

So assuming you are off contract, you are still saving $$$ by using an iPhone 4S on t-mobile's network.

If you want 3G access nationwide, than you are out of luck. You either stay with tmobile and go without data/EDGE or leave for another carrier.

But don't blame tmobile. Blame the Sprint/ATT/Verizon with the USA lobbyists who bribe the US Congressmen/women during the auction of the airwaves.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Nope. When I saw that the iPhone wasn't coming to T-Mobile in 2011, I just bought an HTC Radar 4G and I'm happy with it. If the next iPhone comes to T-Mobile, then I'll probably be switching to that. But for now I'll support the two underdogs (T-Mobile and Windows Phone).

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I switched from T-Mo to AT&T.

I'm in the minority, but I disliked their cell service (lots of areas I traveled to had no reception at all), disliked their pricing structure (I pay less with AT&T and get more) and disliked the way they treated me (CSR started yelling at me for saying that the previous CSR promised free shipping for something I had purchased via a phone order--I did not raise my voice or sound annoyed at all).

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I moved to AT&T for the 4s. T-Mobile has an awesome network but very bad smartphones in my opinion. I was with them for 7 years and was always happy until I got the Sensation 4G only to find out they have no 3G in my area. I was also very unhappy with their Galaxy S II variant as they took out the good processor. No one can beat their plans but if they don't get the next gen iPhone they are barely going to be able to keep their heads above water.

7. bdzer macrumors member

I just went and bought an unlocked iPhone 4S. :cool:

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

My wife and I just left TMO after 5 years for Verizon. We both wanted iPhones and I personally cannot stand an Android phone. Way too many issues.

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

In my opinion, I can't see spending $649-$849 on an unlocked phone and not be able to take full advantage of it. When I used T-Mobile EDGE on my HTC Sensation the best I got was 0.05Mbps and usually 0.01Mbps. I think it would be much wiser to buy the 3GS off contract and sign up with T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans.

10. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

I left Tmobile in 2010 after almost 7 years to go to AT&T. I was running unlocked iphones for almost 2 years with Tmobile but I wanted 3G speeds and i was always worried about the phones being accidentally upgraded and losing the unlock. Plus I would get a lot of dropped calls, even more than AT&T.

11. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was aware of this, but IMHO was not worth the effort. Too many variables to be sure of good results.