Did you use the Migration Assistant to transfer files and settings to your new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noah82, Oct 20, 2008.

1. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Yup, the title pretty much sums it up. I am receiving my new MBP within the next 2 days, and I wanted to plan out my transition.

I currently have a 2.12GHz MBP and I have a few problems with it, the most annoying of them is that about 25% of the time the laptop does not go into standby when I close the lid. I want to try to avoid copying over problems, so I am debating whether I want to use the migration assistant to migrate to the new MBP.

I would like to know what most people who migrated from an older mac did, whether they used the migration assistant or started fresh. Also it would be helpful to know if using the migration assistant could potentially copy some of the problems that I have been having.

Thank you in advance for your comments!

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Get your self a fire wire 800 cable, I used ethernet and it took just over 6 hours to transfer 166gb of data. Firewire less then 2 hours. Or use time machine back up if you can.

3. Banacek macrumors 6502

What I'm wondering is if the Tool moves EVERYTHING over, not just files. I have a lot of custom apps installed and configured (using Macports or compiled from source) and I'd love to not have to do that all again.

4. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I belive it copies the items in the Applications folder and the preference files, though I'm not sure how it handles the items in the Application Support folder.

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

You have a choice, of user account, settings, application documents movies etc. At the beginning of the migration assistant.

6. tfleish macrumors newbie

Interesting note about ethernet vs. FW800

This is an interesting point. I came here specifically to find out if folks had found the converse to be true. Were you using a fully rated CAT5e or CAT6 cable that could actually handle 1000mbps?

7. tfleish macrumors newbie

and another (annoying) thing

why can't osx time how long a transfer is gonna take? i've noticed it before when using finder to copy/move files ... where it keeps radically changing the estimate. having used the migration assistant twice in 2 weeks I can say it does the same thing ... it claimed "less than a minute" for at least 10 minutes. weaksauce.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I just got home and plugged in my HDD by usb caddy into my new 2.53 and it suck across 210GB data in under 2 hours.

9. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

Migrating via FW800 right now. It should take less than an hour to copy all of my files and settings.

10. jasonrm macrumors member

jasonrm

I can't say that I've tried... but my best guess, is that anything like MacPorts will not be moved over by the Migration Assistent. Hope you've had better luck, but for me, if I breathe wrong MacPorts seems to go haywire.

11. effer macrumors member

I never used migration assistant before, or had any real idea of what to expect, but it moved my apps, settings and just about everything else to my new MBP in about 2hrs (about 85GB of data). However, the transfer did stall near the very end, and I had to eventually cancel the operation! But so far, it seems that everything was copied just fine. I did the transfer over ethernet.

12. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

well, you need a cable, which will cost you a few bucks... it will copy all the settings and what not over. so it's a bit easier. i do things the easier way -- copying everything onto a hard drive and then paste it in the new location. or sometimes over wi-fi.

i'm also moving my files from my macbook to a new macbook soon since i'm selling my current one to my friend. the problem is that i'm selling it before i'll be buying a new one.

theres also quite a few problems with itunes+iphone, and font book. i've isolated the problems to my current user. so i actually will not use migration assistant, but rather start a fresh user. just make sure you've got all the install files and... 1 tip for firefox:

just go to your user's library and copy-paste the user folder (I think under mozilla or firefox), and paste it in the same location in the new computer. there's also a folder somewhere (under system's library) for firefox with all the plugins and extensions. copy that too. this ensures that FF is ported to the new machine and it also works between different OSes. I ported my settings from windows after i switched :)

13. lakerfreak macrumors newbie

What about virtualization software and other OS's installed?

I have VMware Fusion with Windows Vista and Office installed in my MBP.

If I were to use the Migration Assistant to move all the files to my new MBP, do I lose these and reinstall Windows and Office?

I am asking this because there might be an issue with the registration key...

Thanks.

14. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

No. When we moved a fusion VM to a new computer (using MA or not), when you first start up, it will ask if it was copied or moved. Just choose move and you will not have to reactivate. If you choose copy, everything will move fine but windows will ask you to reactivate. Parallels does not do this and there is no issue moving a VM from one machine to another.

Note: Make sure your VM is shutdown and not left suspended. I originally had mine suspended and moving to a new machine with diff specs cause a windows blue screen that I could not repair. I might also edit your VM now if you are moving to a machine with less memory than you currently have allocated to the VM.

15. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

It stalls several times near the end, when it's moving the applications and then the application support files.

16. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

17. Banacek macrumors 6502

I figured as much. I'm really not looking forward to having to reinstall everything and reconfiguring my work environment.

Hmm, I didn't realize that Time Machine worked cross machine like that. I'll have to try that.

18. south8212 macrumors 6502

here is what i did thinking it is the most logical choice:

backed up music, movies, documents etc to an external hd then transfered them in the same places i had them on my new machine. Also just looked at my bookmarks and added them.

For the settings i went to each one individually and matched them up.

This way i got everything the same in my new machine as it was in the old. This entire process took around an hour or so.

19. Banacek macrumors 6502

Why wouldn't you use a tool? For what you did it sounds like the migration tool would have done everything for you.

20. seafurydriver macrumors member

I used firewire to migrate everything from my iMac to my new MBP today and it worked great. Took about 90 minutes to transfer 150 gig. No problems at all. It copied all my apps and settings, but I did have to install several updates (itunes refused to open until I updated). Of course I had to authorize the MBP for my itunes account, but other settings like mail and contacts were all there.

Three important points...

1. I can't believe how well migration assistant worked.
    2. I can't believe how much I like this MBP (multi touch trackpad is unbelievably cool!).
    3. I can't believe it took me so long to dump Microsoft.

21. south8212 macrumors 6502

believe it or not this was the way to go, the only large amount of files was the music, pics, documents which was backed up very easy and overall took only 20 minutes to do which is very fast.

The thing that took longer was all my settings. I was going from tiger to leopard so i thought some things might vary so i wanted to make sure i went through them all and got them exactly how i wanted.

22. Banacek macrumors 6502

I guess I didn't think that the Migration Assistant would talk longer to copy music and pictures then a normal data transfer would. Good point. I still think I have to try the Time Capsule way though, because I doubt anything else will work with the custom environment I have on my Macbook.

23. south8212 macrumors 6502

Yes the best way to do music is to put the itunes music folder on an external drive, it keeps all of your playlists as well. The actual upload from the external hd to my new mbp was about 2 minutes for around 8 gigs of music, the part that took the longest was the upload to the external hd form the old machine which took around 8 or so. Very fast.

24. vixapphire macrumors 6502

Ethernet is faster than fw800 (isn't it?). Sure you didn't have your network settings still using the Airport during your data transfer? Seems like a really long time to be dragging out a transfer via ethernet to me.

25. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Nope i didn't the good old drag and drop method