Didnt know its legal for hunters to shoot dogs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by glocke12, Jun 11, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

On another forum I posted a question wondering if its safe now to be out in the woods with my dog here in eastern PA....Didnt realize Id be stirring up a firestorm!

I was read the riot act when I mentioned I often hike with my dog off leash in remote areas.

Apparently it is legal for a hunter to shoot a dog chasing ANY game animal (small or large), and several people mentioned that if they saw a dog running free they would "shoot first and ask questions later"...

damn...I really have nothing against hunting or hunters, but does anyone else think this is just being a little bit trigger happy?

2. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

I'd like to see the law that allows that. I can understand if your dog is a threat to the hunter, but to shoot a dog, intentionally, just because you saw it running through the woods? Seems a little odd to me.

Of course you could just get 2 or 3 of these bad boys and turn 'em loose :D

[​IMG]

And no that's not photoshopped, they can grow to be over 6 feet tall (on hind legs) and over 200 pounds :eek:

If you want a good laugh have a read here. Its #5 on the list.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-lovable-animals-you-didnt-know-are-secretly-terrifying/

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

4. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

5. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Be careful with cracked, its more addictive then WoW.

Also, I read through (some) of that thread, I think this gentleman summed it up best,

You'd THINK people wouldn't shoot until they have a clear shot lined up, but we both know better. :(

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This is why I hate hunting for sport.....

There is actually a law that says because a dog takes away your chance to kill an animal, you can kill the dog. Ridiculous.

7. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

"This is why I hate hunting for sport.....

There is actually a law that says because a dog takes away your chance to kill an animal, you can kill the dog. Ridiculous.
    Yesterday 10:26 PM"

Yeah, I was shocked to say the least when I found out there were people who very willingly would shoot a dog if they thought the dog was chasing a game animal.

Turns out these guys are actually misreading the law also. The dog needs to be physically attacking the animal, not chasing, before it can be killed.

Like I said, Ive hunted, and have friends that hunt but everyone I know that is a hunter would never condone such a thing....

What a bunch of trigger happy fudd's.

8. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

The problem is that the idea that a dog might interfere with a hunt is just the excuse and never the truth, real or imagined by any party. The reality is that there are some extreme rednecks that go out to hunt, don't see anything for hours on end, and get so tired of sitting in the woods without entertainment that they will shoot anything that moves, whether they're hunting for it or not. Squirrels, (non-game) birds, even trees and shrubberies are fair targets for the bored hunting hillperson. So if they see a dog? Even more fun to alleviate their self imposed boredom. The common addition of alcohol compounds the issue. Hunting is great, if it weren't for the majority of hunters.

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I thought you were only allowed to shoot the dog if the wife wasn't around to kick? :p

Seriously, I've never heard of a dog getting shot on purpose. How many would let the dog out during hunting season?

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Uh. Don't you use dogs off the leash as a hunter to find the prey after it's shot to make sure you didn't just wound it?

In Europa a hunter always has a dog with him. Without a leash.

What do hunters here? Shoot their own dogs?

11. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Maybe bird hunting, never saw one going after bigger game though.

Usually around hunting season, most folks keep the kids and the animals in the house to avoid any incidents.

12. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Just because it's legal doesn't mean people do it. Anyone who would shoot a dog for acting like a dog is a dog.

13. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Check out the thread I posted a link to. Many who replied state they would happily shoot a dog caught chasing game.

From what I can tell it this can happen year round, not just during deer season.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You have to be careful - like another posted mentioned, you don't know what sort of idiot is out there running around with a dangerous weapon, especially if they've read a law that allows them to shoot a dog running freely in a certain situation. Just look through that thread - there's enough posters there to let it sink in that not everyone thinks the same. Some people don't think at all..

15. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I think that is just a case of them trying to sound e-tough. I highly doubt that they would shoot a dog chasing game in real life.