Did you see the sick Powerbook??

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
High, did you see the sick powerbook? The attached picture has been making the rounds around various forums. Apparently, this guy left his machine running SETI over night + came back to find it had melted!! It was an older 550Mhz version. Do you think its a hoax? I have to say, it made me smile!! I would be really annoyed if it happened to my machine!
 

Attachments

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
1,078
0
Minnesota
Maybe

Maybe he found aliens, and they didn't like his PowerBook. :)

I hope that this is a fake, otherwise, there are some real problems with that machine.

Gus
 

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
1,849
826
I'm betting that he left the PowerBook closed whilst running SETI overnight. That would do it.

But if it was open, the processor would have slowed itself down enough to prevent the small...um...tragedy.

Looks kinda like a Salvador Dali? The persistence of SETI. ;)
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I think he moved them. Apparently, (I cant believe), when he woke up, the machine still worked + so he saved his work + shutdown!!
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,897
0
Metairie, LA
it looks more like it was left in the heat in a car or something...I don't buy it...too many guys around here are running seti and not having their systems meltdown! :eek: ;)
 

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
1,009
0
I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility.

I have an old Dell Laptop, which lives folded up in a desk drawer, and used to be my DVD player.

If I started a DVD, and forgot to shut it down for a few days, I would open the drawer, open the notebook, and a grey substance had coated the keys.

I'd clean it off, but a while later it would be back. I can only be heat related, as I use an external KVM, never open the drawer, and seldom check the machine.

I can see in an even more enclosed environment (maybe running the TiBook in a carrying pouch) the heat being too much...
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
I still think its a hoax. However, the 550Mhz powerbooks did have some heat problems didn't they?
 

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
433
0
PA
Sleep

Wouldn't the TIbook automatically go to sleep if the lid were closed. Mine always does. Last time i looked there wasn't a setting to turn it off. Also when it is asleep it only uses something like 1watt/h of battery life. So i hardly doubt that was enough to heat the plastic to the point of melting
 

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
1,849
826
no, it wouldn't necessarily go to sleep. Apple designed the computer so that you could use the machine with the lid closed (obviously, you have to be using an external monitor).

Close your powerbook, then plug an external mouse and/or keyboard into it. It will wake up while the lid is closed.
 

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
1,275
0
WestCost, USA
Halogin lamp

It looks like it was sitting under a halogin desk lamp to me... once I came home drunk and crashed head first into bed, forgetting to turn off my halogin lamp. The next morrning I woke up to what sounded like my alarm clock only all twisted... I thought I was still dreaming. When I dragged my self out of bed, I found that my halogin lamp and melted my alarm clock. It still worked but the hot plastic was dripping through hole that was now in the top of it, onto the internal parts... the sounds it was making was ... very interesting. The radio and the alarm were going off at the same time... but all distored an slowed down.
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,897
0
Metairie, LA
Re: Halogin lamp

Originally posted by evildead
once I came home drunk and crashed head first into bed, forgetting to turn off my halogin lamp. The next morrning I woke up to what sounded like my alarm clock only all twisted... I thought I was still dreaming. When I dragged my self out of bed, I found that my halogin lamp and melted my alarm clock.
hmm...shouldn't this be in the "Have u ever been drunk" thread? ;) :D :p
 

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Looks very possible to me. The problem with some of the theories is that the keyboard melted in the middle mostly with lesser damage as you go towards the edges. This points to onc central hot spot. Maybe he left it running with the lid closed in a very hot place something like in excess of 100degrees. The combination of the trapped heat and the ambient temperature would send CPU temperaturs through the roof.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by krossfyter
not to change the topic but....has anyone really found anything intresting while using home seti?
nope and if we do, we'll never hear about it. it wil be just "a user on th seti program discovered' or "we discovered through our distributed computing program, seti@home...***blah blah blah...***"
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Originally posted by G5orbust


nope and if we do, we'll never hear about it. it wil be just "a user on th seti program discovered' or "we discovered through our distributed computing program, seti@home...***blah blah blah...***"
Not true. Apparently, SETI will disclose the User + put your name on their web site etc.
 

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
1,309
0
Originally posted by Falleron

Not true. Apparently, SETI will disclose the User + put your name on their web site etc.
o really... wow tahts pretty neat. Imagine all the fame and fortune youd get if you and only you discovered aliens! Haha taht would be the apidomy of geek accomplishments!
 

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
1,652
6
State of Denial
I think I might have found something on SETI@home once. It downloaded a work unit, then sent it back within 30 seconds, no joke. I guess I either found ET or a WHOLE lot of noise.
 

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
1,609
0
UK
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
I think I might have found something on SETI@home once. It downloaded a work unit, then sent it back within 30 seconds, no joke. I guess I either found ET or a WHOLE lot of noise.
I have had some of those units! However, its just too much noise + therefore cant effectivly process the unit. Sorry.
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Re: Did you see the sick Powerbook??

Originally posted by Falleron
High, did you see the sick powerbook? The attached picture has been making the rounds around various forums. Apparently, this guy left his machine running SETI over night + came back to find it had melted!! It was an older 550Mhz version. Do you think its a hoax? I have to say, it made me smile!! I would be really annoyed if it happened to my machine!
i am a computer tech and have seen many strange things, but...

this is most definitely a hoax!

note the the white plastic is not harmed while the keys, which would be further away from the damaging heat source, are melted

older processors which used much higher voltages would not even be hot enough to melt the keys...and if there was a processor that was that hot, why would the white, delicate plastic parts under the keys seem basically undamaged on the whole?

and if a laptop could get that hot, why would apple put it out and wouldn't it be dangerous enough to cause physical injury or even burn down a house?

when is the last time you heard about any computer's components running so hot that it burned down a house or gave a person third degree burns?...because a tibook this hot would do some serious damage to a person who touched it while hot like that

overall, in conclusion, not a bad hoax
 

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
161
1
Sydney
Maybe if the fan was broken and it was left under a rug or something it could do that.

But if it is a fake, what kind of idiot would do that to his powerbook, just to pretend that it melted by itself?

unless he had a whole stack of spare powerbook keys and melted them separately, then stuck them on the TiBook.

but still, WHY??
 

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
8,803
0
Originally posted by saint
Maybe if the fan was broken and it was left under a rug or something it could do that.

But if it is a fake, what kind of idiot would do that to his powerbook, just to pretend that it melted by itself?

unless he had a whole stack of spare powerbook keys and melted them separately, then stuck them on the TiBook.

but still, WHY??
get photoshop...the full version...not elements...you can do almost anything with it;)
 

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
669
0
Re: Re: Did you see the sick Powerbook??

Originally posted by jefhatfield


i am a computer tech and have seen many strange things, but...

this is most definitely a hoax!

note the the white plastic is not harmed while the keys, which would be further away from the damaging heat source, are melted

older processors which used much higher voltages would not even be hot enough to melt the keys...and if there was a processor that was that hot, why would the white, delicate plastic parts under the keys seem basically undamaged on the whole?

and if a laptop could get that hot, why would apple put it out and wouldn't it be dangerous enough to cause physical injury or even burn down a house?

when is the last time you heard about any computer's components running so hot that it burned down a house or gave a person third degree burns?...because a tibook this hot would do some serious damage to a person who touched it while hot like that

overall, in conclusion, not a bad hoax
there were the powerbook g3 power supplies - they hurt some and started a few fires
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.