Did you upgrade iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S: Worth waiting longer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swampthing, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

So this Friday I'll become contractually eligible for an upgrade of my iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S, and given all the issues with battery life, I am wondering if these are things that might be sorted out through software upgrades or is it worth just waiting it out to see if Apple is forced to make a hardware modification?

The things I am looking forward to are: higher rez camera, faster processor, SIRI, and 1080P video.

Any others who upgraded from an iPhone 4, was it worth the upgrade or do you regret it now?

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

If i had 4 and cannot upgrade again next year, I would wait at this point. Battery issues are no issue after 5.01 for me

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Other then my battery being complete garbage yes the upgrade was worth it.

4. julesw macrumors member

julesw

I have both in the house, no batt issues.
    I would wait, despite the camera etc I would hold out.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I have the 4, upgraded to the 4S, realized there wasn't much noticeable difference, and sent it back.

YMMV, but unless you really need Siri, the updated camera, or the capacity bump there is very little there to push 4 owners to the 4S.

6. dffdce macrumors member

Me too (except Siri). No regrets at all. Was able to get a reasonable price for my iPhone 4 on ebay, so my net cost for the iPhone 4S was roughly $85. Battery has been great for me so far.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I upgraded and went back to the 4 a week later. The battery life issues were the main reason for me. I couldn't go from the exceptional battery life of the 4 to the subpar battery life of the 4S.

If I were you, I would just wait for the next generation of the iPhone. IMO, it's going to be next summer. I would just wait the 7-8 months instead of getting locked into a 2 year contract with the 4S.

8. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I love being able to upgrade every 12 months instead of 2 years. Wife has to wait 18 months.

I would upgrade and don't regret upgrading.

Love my 4S! :D

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

definitely worth it..the 4s is what the 4 should have been from the start.

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Too bad we cant anymore. I've been able to upgrade every 12 months since 2007. For some reason, it changed. Even though nothing in my bill has changed. Its still over 200$ a month (family plan)

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Ditto.

12. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Buy off contract... even though it's $650, you can sell your iPhone 4 for more than half that. In 12 months when the 5 comes out, sell the 4s for $400, then use your contract upgrade to get the 5 for $200.

13. tslewis macrumors member

Can I ask how much u got for it. How old was it. Was it unlocked? What capacity?

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I sold my iPhone 4 last week to buy the 4S. I bought the white 64GB 4S on Tuesday and so far I am very happy with it. Battery life seems to be the same for me as what I had on the iPhone 4. I love all the extra space for music and apps and even Siri is fun to mess with once in a while.

For me, the 64GB alone was worth the upgrade.

15. roberthodgson macrumors regular

I bought the unlocked version this time sold my old 16gb for $250
    Already saving for next years iPhone 5 :)

Taking travel mug in the morning and putting $2.00 a day into a jar why pay the coffee company when I can save it for a new IPhone :)

should have $480 saved by skipping the drive through on the way to work

16. haddman macrumors regular

Not worth it unless you really need a global phone or more storage. OS speed is not that much of an improvement as the iP4 was already pretty fast, Siri is good but you won't really use it that often....and battery life sucks. My wife still has her 4 and has no battery issues, while mine drains away, even after the update.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

Apple make a hardware modification ? It's not going to happen so I wouldn't even count on that.

Regards whether to upgrade its your call. It depends what's important to you. The extra capacity of the 64GB is important to me. The phone is definitely faster in all ways compared to the iPhone 4 but it's not as significant as coming from an older model iPhone.

I can certainly tell the difference and the improvement is worth it. Siri is not as good as it could be yet but it is good and it has a lot of potential. No doubt it will be further improved and the location based features which are only available in the US right now will be introduced elsewhere in the coming months. That said I would be surprised if Apple didn't introduce a more significantly different new phone next year.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Well worth it

Amazing how quick and smooth it is and no lag at all.

19. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I upgraded to the 4s from the 4 just to literally make money. I paid off my 4 and then some and it all went to my 4S. With that said I will upgrade to every generation to make money. However , the 4 to the 4S was not a big change. The one thing I noticed is I have to watch my battery more often with the 4s. I used to be able to web browse all through my day and not even worry about charging now I hit 20% by 3 o'clock. I don't notice any difference in the camera, I actually don't like the 4s' camera over the 4 because all the colors are washed with warm colors and everything looks the same. The only good pictures I've seen are close-up nature shots are where the true colors are. There's not a noticeable difference in speed and to test the new graphics we have to wait until december for infinity blade 2. If you have the 4 keep it it's fine unless you can sell it for more than you bought it for. I will upgrade to every new generation because people will pay big bucks for iPhones. Always.