Did you rebel to society?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kabunaru, Jun 29, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

Of course I did (on most things). I don't really like today's society. I can't believe people live in a such brain-washed society where blonde-hair blue-eyes is considered pretty, where if you are not married you are frowned upon, where if you are a foreigner and look different you ought to be avoided (I had this experience), etc and the list goes on. I don't want society to control me and think what would be best for me. I could care less what society thinks of me and if other people think badly of me. I do my own thing and but still follow the law rules.
    What about you ladies and gentlemen? Who is with me on this?

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I rebel this new era of everyone should be equal. No one is equal- there are always people smarter, better looking, richer, funnier, whatever. We live in this society where everything is expected to be equal- like universal health care, etc etc etc. What ever happened to people working hard to achieve the benefits of life?

I don't want to rebel society too much, there are faults with it everywhere. But when I watch the news I try to be as open minded as possible. They put a spin on everything. Every week they have some big scare item. They media literally are terrorists. Lead in toys, popcorn causes cancer, this causes cancer, that causes cancer. Yea, lead is bad, but you are going to have to ingest a lot of toys to make yourself sick. Global warming is another one. I don't know if I can believe it or not. There is evidence that supports both sides of the story so I don't feel like I have the ability to make an educated decision. The cause of every problem is global warming and the only cause of global warming is us according to the media. The more the media talks about an issue, the worse it gets- global warming, gas prices, etc etc etc.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

My community's society is not as you describe. We don't care about race, religion, size of billfold or whatever. Good-hearted folks who carry their own share of the load are accepted and welcome.

Try to control our people? You might as well take up herding jackrabbits; that's easier.

'Rat

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well some of this is the attempt to give everyone the same opportunity, the same spot in the starting line. Universal healthcare is just one aspect of this, so is giving everyone the opportunity to go to college, but grades and the SAT will still matter.

The media's a pretty big group, some magazines and newspapers (even websites) do a very good job of reporting on issues without resorting to hysteria. Local news and nightly news, however, operate on a "something in your home may kill you and everyone you love. We'll be back in a minute" model.
    Scaring you so you'll stay through the commercial is a business model, but for transmitting information it's terrible.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I do. I was introduced to free thought during the 'Summer of Love'. We picked up two hippies hitchhiking, in Portland, OR. They were headed for Canada and we were going 20 miles north of Seattle. They were actually stopping in Seattle to score some acid in the 'U' District, and then partying at their pad for a couple days. We gave them our phone numbers and wished them well. I was surprised when I received a call from one of them (Joe), who invited us to the friend's house. We went over and I drove Joe to go score. He said I might like learning about the 'scene'. He was right, I did. The 'U' District, next to the U of WA, was completely alive. It almost seemed like a carnival. It seemed like every other store on 'the ave' was a head shop. Joe and I went into one and that is where he scored. It was interesting to watch. He also copped a couple 'lids of grass'. I just walked around the place in bewilderment. It was so cool. Joe had asked me if I wanted to drop the acid with him. I said, 'Yes, please'.

That day changed my life forever. It was not about getting high, it was about discovery. The next evening, we went to a small beach, and spent the nigh talking about anything, and everything. I realized I was trapped in such a narrow perspective about things. It was a product of conformity and grow intelligently. That evening, I began to appreciate my ability to think. All these years later, I protect nothing more dearly, than my individuality. If I were ever to lose it, I would 'shrivel on the vine'.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Coool Maaannn, that's far out! :p

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

The U-District is such a messed/weird place. Its bi-polar.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL. Are my eyes red? Actually that would be cool if this turned into a "what you did the first time you did ____ drug." thread.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Some of us didn't have any choice...

Growing up gay on the northern Great Plains in the US, wasn't exactly all that fun. The only way to keep from becoming an alcoholic was to rebel and get away. I shudder to think what would have happened had I stayed.

That said, rebellion comes with a price.

Erikcldr, in another thread, you spoke about your immigrant ancestors. What were they doing by emigrating if not rebelling? Some people can only vote with their feet. They sacrificed their customs, language perhaps religion as well as their family and friends. Only the brave are willing to challenge the status quo.

At any rate, rebellion has its place in the world but sometimes at the expense of becoming a pariah. I admire those who dare to buck the system.

Owning a Mac and dying your hair pink doesn't count by the way...

Just after I posted this, this article showed up on my RSS feed.

I think there are a lot of myths about '68 and rebellion in general.

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Sounds like you've confused equality with homogeneity...

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You obviously care enough to start a thread complaining about it (and it's "couldn't care less"). ;)

Lethal

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

As a blonde-haired blue-eyed guy, I think you're being a little too "I'm a rebel" for the kind of rebel you are. Thing that are rarer than other things (being tall, being naturally muscular, having blonde hair/blue eyes) are often looked at as more desirable. It's not some evil plot for brainwashing, it's a natural human instinct to value qualities that not many other people have. That's all superficial of course, as it doesn't really indicate personality or someone's value, but at least it's an explanation more so than just saying society is "brain-washed."

And what is this thread even about? I mean, what are you actually saying? You don't care what people think about you? It's always good to have a thick skin and everything, but one of the ways I try to be a better person is to gauge how people I value look at me. Again, wtf is this thread even about? Is it about declaring how you've been misunderstood by society and are really a victim of something instead of lacking initiative? I don't even know.

As a side note, I think it's interesting what everyone is saying in subsequent posts (SMM, Ugg, desertrat) is interesting, but this topic has me baffled.

13. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I have natural black hair, natural brown eyes and natural brown-olive skin. This is rare around where I live right now.
    Anyways, I posted this to see if other people rebelled too and what they say about it.

14. idyll macrumors 6502

Yeah, who doesn't :D

This is a Mac forum after all.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I (briefly) comment for two reasons:

1. The healthcare comment posted - as if that has anything to do with the topic - people can be different and still entitled to basic health care services.

2. I loved SMMs response.

As to the general question - I rebel towards some, I acquiesce towards others, and try to subvert the rest.

16. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I rebelled against rebellion. Rebels are all the same.

Ha, if you delibrately rebel you miss the point of being a free thinker. It is not about being different for the sake of being different, rather, it is just about being different. Full stop.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

by what you lot seem to define it as I do, but it's not an effort. I just do what I fancy.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't rebel.

My problem is that I don't like getting into trouble. When I was a young kid I used to be a right little s**t. Used to bite my grandparents legs, get into fights at school, be a bit of a bully. I suppose I was conditioned against being bad/rebel/whatever and in Junior school I turned into a right little geek :D

I don't even drink now, I've got a nice (practicing) Catholic girlfriend, I'm a nice chap IRL :eek:
    But a couple of days ago I did steal a flag handed out for a choral rendition of Rule Britania. Naughty naughty.

Actually I suppose by not drinking I'm rebelling against society, since it's considered the norm for over 18's to drink. Victory?

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think there might be many people in Ancient Egypt like that.

But looks? Well they didn't help me. I'm a blue eyed blond, naturally muscular, I feel I need to please people and be nice and all that. Does it help? Not really. I'm the only blond person around my friends, and if stats are anything to go by just 30% of people around here are naturally blond(e). And blue eyes are also very rare.

It's probably more to do with being rare. Rare things are sought after but it's all relative to where you live, and also the local culture (some prefer rarity and differences, some prefer the opposite entirely). Our culture seems to be more fashion based though, brunette seems to be "in" at the moment.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I rebel against inequity, but I choose how I define that word. ;)

21. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I am not that kind of person. I am just different.

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why rebel for the sake of rebelling? Why not just have principles and stand by them, regardless of what goes on around you? Adopting what you believe to be contrarian principles for the sake of being contrarian is a waste of everybody's time, and merits my summary judgement of moron.

Would I consider myself a rebel? No. Would most people consider me a rebel? No. Did I fall in line with the "engage in the idiocy that is expected of me while I am in my teens and 20s and then try to justify it after the fact" crowd? No.

Maybe I am a rebel.

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Man, I didn't realize that it was asking too much just to expect that in a society of such wealth we can provide everyone with the chance to be cared for when he/she is sick. I didn't know that that was a "prize" for hard work--seems more like that ought to be a basic attribute of society. And of course, there are positive externalities to society for providing for the general good. That's largely the point of having a country.

So you can rebel against the great horrors of providing people with healthcare, but you do it to the detriment of not only your fellow man, but yourself.