Did You Vote?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Huntn, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We early voted yesterday at the library (early voting started on Monday in Houston). It look 45 minutes to get through the line. Due to a court ruling against the Texas Voter ID Law, if you did not have a picture ID, you could fill out an affidavit and vote.

Ever since we moved to Texas, I have been aggravated how difficult absentee voting is in this state. In a previous year when we were going to be in Europe, they suggested I mail the ballot from Europe and if I wanted to send it in before I left, they suggested I travel to an adjacent country to mail it. This is the extent to which voter suppression leads towards major inconvienence. This is the frick'n digital age, not horse and buggy age. (I realize that mailing in a ballot is not digital, but still...) :rolleyes: In contrast I absentee voted for 30 years in Minnesota, no questions asked, the difference between progressive and regressive.

Regarding Trust's suggestion that Trump supporters go to polling places to monitor, there was a line marked with signs around the library where loitering was not allowed, only voters or library patrons could pass. So much for another bright Trust idea. :rolleyes::oops:

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Have my ballot but need to fill it out and mail it in. One of the nicer things about living in Washington.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I will vote this Friday.
    I am thrilled because it's the first time ever I vote for a US presidential election.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Colorado also does mail-in only voting. My ballot is mostly filled out, but I'm still trying to find some information about the 20 judges that are up for retention.

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

In the South we have a saying," We don't care how you do things up North."

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I live in one of the 37 states that allow early by-mail voting. Works perfectly.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-early-voting.aspx

If you are saying that you want online voting -- trust me, you don't.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thinking of a witty response. Don't hold your breath. ;) Seriously, convenience and efficiency must count for something.

I'd be happy with absentee/mail in ballot as the accepted norm. As far as digital, if we trust all of our financial transactions with online banking, why not digital voting? I can understand the fraud concern. Any system like this would have to be robust with safeguards and a method of verifying all sorts of things. :)

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I filled out mine yesterday and dropped it off last night. Feels good to have voted and to be done with it now.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Anyway, yes I voted last Thursday, no I didn't vote for Hillary, then I drove across the state of North Carolina and did not see one Hillary yard sign.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Did you see a lot of Donald yard signs?

Perhaps there are a lot of "shy" Hillary voters in NC. The polls are showing Clinton with a slight but steady edge.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

When I went to vote, I didn't see any shy Hillary voters, they were all yakking up a storm, only too happy to tell you who they were voting for.

I din't see a lot of Trump signs, but one is infinitely more that zero.

12. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why are you guys voting early? go all at the same time
    [​IMG]

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'm writing in Kyle Schwarber if he hits over .500 in the WS.

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Probably smart - in this environment putting any type of political sign in your yard is just asking for trouble.

I say this as a Democrat living in Texas. My mama didn't raise no fool...

Regarding the OP - I went on Monday, but the line was too long to wait through during my lunch break. I'm going to try again today. I'm just dying to get it over with.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, I'm voting for election day. Early voting in Missouri is a hassle unfortunately.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2016 ---
    Yard signs don't vote. I drove halfway across Illinois over the weekend and only saw Trump signs. It doesn't mean Trump is going to win Illinois.

17. Robisan macrumors 6502

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you have the date wrong.....hillary-haters are voting november 28th :p

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What the hell? What was the reasoning for this? Why did the location whence you mailed it matter?

20. chown33 macrumors 604

First simple reason: banking isn't anonymous, voting is. They both need authentication and non-repudiation, but banking has no need for anonymity. Anonymity is in direct conflict with banking's transparent audit trails, should it be necessary to roll back transactions. Which raises another issue: how would you "roll back" votes (transactions) and possibly declare a different winner? Money is fungible in that regard; holding an elected office not so much.

There are plenty more reasons, and a lot of them are subtle or fiendishly difficult to solve while preserving all the desired properties, such as anonymity. Lots of smart and dedicated people look at these issues all the time, and they write papers about it. If there were a major breakthrough, it would be widely known pretty quickly.

21. Huntn, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Absentee ballot. :rolleyes: You know if I mail it from where I live I'm not absent. :oops: It's very possible that person at the voter office did not know what they were talking about. :oops:

You might have convinced me. :p However I had a control number, and had to put that into the voting machine to vote. I assume that control number is tied to both my name where I had to sign a voter registration sheet and my vote record. Not sure how anonymous that is... I imagine the same kind of relationships could be established and maintained online, maybe not?

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well that's some pretty solid BS right there. Oy.

23. chown33 macrumors 604

I wouldn't assume the control number is tied to my name. Voting systems are designed for anonymity, and are reviewed and analyzed by people who understand this criterion very well.

I'd have to know exactly what machines were being used, then look up the system they were being used under, and find out the exact role a control number played. Even with the machine and system info, I might not be able to find details, without making a direct query of whoever was in charge of that system in whatever state and county you reside in.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Me too.

The old fashioned way.

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was going to vote on my lunch break today, but realized I forgot my wallet with ID in it at home so I need to go back tomorrow or Friday instead and try again.