Didn't expect the 5S to be so popular.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indecisi0n, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Went into my local Apple store yesterday and before I could even ask for stock they already had a Apple printed sign hanging in the window "All out of stock." :)
    I figure with the phone being so similar to the 5 people wouldn't really care about it. Then just out of curiosity I spoke to the guy and he said all local stores sold out, online sold out, and they disabled buying it via iphone and picking it up in stores. So my question is, Are there that many fanboys or was Apples stock that low to begin with?

2. pmau macrumors 65816

It's always the same.

People say Apple is doomed and isn't innovating.
    Then everyone who already has last years model buys the next one.

(I did the same)

I think it's kind of funny. Everyone I know has upgraded as well.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

It IS pretty different from the 5. It's the biggest "S" update ever. Some people get too caught up in "oh the physical design is the same" but it really is a pretty big leap. Bigger than 3G-3GS, and 4-4S.

4. Snoosedaddy macrumors regular

I have a IP5 and didn't see a need to upgrade. My wife, on the other hand, is coming from a dying IP4 and is in need of an upgrade. She honestly doesn't care what version, so made the choice for her Silver 5S over 5C. I really think Apple should have waited to release this phone until after the Chinese holiday to give them an extra 2 weeks to build up supply constraints. Oh well, she waited an extra year, what's another 12 days.

5. quickcalibre macrumors regular

quickcalibre

It's partly due to low stock though.

I know apple have sold 9 million iphones so far.

But my local apple store hasn't even had 200 iphones in yet.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Nothing suprising, reports about production constraints have been reported by many analysts for months before the announcement of the 5S.

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Because it's on constrained supplies and apple has a lot of "iSheep" and people under indoctrination... oops I mean the reality distortion field

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

....said the guy with five apple devices listed in his signature.

9. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

It's always the same and the 5s is big upgrade compared to the 4,4s etc :)

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

they were all gifts :p, I didn't spend a single dime on any of them, except the monthly bills of course

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Real or not, Apple is master of marketing. Even if you don't want an iPhone you want to know what Apple is doing, you want to hear what others are saying about the iPhone. The yearly release is become a cultural happening. So whether or not you believe Apple deserves it or believe those 9 million phones the said they sold in 1 weekend, the appearance is clearly there. You may not just walk up to a store and expect to immediately walk out with one.

12. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I also find it funny how people can say apple is going the way of blackberry.. But people weren't lining up outside of stores to buy the latest blackberry phones. Apple has changed since the Steve days, but it's still apple. Majority of the people are still there.

Another thing is how so many people were saying iOS was stale (me included) but when apple puts out iOS 7, so many of those people hate the change and want iOS 6 back. Long story somewhat short, I think people like to complain just to complain. They hear the news say apples doomed, so they believe it too. Te best thing is to form your own opinion and go from there :)

13. urkel macrumors 68030

I don't know if this is popular in other circles but in my group of friends/coworkers then they're all in the "S" cycle of their 2yr contracts so that's why they're upgrading now.

14. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

That's not what it looks like when you're using them in public, you're still a walking billboard for the brand you despise.

15. zipster macrumors 6502

I upgraded from the 4 and I love it so much! It's everything I loved about my 4, but faster, more advanced, etc.

I always thought the 4-inch screen was awkward because it was only longer, not wider, but after owning it, it's not a bad size.

16. LagLiquidators macrumors member

LagLiquidators

I've stopped being surprised by how many iPhones Apple can sell.

17. bushman4 macrumors 68000

5S us a great piece of technology and we haven't even seen the upcoming features yet to be released

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

IMO it's the best hardware on the market. If you want a high end phone without going big, as far as I'm aware, it's the only hardware option.

19. Spacial macrumors 6502

It comes with the Apple logo. That's all you need to know :)

20. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

the 4S was pretty similar to the 4 and yet people flocked on doves to get that too. Its the same story every year.

WHat do you mean apple's stock was low to begin with? 9 million phones sold on launch weekend is more than any other launch. They had MORE stock this year than any other year.

21. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised by this all the time. The 5S is targeted at 4S users who now have an upgrade, not 5 users. Sure, some 5 users will upgrade, but really just us tech guys.

22. munakib macrumors 6502

9mil is a mix of both phones (5c and 5s) and is the "shipped" number, not direct sales. There could be 4mil 5c still unsold with carriers and not to mention how many in Apple Stores as there are no reports of 5c selling out.

5s was extremely limited, maybe you did not readup about it on the news prior to its official launch day. And yes, everyone with 4S's had the chance to upgrade to 5s causing natural demand.

23. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

4>4S was the biggest
    -The camera improved more than 5>5S
    -real world speed increased about the same as 5>5S ( I don't care what benchmark numbers apple releases)
    -Siri

24. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Then look at the non apple benchmarks.

[​IMG]

4 -> 4S: Camera and Siri. Yawn. Half of people don't use Siri.
    5 -> 5S: vastly improved camera (two tone flash makes a world of difference), TOUCH ID. I don't know why people are downplaying the touch ID. Probably its hard to see the big picture of touch id and what it will lead to in the future.

25. taedouni macrumors 65816

The only reason why I am getting a 5s (from a 5) is because VZW is currently allowing those with UD lines upgrade at the discounted price and keep their UD.

I had a ghost line that isn't up for an upgrade until September 2014. So it looks like I'll also be getting the iPhone 6 :D