Did you switch or stay with previous carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arnezie, Sep 21, 2013.

?

Did you stay with carrier or switch

1. Stayed with At&t

47.5%
  2. Stayed with Verizon

20.3%
  3. Stayed with sprint

3.4%
  4. Stayed with T mobil

8.5%
  5. Switched to At&t

5.1%
  6. Switched to Verizon

5.1%
  7. Switched to Sprint

1.7%
  8. Switched to T mobil

8.5%
  1. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Did you switch or stay with previous carrier? I took the opportunity to jump from At&t to Verizon because of LTE availability.

2. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that AT&T is the only carrier that allows simultaneous voice and data. With everyone else you lose your internet connection when you answer an incoming call.

3. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

This was the only downfall I thought of but I don't usually use both anyways

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

T-Mobile and AT&T both offer this feature. They're both GSM networks

5. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

I switched. Sometimes I do miss being able to browse the internet in the middle of a boring conversation or being able to research information relevant to a discussion I'm having. I miss the feature every time I find myself saying, "Let me look it up ... I'll call you right back" or when I regret answering the phone when in the middle of doing something more interesting on the internet.

OK. I forgot to count T-mobile. I'd have to pay full price for the iphone and they'd only give me $223 trade in for my 64gig iPhone 5. Besides, their coverage in my area of interest is not great.

6. Blau macrumors member

7. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

You sound like the AT&T commercial.

The real answer is:

It's not really a "feature" that the other carriers "don't allow"... it's just that the CDMA in the U.S. is not compatible with this type of usage.

It's not like Sprint PCS back in the day decided to "block" this feature or to set it up in this way, as voice+data wasn't even a thing at the time.

8. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

When my AT&T contract expires in 3 weeks im switching to Tmobile. Tmobile has really improved over the years. I inserted a dummy Tmo sim into my 5S and got better reception than AT&T

(Plus tmobile has HD Voice)

funny this is AT&T talks nonstop about their 4G network, but where i live (Erie, PA) AT&T has NO LTE service and probably won't launch it for awhile here. Meanwhile, Tmobile has LTE service here less than 1 year after launching it nationwide. It being cheaper is only a plus, not the main reason im switching over.

9. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I'm switching to T-Mobile after 12 years with verizon. T-Mobile is cheaper and their new network here was rolled out a couple months ago and is supposed to be on par with Verizon's.

10. Arnezie thread starter macrumors 65816

Arnezie

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

At the end of the day, what difference does it make, really? You can't do it, for whatever reason. Average consumer doesn't give a rip why.

"Oh, well Verizon's tech is simply incompatible? That makes me feel better about them then.", said no one ever. :p

The thing I don't understand is that LTE is not a CDMA technology. I don;t understand why both radios can't be simultaneously active. I am sure there must be some technical reason that I am just not aware of. After all, LTE is dropped on GSM networks too, in favor of 3G/4G for surfing while talking (which is painfully slow for some reason).

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I pay t-mobile $100/mo for 4 smartphones - 2 with 5gb data, 1 with unlimited, 1 with 2gb. No texts, 1000 minutes shared.

There isn't another cell service that comes remotely close on price, and the last time I renewed I ended up making money off the s3+note 2 we got.

*shrug* Ok, so I had to pay full price for my 5s. You know? It's ok. That's the first time I've ever had to actually pay for a phone with them.

It sucked for the like 5 years that you couldn't use an iPhone on T-Mobile unless you used it with EDGE, and it sucked that you had to pay full price then (and pretty much still do now), and I could go on about that..

But they've been ok otherwise lol