Did you reserve your iPad 2 at Best Buy on or after 3/15?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brayhite, Mar 28, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

If you did, do you happen to know what number reserve you are? I reserved the evening of 3/15, and after checking twice (after two shipments arrived), I've been told I'm number 56, then number 50. At first, I assumed the employee meant overall reserve number 56, but if post-2nd shipment I'm down to number 50, that tells me I was number 56 for that model, meaning around 60 reserved it up to 3/15. I don't know how popular that model is, but it doesn't seem to be THE most commonly bought iPad model using this forum as a gauge.

So I think it's safe to assume around 50 of each model were reserved, totaling 900 reserves, in the first 4 days after release. Is that unheard of? I guess since I don't live in a major metropolitan city nor around the most tech-savvy population, I assume not many people really care nor want to buy the iPad 2. Especially considering the closest major metropolitan city (Cincinnati) has four Best Buys and at least one Apple Store serving it's population.

And some people on this board who reserved on 3/14 or later have gotten their eagerly-waited for call already from BB which leads me to believe that the employees near my store are selling them to walk-ins before fulfilling their reserves. But I typically don't have the conspiracy-mindset and don't want to, therefore wanting to see what you guys have noticed.

Any thoughts?

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Seems like the whole "reserve your ipad" thing is very inconsistent. I didn't reserve one but I bought my iPad 2 (32gb, black, AT&T 3G) from Best Buy a few days after launch. I just walked in and within 10 minutes I had my iPad. They mentioned nothing about reserved units, which I thought was odd considering Best Buy only had 2 iPad 2s in stock when I got mine.

I purchased mine at a Best Buy near Dayton, OH (noticed you're in Cinci).

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I got my iPad on launch day qt Best Buy in Dayton Ohio but went in the other day to return my smart cover. They had about 60 reserved iPads behind the counter waiting for people to come pick them up. Next to th stacks was a ream of paper numbering at least 400 that were reserves. They might be holding out for your specific requested model.

4. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah the inconsistency is the frustrating thing. A friend went to the local BB last week and told me he saw iPad 2's in stock being sold, and heard people asking to reserve and BB employees told them not to bother, as they had just received some and would sell them. I thought he misheard but after going there again, it seems plausible at best.

And yeah, they may be holding out for my model, but it's still 900+ reserves at a BB in northern Kentucky. We aren't as redneck as the rest of the state, but we still have some overall catching up to do technology-speaking. Hence why I can't imagine the iPad 2 having 900+ reserves at a BB south of Cincinnati.

5. ymhanna macrumors newbie

I reserved at a Best Buy in northern Ohio the afternoon of the 15th, I was 3rd on the list for a black 64 wifi (I asked which device was the least popular so I could be higher on the list). I received my call on the 21st. Hopefully they will start receiving more shipments, and you will get yours soon.

6. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

This does nothing but support what I'm saying ha. I just think the Best Buy employee has no idea what she was talking about saying she thought I was 50 on the list after the second shipment. I can't imagine that many reserves being made for that particular model without some sketchy selling from the employees.

I wish that Best Buy forum member would reply to this ha, maybe he'd/she'd be able to add something to this situation. Part of me feels like I need to check in every day to insure I get it properly, but I don't want employees there recognizing me all of a sudden.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As has been shown on this forum, other sites, and my real life experiences.....there is little reason to take to heart what a BestBuy employee says

8. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I reserved mine that Monday, IIRC, and got the call the following Wednesday. I was 5th of five for a 32GB black ATT.

Not many people reserving iPads at my local Best Buy, but the one by work was crazy busy.

9. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I reserved mine in the morning of the 16th. Still no call and inventory checks online still sold out every day since then. I have no idea what place in line I am.

However the next closest stores did get them in stock and for sale to the general public so I guess their reserve orders were all filled? By time I went there to buy the one I wanted the model sold out.

10. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update on my situation: was told by BB employee that I "should be called real soon" as my model (black 64 GB Wi-fi only) wasn't a highly reserved one and should be in soon.

Well that was last Monday. Still waiting.

Anyone else still waiting?