Did you see any improvement with peer-to-peer AirPlay over 'normal' AirPlay?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ggvfvgbffbf, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Ggvfvgbffbf, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015

Ggvfvgbffbf macrumors member

So I have an ATV 3, the first edition, which doesn't support the Bluetooth / peer to peer AirPlay that was introduced with iOS 8.

I made a thread recently about the poor performance I was getting when audio streaming using 'normal' AirPlay: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1856141

I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed any improvement in performance when using the peer to peer AirPlay? Obviously if the iDevice is connecting directly to the Apple TV it cuts out having to send the data backwards and forwards via the router and should help.

So... Just wondering if anyone has any real world experience of this? Did streaming improve or become more reliable or was there little difference?

Thanks.

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

i didnt even know that feature existed. I have installed over 20 Apple TV's over the last year and had no clue :D

Id be interested in the same thing as you though

3. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

We have about 100 Apple TVs on our wireless LAN at the school where I work. At any given time, they will disappear from the AirPlay list on clients. They frequently disconnect in the middle of the teacher showing something, leading to a huge amount of frustration directed at my department. When I began taking some off of the LAN and just letting the teacher connect via p2p airplay, things seemed to get much better on this front. Far fewer random disconnects, and no more disappearing units.

In most home scenarios, you wouldn't remove the Apple TV from your lan... so YMMV. According to Apple's developer documentation, when p2p airplay is available, it is always preferred. Unfortunately, there's not really a way to verify that it is in fact using it.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Did you see any improvement with peer-to-peer AirPlay over 'normal' AirPlay?

I am a teacher who used a 2012 atv and upgraded to a 2013 atv recently.

Note that I didn't have issues with the 2012 atv prior to iOS 7. It was the update that somehow made airplay more unstable and make it not play nice with my router. :(

From my experience, peer to peer airplay seems more stable and reliable overall. My iOS devices and Macbook are able to locate my atv and mirror to it more quickly. Dropouts and disconnects are much less frequent. Streaming video and audio has been rock solid.

Overall, everything seems more stable and responsive.

5. pn247 macrumors newbie

Certainly seems more reliable now p2p is available.

I have an A1427 original ATV3 and an A1469 later ATV3. P2p AirPlay is only supported on the A1469 and it performs so much better I have swapped them over so the A1469 is now in the lounge where I use it most.

The older has been relegated to the bedroom.
    The added ability to have friends AirPlay using p2p without them being on my wireless network is great too :)

6. Ggvfvgbffbf thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Looks as tho it makes a noticeable improvement judging by the replies so far. It makes sense that it would, but it's great to hear some real-world experience and I may well invest some pennies in the ATV4 if / when it's released later this year to (hopefully) banish my AirPlay woes for good.