Didn’t last a month

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Scarpad, May 7, 2019.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Bought a 12inch 2017 brand new MacBook on 4/17 not even a month and the WiFi has gone belly up. I did the fixes of removing and creating new configuration files, setting a custom location , but it didn’t fix the issue. I’m on the latest version of mohave.

I did buy AppleCare, it’s still under reg warranty but it stinks I have to have it serviced already and I bet their solution is to replace a brand new machine with a refurb. I think no more macs for me

2. richinaus macrumors 6502a

I agree, no more macs for you as things like this would never happen with a PC.

3. Texas26257 macrumors regular

Texas26257

I think your right never ever would happen on a pc. Every one knows there cust service is top notch LOL

4. acorntoy, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019

acorntoy macrumors 65816

My dad bought a top of the line iMac, screen failed the next day. Apple promptly fixed it.

Ten years later, the iMac is still working perfectly.

Sometimes electronics come defective, its not the end of the world, lets not make a mountain out of a molehill here.

5. chabig macrumors 603

Damn those warranties. You'll probably get a new machine and pay nothing. Evil Apple! I agree with the others. You should definitely leave the Apple community after such treatment. When a Dell fails, you can take it to the Dell store for immediate replacement...

6. Scarpad thread starter macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I’m still evaluating it still works ok on power

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Someone is in for a rude awakening when they switch (speaking as someone who has a 2018 XPS 15 (work provided) and a 2017 MBP sitting on their desk). Grass is always greener on the other side.

But hey, life is short, do what you want. :) Bashing Apple and thinking Apple is crap is very "in" today. So keep it up, doing great.

8. Scarpad thread starter macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Windows laptops have just as many issues I'm well aware

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Instead of continuing to spend more time ruminating over the obvious, contact Apple. Even if they give you a refurb, it will look and run brand new and you will still have your warranty.

Complaining about Apple and not giving them the opportunity to abide by their AC agreement is not logical, in my opinion.

10. Scarpad thread starter macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I think the issue was around a usb c adapter I sometimes use to add USB A and HDMI, without it it seems fine

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I am not impressed with USB C adapters. I have 4 of them for my MBP from 2 different companies. One of them heats up like crazy (even with nothing plugged into it) and lowers my MBP's battery life significantly. The others don't do well with wireless USB A adapters. I have 2 HDMI USB C adapters and they do fairly well, although one requires plugging / unplugging several times to get the monitor to recognize it. These aren't Apple adapters.

Been giving up on my old USB devices and have gone Bluetooth.

12. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

USB adapters are a known issue with these new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The problem is the lack of shielding on part of the USB adapter, which is why it's interfering with the 2.4 GHz WiFi band. There are really only two solutions: a) get a new adapter, b) switch to the 5 GHz WiFi range.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not really, my Thinkpad X1E, is one of the best laptops i've ever owned. Windows is stable fast, I have access to more software then the Mac, the hardware is by far better then my MBP. Blanket statements like everyone will be in for a rude awakening just doesn't jive.

My Thinkpad, is only a few millimeters thicker then the current MBP, yet it has USB-A, USB-C, SD card slot, an Ethernet dongle port, a much better keyboard, both in feel and durability. I can update/upgrade the SSD, ram, and replace the battery. The screen is a 4k touch screen and while MBPs have better color and brightness, I prefer the increased screen real estate. Now, thanks to sales, I paid 2286 for a 1TB/32GB configuration with a 3 year warrenty. A MBP would run in the 4,000 dollar range for such a configuration.

In short, I got a faster, more upgradeable, better quality laptop for 2 grand less then what Apple would have charged me

14. BigMcGuire, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have had so many problems with my XPS 15 (work purchased) that it has been painful - I still use it everyday. My little brother doesn't even use his XPS 13 anymore.

The X1E looks amazing - very jealous. That keyboard.... <drool>. If I had to buy a windows machine today, what you've got is what I'd get. Glad to hear it is working out for you. Very very jealous.

My statement is just to focus on the fact that Macs aren't the only laptops with problems. Our office is a Windows office so I get to hear about a lot of problems with all different types of laptops (HP, Dell, Acer, etc...). There are a lot of problems with a lot of laptops out there. Even though I know Windows better and work with it all day, I still like Mac OS better.

15. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

You might change the title of your rant thread, integrity and all that...